Doctor Who Reactions: "Asylum of the Daleks" (SPOILERS)

1)Skaro? Didn't the Seventh Doctor blow it up 25 years ago? I guess it got better.

2)I'm not buying the Amy/Rory divorce scenario. Not that our heroes couldn't have marital troubles, more that the  scenario as presented seems too "manufactured", too "Plot Convenience Playhouse".  It's as though our Steven said "Hmm, what's a good plot twist? I know - 'Amy and Rory have marital troubles'. But on what pretext? I know, they can't have children!"  Had they never heard of adoption? RTD handled this soap opera stuff much better. (Oooh, a fanboy milestone! Unfavorably comparing the new guy to the old guy who I used to dump on all the time!)

3)"The Parliament of the Daleks" - What the heck do Daleks need a Parliament for?  Surely they wouldn't bother with even the trappings of a democracy!  The Supreme Dalek consults with his Scientists, Strategists and the Eternal as he sees fit, and issues orders that the Drones carry out. No need for a Parliament!  Do they have elections? I imagine a Dalek party political broadcast:

Dalek Candidate: I am committed to the total extermination of all other life forms!

Dalek Voter: Liberal rubbish!

Also, I notice the Dalek Parliament seems to be all "old paradigm" Daleks.

4)"Save the Daleks!" "Well, this is new."

5)I see they've mucked about with the opening a bit. Meh.

6)Also - where does the Prime Minister fall in the scheme of things? I suspect Moffat of thinking "What's something new I can do with the Daleks?" without really worrying about how it's all supposed to work.

7)"It is offensive to us to extinguish such divine hatred." Nonsense - Daleks that aren't up to snuff are exterminated, they've always done that.

8)"Does it surprise you to know that the Daleks have a concept of beauty?" Well, yeah, considering it's not so long since Daleks were proclaiming that they had "no concept of elegance".

9)"You think hatred is beautiful." "Perhaps that is why we have never been able to kill you."  That, and you're all such colossal screw-ups.

10)"Predator of the Daleks" - Oooh, you're wasting a perfectly good story title, there!

11)"Don't be fair to the Daleks when they're firing me at a planet!"

12)The Daleks zombies are kind of creepy. "The Exterminating Dead"?

13)"Eggs!"

14)They made alot of noise about using the old Daleks, but they didn't make that much use of them.

15)"Who killed all the Daleks?" "Who do you think?"  "Who threw those pies?"

16)"Spiridon, Kembel, Aridius, Vulcan, Exxilon - ring any bells?"  Without looking them up:  "Planet of the Daleks", "Mission to the Unknown", "The Chase", "Power of the Daleks", "Death to the Daleks".

17)"You made them forget me?"  I call b.s. on two counts:

• Count the First:  One lone prisoner locked away on an asylum somehow manages to memory wipe ALL Daleks EVERYWHERE?
  • Count the Second: Aren't the Daleks going to figure out pretty quickly that SOMETHING has been removed from their racial memory? "Hmm, we're the superior life form in the universe, but our plans have gone drastically wrong dozens of times for reasons none of us can remember?"

18)"Doctor Who?" Oh, dear.

19)You do suspect from early on that something is "off" about Souffle Girl - I didn't quite see the ending coming, I figured she'd be another Dalek puppet like the zombies were. I gather that's the new girl playing her. She seems OK.

Overall: A flawed but watchable story, what Moffat needs is a Terrance Dicks to whip a little logic into his scripts.

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

• Amy working as a model? Makes sense to me!

Not to me.  She's too old.  Modelling/fashion is a sick, sick industry!

I thought the Rory/Amy divorce made no sense. I never believed the actors in those scenes. It just didn't seem organic to the characters they had established. And it gave the sense that without the Doctor, when left alone for a long period of time, Rory and Amy get bored with each other and drift apart. Which makes no sense with what we know about them from all the previous episodes.

My feelings exactly.  Actually, my ability to believe in the characters, or remotely care about them took a hammering early on.  Amy acted with nothing but contempt for Rory in their early episodes together.  You couldn't even see any affection under the contempt.  That he would put up with that sort of treatment, or that she would just keep him around for (what? convenience? nasty amusement?) made them both look contemptable.  Then we were told that she really loved him, but on the acting level there was no development that took us there.  Then this sudden divorce talk, combined with the fact that the Doctor's previous departure from them was sold as his last for the Big Sentimental Send-Off, convinced me that Moffatt was just putting any old shite up on the screen because that's what he thought 'drama' meant.

Rory dying all the time, like a trans-temporal Kenny from South Park, didn't help things either.  Obvious viewer manipulation for its own sake = off-putting.

I never really bought the Amy/Rory romance to begin with. The chemistry between the Doctor and Amy (and between Matt Smith and Karen Gillam) lept off the screen. They felt right together. She humanized and inspired him. Later on they made Rory a real person and his relationship with Amy was more "real" yet always tinged with sorrow and tragedies, either forthcoming or temporary (how often can you say that!!!).

Remember, Amy was supposed to be "damaged goods" when we meet her with the whole town thinking that she's a few cans of Spam short of a Monty Python skit. So what does that make Rory? The male nurse with the crazy (though incredibly hot) girlfriend? Was he lacking in the respect standings of the town, too? I wonder what their relationship was really based on?

Karen Gillan had her moments, but Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill are much more experienced and talented actors. So it's a relief to have Rory in an episode because it gives Smith something more to work with.

That said, one of my favourite episodes of the Smith run is The Lodger--and Closing Time is also good--and those are very light on Rory and Amy content. Then again, two of my favourite Tennant episodes, don't even have very much of Tennant in them--I'm sure you can guess what those two are.

I thought part of the reason the Day of the Doctor worked so well was because there was no Amy or Rory or RIver Song.  Stories become very contrived and unengaging with them around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service