Doctor Who Reactions: "The Time of the Doctor" (SPOILERS)

1)"Handles"?  OK, carrying a severed head around with you is a bizarre idea. Kudos to them all for managing to make Handles' death somehow poignant.

2)"Tereleptils" -  a callback to "The Visitation".

3)"I'm OCD. What's their excuse?"

4)"How those Cyberevenings must fly!"

5)"I need you, I'm cooking Christmas dinner!"  "I'm being shot at by Cybermen!"  "Well, can't we do both?"

6)The whole "naked" thing was fairly tedious. Also, can't we have a companion whose mother isn't obnoxious? I'm starting to think these guys have "mother" issues.

7)As for Tasha Lem... "You have been fighting the psychopath inside you all your life!"  "You can fly the TARDIS?"  Please tell me she isn't another iteration of River Song!  Let's see. what's "Tasha Lem" an anagram for?  "As Hamlet", "Same halt", "Melts ham", "Mel's a hat"..."Mel"? I knew it! It's River Song again!

8)Both the Silents and the damned Angels again. Sigh.

9)"You shaved your head."  Apparently he did that for real for another part, which is why he's wearing a wig.

10)"I'm an English teacher."  So much for my theory that she took Barbara Wright's old job.

11)"Bubbly personality masking bossy control freak." Ooh, I went out with one of those, years ago.

12)"No one can lie in this town."  That must make life interesitng.

13)Wait, so the crack is what he supposedly saw in "The God Complex"?  Then why did he say "Who else?"

14)"Seal of the High Council of Gallifrey - I nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone."  A callback to "The Five Doctors".

15)"Doctor who?" You'd think the Time Lords would have come up with a better message than that. Also, I thought Gallifrey was "frozen" in a moment in time.  Contradicting continuity in the very next episode?

16)And he sends Clara home using the same gag he used in "The Parting of the Ways".

17)"The Church of the Papal Mainframe apologizes for your death."

18)Is a flamethrower really the most logical thing to arm a wooden Cyberman with?

19)The "old age" make-up on Smith is unconvincing.

20)"Are we forgetting Captain Grumpy?"

21)"Number Ten once regenerated and kept the same face.  I had vanity issues at the time."  That's not quite how I interpreted the events shown in "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End", but I am willing to buy into the notion that those shenanigans cost him a regeneration.

22)"Information concerning the Doctor was harvested from the cadaver of Tasha Lem".  So, the whole "The Daleks had all memory of the Doctor wiped away" business only lasted until the very next time he met them with no use really made of it in a story at all?

23)I don't buy into the whole "using regenerative energy as a wepaon" gimmick, either.

24)"Love from Gallifrey, boys!"

25)Fish fingers and custard again.

26)"A whole new regeneration cycle" - another callback to "The Five Doctors".

27)"Raggedy Man, goodnight."  I suppose we had to have one last appearance by the Blessed Saint Amelia the Omnipresent.

28)The way Capaldi stares at Coleman when he first changes, I thought for one ghastly moment that Moffat had decided to put his own spin on Part One of "The Twin Dilemma"!

29)"Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!"  Ooh, that's original. Sigh.

30)"Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?"

Overall:  It was a typical Moffat Muddle. It has some amusing moments, but it suffered from trying to resolve too much at once. It also suffered form following hard on the heels of the much better "Day of the Doctor".

As for Smith, I liked him as the Doctor, I had no beef with him in the role, for all that I wasn't always wild about the writing.  What the show desperately needs is for the next show-runner to be someone who isn't a fanboy of the old series. Actually, what it really needs is Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks or Philip Hinchcliffe and Robert Holmes, but I know that ain't happening, so I'd settle for a competent writer who doesn't have a list of "Wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that they compiled while watching the show when they were a kid.  Of course, that disqualifies me, but, ah, well...

Views: 888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Baron said:

As an aside, I wonder the Hurt "incarnation" called himself.  The Warrior? The Renegade? The Time Lord Formerly Known As The Doctor?

It was an unpronounceable symbol that looked similar to the Seal of Rassilon.

Dalek Down-sizing.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

The Baron said:

As an aside, I wonder the Hurt "incarnation" called himself.  The Warrior? The Renegade? The Time Lord Formerly Known As The Doctor?

Awesome.

To clarify, I was asking out of curiosity, not because I thought it was especially relevant to any question of "numbering".

I know. I wan't responding to you in particular, just the discussion in general.

What I keep coming back to is the fact that the Doctor himself referenced his Tenth self, and that's not Tennent on either of our lists (but is, in fact, Eccleston on both of them).

Okay. I'll stop now.

If you haven't alreeady, see the 'Night Of the Doctor' minisode, which shows that there's more to the John Hurt regeneration than simply not using the Doctor name. Essentially, the 'Doctor' persona sits out for a regeneration, and instead adopts warrior identity for the duration of the Time War.

But his friends called him "Bob."

The Baron said:

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

The Baron said:

Awesome.

Climax twists spoiler warning. Baron, I didn't spot the elements suggesting Tasha was River but you're not the only one who saw that as a possible implication. My first reaction on reading your remark after seeing the episode was that it was likely the idea, but what seems to me to tell against it is the Doctor doesn't call her "River" when he's trying to get her to fight her Dalekisation at the climax. Also, the Daleks call her Tasha Lem when they say they learned about him from her cadaver, and the episode ends with her Dalek-infected. But some of the business with her was so much the kind of thing that would likely have been done with River if she'd appeared in the episode (e.g. the bit where Tasha and the Doctor have a moment together and he says he wouldn't have made it without River, and her line about never mastering flying the Doctor) that it may be the character was going to be River and was changed to not be her, perhaps to allow the Dalekisation twist.

In-story, the Doctor's apparent intimacy with Tasha at the climax might be explained by their having been in contact for the hundreds of years he's been defending Trenzalore (since we learn she's been supplying him with marshmallows and possibly other things).

Isn't all of this confusion an example of  the question - "How on earth are kids supposed to understand all this?

Luke Blanchard said:

Climax twists spoiler warning. Baron, I didn't spot the elements suggesting Tasha was River but you're not the only one who saw that as a possible implication.

I don't think kids worry about this kind of stuff. I know I didn't when I watched it when I was ten. I was much more likely to just sort of accept it as it came.

Jimmm Kelly said:

Too many numbers--

11) (and others) You hear better than me. Two times watching I wasn't able to catch all those words. Need a transcript.

Here you go:
http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/34-2.htm

I have found this site a very useful resource on several occasions. Just a note. Once in a while it is down but don't worry too much. When it is down, I have usually found it is back up within an hour. I just put it down to routine maintenance.

Oh that helps. Thanks.

So the transcript of the lines about the regeneration are--

CLARA: But you don't die. You change. You pop right back up with a new face. 
DOCTOR: No, not for ever. I can change twelve times. Thirteen versions of me. Thirteen silly Doctors. 
CLARA: Okay, so you're number eleven, so 
DOCTOR: Ha. Are we forgetting Captain Grumpy, eh? I didn't call myself the Doctor during the Time War, but it was still a regeneration. 
CLARA: Okay, so you're number twelve. 
DOCTOR: Well, number ten once regenerated and kept the same face. I had vanity issues at the time. Twelve regenerations, Clara. I can't ever do it again. This is where I end up. This face, this version of me. We saw this planet in the future, remember? All those graves, one of them mine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service