"A Holiday for the Doctor":

1)Ah, yes, "Doctor Who and the Questionable 'American' Accents"...

2)"Doctor Caligari." "Doctor Who".

3)"Mr. Werp." For some reason, I find that gag endlessly amusing.

4)He can face down armies of Daleks, but he's afraid to go to the dentist!  Not that I blame him.

5)"I never touch alcohol." "Well, I do."

6)"I certainly disapprove of violence."

7)"Let's hope the piano knows it."

8)Cliffhanger: Steven sings at gunpoint!

"Don't Shoot the Pianist":

9)"The Clanton Brothers - oh, dear. I mean, eh, how do you do?"

10)Hartnell is quite good in this.

11)"Well, I don't have no gun."  "Exactly! That's the whole point, isn't it?"

12)"People keep giving me guns and I do wish they wouldn't."

13)Cliffhanger: The Clantons threaten to lynch Steven!

"Johnny Ringo":

14)I gotta find a good book about what actually did happen at the O.K. Corral.

15)"He gave me a gun, he extracted my tooth - good gracious me, what more do you want?"

16)"Ringo!"  This must be from before he became a drummer.

17)"I shall try not to kill you. I shall aim for your arm."

18)Cliffhanger:  The Clantons kill Warren Earp!

"The O.K. Corral":

19)Deputy Doc!

20)"I'm sorry, Johnny." 

21)"Ringo was here." "And?" "He ain't no more."

22)I really wish the new show would do a "pure" historical, just once, just to see what it would be like.

23)Cliffhanger:  A primitive-looking type clambers over a rock, or something!

Overall:  For a serial that for many years had a reputation as one of the worst stoies the old show ever did, this was quite fun.  I enjoyed this and would have no problem watching it again. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I couldn't agree more.  I thought this was delightful.  Hartnell was a real hoot and Yes, the "Mr. Werp" gag just never gets old.
  • When two new stories are released, I generally watch them in “Doctor order” (i.e., broadcast order), except if the later one is some sort of milestone. One exception I never make, though, is not watching the First Doctor first whenever one is released. I think it’s say for me to say that Hartnell is my favorite Doctor. That’s not to say I think he’s the best or most experienced, but he is certainly my favorite. Even Tracy, every time Harnetll comes on screen comments, “He’s so cute!”

We’re two episodes in. I had heard about the atrocious American accents, but I hadn’t realized “The Gunfighters” is more of a comedy than it is an historical. The direction is quite ambitious, but the sets are disappointing. I think if I had a working time machine, I might travel to a time after the invention of Novocain before having my tooth treated.

I gotta find a good book about what actually did happen at the O.K. Corral.

It’s been made into a movie on several occasions, most not much more factual than this serial, I’ve heard. I’ve never seen any of them, but the one I’ve wanted to see for a long time is “My Darling Clementine.” I plan to follow this up with Star Trek’s “Specter of the Gun” (which I’m planning to spring as a surprise on Tracy, who hates Shatner).
  • Jeff of Earth-J said:
    ... which I’m planning to spring as a surprise on Tracy, who hates Shatner).

[Rocky the Flying Squirrel] That trick never works! [/Rocky the Flying Squirrel]
  •  I think if I had a working time machine, I might travel to a time after the invention of Novocain before having my tooth treated.

I suppose one rationale might be that considering how in those days he had little to no control over where or when the TARDIS landed,  he may've felt fortunate to've landed someplace where dentistry actually existed.

• Long thought this would make a great triple feature...

DOCTOR WHO -- "The Gunfighters"

STAR TREK -- "Spectre Of The Gun"

THE PRISONER -- "Living In Harmony"

• It would, at that!

[Rocky the Flying Squirrel] That trick never works! [/Rocky the Flying Squirrel]

I'll let you know.
  • Henry R. Kujawa said:

Long thought this would make a great triple feature...

DOCTOR WHO -- "The Gunfighters"

STAR TREK -- "Spectre Of The Gun"

THE PRISONER -- "Living In Harmony"

It would, at that!
  • Watched one of the extras last night - it was about Hartnell's last year on the show.  Apparently, there was an initial plan to switch him out while he was "invisible" during "The Celestial Toymaker", but then the production team changed and the plan was scrapped.  Peter Purves comes across as a big defender of Hartnell's legacy, whereas Anneke Wills makes it pretty clear that she and Michael Craze did not enjoy working with him.
  • Sounds like they were happy to see him go.  Of course, THEY were the next ones to be given the push.

Doesn't it really separate US and UK programs, where in the States, people often do whatever they can to keep actors on a long-running show, while in England, on both sides (actors and producers) so many seem in a hurry to move on to the next job?

I can still remember in the 80's people asking me, WHY do they keep changing girls on WHO so often?

• I have been planning to pick this up but haven't done so yet. It is one of my favourite stories but on certain levels you can tell that it is being done for laughs & ratings (Westerns were big in the 50s and 60s kiddos) but Hartnell does put his own brand on it. I get a kick of the whole Mr. Werp bit myself. It really is a shame so many of his and Troughton's stories are still among the missing. I would love to see the complete Massacre or Reign of Terror (I have seen the second with the linking material on video but I would much rather see the actual original stories). I am only missing three existing stories in one format or the other. My big concern is for partial stories if they do them on DVD like they did for The Invasion or will they do linking material like The Crusades or a composite episode like the VHS version of Tenth Planet.
This reply was deleted.