Doctor Who Reactions: "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" (SPOILERS)

1)Our Steven shows his gist for creepy stories with this one. Lots of good scary moments in this one - I especially liked the bit with the TARDIS phone ringing. I like the moments where even the Doctor seems a little bit weirded out. The transformatio scene was very unnerving, too. I do recall some wit somewhere suggesting that if they really wanted to scare the Doctor, they should have him being chased by a little kid saying, "Are you my daddy?"

2)And we get the introduction of Captain Jack Harkness, whom our Russell said was named after Agatha Harkness, in case you didn't know that he was a nerd boy. Can't say as I was all that wild about Captain Jack when I first saw him - he seemed too much of a glib pretty boy for my tastes. I'm still not a big fan of his even now, but he's grown on me a bit.  I note that the series never made much of the concept of the Time Agents after this - maybe it was developed more in Torchwood?  "Two years of my life - no idea what I did."  Did Torchwood ever develop that? I note that Jack has psychic paper, too, so I guess there's a psychic stationery store somewhere.

3)Some fun Eccleston moments in this - I like the low-key "Alpha male posturing" between him and Jack, as well as the explanation for the sonic screwdriver: "Never had alot of cabinets to put up?" And some good scenes between the Doctor and Rose: "I think you can assume at some point I've danced." And I liked the Doctor's joy at the end, "Everybody lives!"

4)Some good guest performances here, too, particularly form the actors playing Doctor Constantine and Nancy.

5)Cliffhanger: Team TARDIS are surrounded by gas-mask Zombies!  Which the Doctor resolves by saying "Go to your room!"  Well, that's new. As he said: "I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words."

6)Some Fun Quotes:

• "Not very Spock, is it?"
  • "I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical."
  • "Before this war began, I was a father and a grandfather. Now, I'm neither. ButI'm still a Doctor." "Yeah, I know the feeling."
  • "Flag Girl was bad enough - but U-Boat Captain?"
  • "Funny little human brains. How do you get around in those things?"
  • "Don't drop the banana!" "Why not?" "Good source of potassium."
  • "I've got a banana, and in a pinch, you could put up some shelves."
  • "I've traveled with alot of people, but you're setting new records for jeopardy-friendly."  Apparently, Rose didn't pay much attention to this statement, or maybe she wouldn't've been so surprised when Sarah Jane showed up.
  • "I think you're experiencing captain-envy."
  • "Yes, I am your mummy."
  • "Who am I to argue with history?"  "Usually the first in line."

Overall: A nice little two-parter, very atmospheric and creepy, and with some nice acting in as well.

Views: 431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always thought that was one of RTD's lamer ideas.

Coulda been worse;

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

I love the internet. 

Oh, I loved that Jack becomes something else important to the mythology.  Heaven only knows that kind of weird and wonderful adventures he went through to get to that state.

"New Earth" also hints at a whole slew of yet-to-be told adventures.

"New Earth" also hints at a whole slew of yet-to-be told adventures.

I have something to say about that, but I'd rather wait until you get to the story that takes place ON New Earth.

Until Bob does, you mean. Yes, me, too.

Well, don't wait for me if you don't want to - I probably won't start that thread until tomorrow at the earliest.

We're not rushing ya, man. Credit where it's due, y'know?

I just don't want to create the impression that I think I "own" the right to start these threads.

We respect your terrritory.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service