Doctor Who Reactions: "The Time of the Doctor" (SPOILERS)

1)"Handles"?  OK, carrying a severed head around with you is a bizarre idea. Kudos to them all for managing to make Handles' death somehow poignant.

2)"Tereleptils" -  a callback to "The Visitation".

3)"I'm OCD. What's their excuse?"

4)"How those Cyberevenings must fly!"

5)"I need you, I'm cooking Christmas dinner!"  "I'm being shot at by Cybermen!"  "Well, can't we do both?"

6)The whole "naked" thing was fairly tedious. Also, can't we have a companion whose mother isn't obnoxious? I'm starting to think these guys have "mother" issues.

7)As for Tasha Lem... "You have been fighting the psychopath inside you all your life!"  "You can fly the TARDIS?"  Please tell me she isn't another iteration of River Song!  Let's see. what's "Tasha Lem" an anagram for?  "As Hamlet", "Same halt", "Melts ham", "Mel's a hat"..."Mel"? I knew it! It's River Song again!

8)Both the Silents and the damned Angels again. Sigh.

9)"You shaved your head."  Apparently he did that for real for another part, which is why he's wearing a wig.

10)"I'm an English teacher."  So much for my theory that she took Barbara Wright's old job.

11)"Bubbly personality masking bossy control freak." Ooh, I went out with one of those, years ago.

12)"No one can lie in this town."  That must make life interesitng.

13)Wait, so the crack is what he supposedly saw in "The God Complex"?  Then why did he say "Who else?"

14)"Seal of the High Council of Gallifrey - I nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone."  A callback to "The Five Doctors".

15)"Doctor who?" You'd think the Time Lords would have come up with a better message than that. Also, I thought Gallifrey was "frozen" in a moment in time.  Contradicting continuity in the very next episode?

16)And he sends Clara home using the same gag he used in "The Parting of the Ways".

17)"The Church of the Papal Mainframe apologizes for your death."

18)Is a flamethrower really the most logical thing to arm a wooden Cyberman with?

19)The "old age" make-up on Smith is unconvincing.

20)"Are we forgetting Captain Grumpy?"

21)"Number Ten once regenerated and kept the same face.  I had vanity issues at the time."  That's not quite how I interpreted the events shown in "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End", but I am willing to buy into the notion that those shenanigans cost him a regeneration.

22)"Information concerning the Doctor was harvested from the cadaver of Tasha Lem".  So, the whole "The Daleks had all memory of the Doctor wiped away" business only lasted until the very next time he met them with no use really made of it in a story at all?

23)I don't buy into the whole "using regenerative energy as a wepaon" gimmick, either.

24)"Love from Gallifrey, boys!"

25)Fish fingers and custard again.

26)"A whole new regeneration cycle" - another callback to "The Five Doctors".

27)"Raggedy Man, goodnight."  I suppose we had to have one last appearance by the Blessed Saint Amelia the Omnipresent.

28)The way Capaldi stares at Coleman when he first changes, I thought for one ghastly moment that Moffat had decided to put his own spin on Part One of "The Twin Dilemma"!

29)"Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!"  Ooh, that's original. Sigh.

30)"Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?"

Overall:  It was a typical Moffat Muddle. It has some amusing moments, but it suffered from trying to resolve too much at once. It also suffered form following hard on the heels of the much better "Day of the Doctor".

As for Smith, I liked him as the Doctor, I had no beef with him in the role, for all that I wasn't always wild about the writing.  What the show desperately needs is for the next show-runner to be someone who isn't a fanboy of the old series. Actually, what it really needs is Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks or Philip Hinchcliffe and Robert Holmes, but I know that ain't happening, so I'd settle for a competent writer who doesn't have a list of "Wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that they compiled while watching the show when they were a kid.  Of course, that disqualifies me, but, ah, well...

Views: 871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My feeling is:  There's a ready-made explanation in the quasi-regeneration that occurred in "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End", I don't see a need to complicate things unnceessarily, which I think the idea of an "Eccleston-only" regeneration does.

For that matter, where do you fit the Tennant "quasi-regeneration" into your theory?

Simple: I don’t consider that a regeneration.

The way I recall it, the presence of the hand saved him from regenerating. Although, like you, I might be “willing to buy into the notion that those shenanigans cost him a regeneration,” I don’t recall ever having thought in those terms prior to “Time of the Doctor.”

In either case, I see the old Nine=Eccleston, Ten=Tennant, Eleven=Smith numbering as out the window.

Our points of view may not be so far apart in terms of future discussions, though.

My Way:
9. Hurt
10/11. Eccleston
12. Tennant
13. Smith

Everyone Else’s Way:
9. Hurt
10. Eccleston
11/12. Tennant
13. Smith

The main point of contention seems to be (I could be wrong), “Who is the Eleventh Doctor?” I say it’s a version of Ecclelston, you (and everyone else I know of who has expressed an opinion) say it’s a version of Tennent. Can we agree that Nine = Hurt, Ten = Eccleston, Twelve = Tennant, Thirteen = Smith?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Can we agree that Nine = Hurt, Ten = Eccleston, Twelve = Tennant, Thirteen = Smith?

I look at it this way:

First Regenerative Cycle

1)Hartnell

2)Troughton

3)Pertwee

4)T. Baker

5)Davison

6)C. Baker

7)McCoy

8)McGann

9)Hurt

10)Eccleston

11)Tennant

12)n/a - The energy that should have gone into this regeneration was use dint he creation of the DonnaDoctor, with a little set aside to heal the Tennant Doctor

13)Smith

Second Regenerative Cycle

1)Capaldi

Now all we need is for Moffat to come up with a story-line that explains where the Gallaccio, Holmes, Harper, Camfield, Hinchcliffe, Ch. Baker, Stewart and Barry "Doctors" fit in...

I'm not going to stand in the way of fans having their own version of reality. But going by what we're given in the show, Hurt is not supposed to be counted as a Doctor and Tennant is still Tennant so he's still the Tenth Doctor, even though he regenerated.

Eleven (Matt Smith) makes this quite clear to Clara in the Time of the Doctor. Again I need a transcript (where are we on getting that--it would really help), but as I recall he expressly states that Crankypants was not called the Doctor but he was the 8th regeneration (and the 9th incarnation). That's why I don't call Hurt the Ninth Doctor--that and it would be just too confusing to start renumbering them now. So Eccleston stands as the Ninth Doctor.

I suggest the best way to resolve this is not to talk about Doctors but to talk about incarnations. In that case we only disagree about how many incarnations there were of Eccleston or Tennant.

As an aside, I wonder the Hurt "incarnation" called himself.  The Warrior? The Renegade? The Time Lord Formerly Known As The Doctor?

The Baron said:

Now all we need is for Moffat to come up with a story-line that explains where the Gallaccio, Holmes, Harper, Camfield, Hinchcliffe, Ch. Baker, Stewart and Barry "Doctors" fit in...

I suppose they could be a set of incarnations from a previous regeneration cycle. Back before he became the Doctor, when he was just Captain Kirk.

And the Master was still Dr Smith.

I know in credits Hurt is called the War Doctor. But Smith says he wasn't called the Doctor in the Time War, so I take that to exclude War Doctor, as well. I think others called him the Warrior--or maybe the Man With No Name--or Hey, That Guy Looks Like John Hurt, Is It, I Think It Is, It's Got To Be, Man He's Gotten Old.

Jimmm Kelly said:

I know in credits Hurt is called the War Doctor. But Smith says he wasn't called the Doctor in the Time War, so I take that to exclude War Doctor, as well. I think others called him the Warrior--or maybe the Man With No Name--or Hey, That Guy Looks Like John Hurt, Is It, I Think It Is, It's Got To Be, Man He's Gotten Old.

I like that last idea.

I’m going to say (again, speaking only for myself), that it doesn’t really matter what John Hurt (“my” Ninth Doctor) called himself. His incarnation counted toward the regeneration limit, plus, more importantly, his experiences shaped the subsequent Doctors into the men (Timelords, whatever) they are (or were).

I don’t have any problem “renumbering” the Doctors, because that’s all meta-textual. The only time I can think of (relevant to this discussion) in which the doctor refers to himself by number is this episode. AFAIAC, there’s nothing to be “re-writtten” since this was the first reference.

I would be willing to go along with Bob’s interpretation (below) until such a time my theory is ratified on screen.

9) Hurt
10) Eccleston
11) Tennant
12) n/a
13) Smith

Maybe it works like Presidents of the United States in that consecutive "terms" are numbered together. That's why Franklin D. Roosevelt was our 32nd President (not our 32nd, 33rd, 34th and 35th), but Grover Cleveland was our 22nd and 24th.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I’m going to say (again, speaking only for myself), that it doesn’t really matter what John Hurt (“my” Ninth Doctor) called himself.

To clarify, I was asking out of curiosity, not because I thought it was especially relevant to any question of "numbering".

The Baron said: So, the whole "The Daleks had all memory of the Doctor wiped away" business only lasted until the very next time he met them with no use really made of it in a story at all?

Also, the "new paradigm" Daleks from the end of "Victory of the Daleks" barely appeared in "Asylum" and haven't appeared since. What happened to them?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service