Doctor Who Reactions: Logopolis

Tegan’s initial adventure before she becomes an actual “companion.” I feel sorry for her auntie. I remember having a difficult time figuring out exactly what was supposed to be going the first time I watched this one (until I read about it in my episode guide, anyway). Now that I know up front the Doctor materialized his TARDIS around the Master’s TARDIS which was in turn materialized around the actual police box the Doctor thought he was materializing around, it makes more sense. But what made Tegan think she was in some sort of travelling vessel? That’ seems quite the intuitive leap. I liked Tegan when I first “met” her, but after having now seen some most of the later episodes I see how annoying she can be.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tegan had her moments, but she could be quite grating sometimes.  Most of the time.

I've heard it said that the old show never quite recovered from Tom Baker's departure.  I think there's some validity to that, but I also sometimes wonder if it might be that the old show never recovered from Tom staying so long.  I think there are other factors - JN-T could've used someone to rein in some of his wackier ideas, for example - but I do wonder if it might've been better for the show (and perhaps for Baker, as well) if he'd done only three series, as Patrick Troughton recommended to Peter Davison.  That would've had him leaving around the time of "The Talons of Weng-Chiang", and would've allowed Louise Jameson to serve as a transitional companion. Properly written, Leela's reaction to a regeneration could've been priceless.

• It's difficult to say, even with 20/20 hindsight, how things might have gone differently and what factors led to the show's eventual cancellation. Still, 26 years is a phenominal record for any show!

Which was the story (a fairly recent DVD release) in which the Doctor thinks he's going to get rid of Tegan but ends up being stuck with her again anyway? The look on his face at the end of that episode is classic!

• "Arc of Infinity" - as it happened, I watched that one last night to see the perfromance of the late Michael Gough.
  • Ah, yes... thank you.
  • I think JNT should've stayed only three years.
  • For the record, I love brassy women and so I love The Mouth On Legs. 

I know that she's mostly out of the acting game, but I would love to see Janet Fielding reprise the role.  (A Tegan-Rose throwdown would have been mind-blowingly awesome.)

• I love Tegan, too.
  • Janet Fielding has recently performed as Tegan for the Big Finish Doctor Who audios stories.
  • One more thing: I had completely forgotten that the Doctor left Adric at one point to have a private conversation with the "Watcher." Wish I had been a fly on that wall (bridge, whatever...)!
  • I love this episode simply because of the sheer lunacy of his plan to materialize the TARDIS underwater and open the doors. The look of pure glee on Baker's face as he relates this plan is priceless.
This reply was deleted.