Doctor Who Reactions: "Blink" (SPOILERS)

1) Another "Doctor lite" or what they call a "double banking" episode, which was filmed concurrently with the previous story.  Typically, I don't like these, but this one was pretty good as these go, with an interesting gimmick - presaging some of the time travel tricks that our Steven will play once he takes over the series.

2)The Weeping Angels were an interesting baddy - at least until he broke them in their second appearance, but I'll discuss that then. Another menace from the dawn of time. Nice and creepy, though, the sort of thing that would keep you up at night. The idea doesn't really make sense - how would such a critter have evolved?  But their "creepiness" factor outwieghs that.

3)Sally Sparrow was a fun protagonist - the kind of character that would've made a good companion had the cards fallen that way.  Kathy Nightingale and Billy Shipton were fun characters, too.

4)Some fun quotes:

• "You told him you were 18, you lying cow."
  • "The only psychopaths in the universe that kill you nicely."
  • "I knew you would live in Scooby-Doo's house."
  • "It's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff."  So that's where that started!
  • "The angels have the phone box."
  • "And you can't kill a stone." No, but you could at least try taking a sledgehammer to one, and see if that works.
  • "Don't blink. Don't even blink.  Blink and you're dead."
  • "They're never gonna move again."  At least, not until someone decides to nick one for their garden.
  • "I'm rubbish at weddings, especially my own."

Overall:  As above, not bad for an episode where the Doctor hardly appears.

[Part of list of Doctor Who episodes here.]

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is perhaps my favorite episode of series three, but it’s my favorite because it’s perfect for indoctrinating newcomers to the mythos of Doctor Who, a purpose to which I’ve put it on a number of occasions with varying degrees of success (mostly positive). It requires no set-up whatsoever or any prior knowledge of the series on the viewer’s part; just sit back and experience it from Sally Sparrow’s POV. Unfortunately, it has become the template for much of Moffet’s later work, whereas I think it works best as a standalone episode, without being beaten into the ground. The Weeping Angels were far less interesting or effective in subsequent appearances, and if I never heard the phrase “wibbly wobbly timey wimey” used on the show again I’d be happy.

• This and Planet of the Dead are my two favorite stand-alones.  Blink also allowed for what is my favorite Doctor Who novel, Touched by an Angel...just a great book.

• "Unfortunately, it has become the template for much of Moffet’s later work, whereas I think it works best as a standalone episode, without being beaten into the ground."

Unfortunately, I've seen this sort of thing happen far too much.  Take a one-time "Oh, isn't this a CLEVER idea????" idea, and then over-do it to death. And it WASN'T a favorite of mine in the first place. I doubt I'll ever want to see this one again... or, the 2-parter that preceded it.

• I finally saw this in its entirety. What a horrific episode! I saw the Weeping Angels episodes with the Eleventh Doctor but this was even scarier! 

The concept of getting trapped in time would occur several times again, of course, but not as poignant as it it here! 

In a city as old as London, there are statues everywhere and a lot of them are frightening! 

btw, the Weeping Angels made a cameo in a Witcher game!

This reply was deleted.