Doctor Who Reactions: "The Magician's Apprentice"/"The Witch's Familiar" (SPOILERS)

"The Magician's Apprentice"

1)The realization of the Thal/Kaled battlefield was well-done, I think.  The hand mines were creepy and goofy at the same time.  It was pretty clear that what they're doing is re-visiting the old "Could you kill Baby Hitler?" conundrum.

2)Nice to see the Shadow Proclamation and Karn again.

3)I got a real "Ssh, Grandpa's sleeping!" vibe from Old Davros.

4)The "Doctor as Guitar God" bit was amusing, but didn't really serve the story well. It felt a bit like an indulgence for Capaldi, like the endless chase scene that Barry Letts put into "Planet of the Spiders" to amuse Jon Pertwee.

5)Missy was OK in this.  A bit over-the-top, but then that seems to be her gimmick. Dunno what she thought she was doing, offering the TARDIS to the Daleks. They've already mastered time travel, the don't need her, or an old model like the Doctor's. Having recently re-watched a bunch of Pertwee/Delgado stories, it is interesting to consider whether what she and the Doctor have could somehow be considered a "friendship"  .

6)Lots of callbacks to previous stories in here, particularly "Genesis of the Daleks".  Always glad to hear McCoy's "unlimited rice pudding" line again.  Dunno what the reasoning was for the mixture of old and new Daleks was. I hope it's something better than, "Hey, let's amortize these props".

7)I don't for a minute believe that Clara, Missy or the TARDIS are dead. My feeling is that much, if not all, of what we see in this episode isn't "real".  I suspect a scam. 

8)Cliffhanger: The Doctor sure looks like he's about to shoot Boy Davros!

Overall: I enjoyed this, mostly. It's hard to judge it unlit I've seen the conclusion. For the same reason, I won't address the apparent hash this makes of Dalek continuity until I've seen how much of what was presented here actually happened the way it was shown.

"The Witch's Familiar"

1)"We, on the other hand, have a pointy stick."

2)I like the bit with the Doctor stealing Davros' chair. His comeuppance was creepy, too.

3)Watching Missy abuse Clara was entertaining, too.

4)Her daughter?

5)"The only other chair on SKaro."

6)Has he permanently given up screwdriver? Surely they make too much money selling toy screwdrivers for that?

7)"I came because you're sick and you asked."

8)There's Clara in  a Dalek again.

9)"I love you." "Exterminate."  I've seen relationships like that.

10)I like the way  they've replicated Ray Cusick's designs for the Dalek city.  Still no explanation  for what  all those old Daleks are doing there.

11)"Am I a good man?"

12)The Doctor and Davros sharing a laugh reminded me of the scene with Batman and the Joker sharing a laugh at the end  of The Killing Joke.

13)And Missy gives Davros an eye-poke. If only they'd added in a Three Stooges "plink" sound.

14)I knew Davros was playing the Doctor, I should have guessed the Doctor was playing Davros.

15)A Dalek said "Mercy" before, to River Song, in "The Big Bang". I don't buy that they can't say certain words. What if they need to lie to someone, do they have to be reprogrammed?

16)"Dalek Supreme, your sewers are revolting."

17)Not liking the sonic shades.

Overall:  That was a pretty good wrap-up, only creaky in one or two places. I"m liking where they're going with Capaldi, and Gomez is really growing on me as Missy.

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Still no explanation  for what  all those old Daleks are doing there.

Thinking about this some more. I saw Daleks from all over the old series (some from  "The Daleks", one from "Evil of the Daleks". one from "Remembrance of the Daleks" and I think even one form "Genesis of the Daleks"), but no sign of the "New Paradigm" Daleks from "Victory of the Daleks".  I guess they really have gone down the memory hole, never to return.

I liked the call-back to Hartnell and Baker.

Tray would have been happy had this been Clara's last episode. (She has never warmed up to Clara.) I must admit, there would have been a certain symmetry, coming full cirle both entering and leaving the series as a Dalek.

I like the idea of Clara being stuck as a Dalek. Of course, being so bossy she'd end up as Supreme Dalek in no time.

Maybe she could team up with the Cyber-Brig.

I did wonder why no mention in story of Clara-as-dalek again it was such a big part of her debut.

In general I hated Capaldi's first series - I thought they played his as slapstick / comedy old man  and hated it.

So far this series is so much better. It is much more of a drama despite silly-Missy lines and the guitar-solo bit.

Capaldi seems to have an opportuniuty to be much more Tom Baker/ Jon Pertwee than we have seen for a very long time.

I too have never really warmed to Clara either - she's all too perfect and sassy for my liking - once she goes I'd liek to see a change in relationship with the companion that Capaldi could work with - older, more capable but not so 'Buffy'.

So far - so much better!

I suppose we were told that the Daleks had recently recreated Skaro from scratch.  Perhaps they decided to configure the production line to run off a series of limited edition 'greatest hits' Dalek shells to commemorate the occasion?

Wonderful that all the pomp and circumstance of the WInston Churchill Daleks went nowhere.

Possibly sold a few toys though?.

The Baron said:

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Still no explanation  for what  all those old Daleks are doing there.

Thinking about this some more. I saw Daleks from all over the old series (some from  "The Daleks", one from "Evil of the Daleks". one from "Remembrance of the Daleks" and I think even one form "Genesis of the Daleks"), but no sign of the "New Paradigm" Daleks from "Victory of the Daleks".  I guess they really have gone down the memory hole, never to return.

The scenes with Stavros were great, espeically as they got down to the nitty gritty of what makes the Doctor tick - "Compassion".  I liked that.

But there is still an overdose of 'The Doctor is the greatest living organism in the entire galaxy' type chat for my liking.  The Doctor is ultimately a fictional being.  A show devoting airtime to how great he is, is an exercise in vacuity, to me.

Figserello said:

The scenes with Stavros were great, espeically as they got down to the nitty gritty of what makes the Doctor tick - "Compassion".  I liked that.

I know it's just a typo, but seeing the above made me think of the Doctor fighting Kojak's brother...

Figserello said:

But there is still an overdose of 'The Doctor is the greatest living organism in the entire galaxy' type chat for my liking.  The Doctor is ultimately a fictional being.  A show devoting airtime to how great he is, is an exercise in vacuity, to me.

The danger, I suspect, of letting a fanboy run the show.

Another danger is Moffett playing fast and loose with Regeneration Energy again.

Regarding Capaldi, I think he does a convincing "ancient" as well as "young and playful." Some Doctors can pull off one but not the other. Their a sort of "otherness" to Capaldi's performance not seen since (IMHO) Tom Baker.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service