1)"Pterodactyls are vermin. Do not feed."  "Do not feed the flying pests!"

2)Dickens!

3)"Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill"?

4)"Knitting for Girls"?

5)"The skulls eat them."  Awesome.

6)"I'm afraid Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart passed away." I'm glad they got a mention of the Brig in.  I suppose that folks who've only seen the new series may not have a sense of how important Nick Courtney was to the show, but he was a major part of what I liked about the show back in the 70's.

7)"Time can be re-written." "Don't you dare."

8)"The man who does and dies again."  "Oh, my God! they killed Rory! You bastards!"

9)"River Song didn't get it all from you, sweetie."

10)He must've told her his name at some point, she told it to the Tenth Doctor in the Library.

11)"And I'm his...mother-in-law."

12)If he was in the Teselecta, why did time re-start itself when River touched it? Was the time paradox fooled by the Doctor's clever plan, too?

13)"Doctor Who?"

Overall: Another collection of set pieces and gags rushed by in hopes that we don't notice the holes in the plot.  It looks as though Moffat's already building up to the Smith's departure - perhaps in time for the 50th anniversary in 2013?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rushed, yes. It's as though Moffat writes these things to be as long as the classic stories and then cuts chunks out to fit them into the current format.
  • This should have been a double episode at least. River learned his name at Demon's Run, where he learned her true name. He read the leaf and she (who learned High Gallifrean during her PHD years) read his off his crib.
  • He read the leaf and she (who learned High Gallifrean during her PHD years) read his off his crib.

Interesting - I hadn't picked up on that.

• He must've told her his name at some point, she told it to the Tenth Doctor in the Library.

Shenanigans. (And it doesn’t matter if he told her later; it’s still shenanigans.)

Another collection of set pieces and gags rushed by in hopes that we don't notice the holes in the plot.

I noticed. And I’m sure I’ll notice more the second time through.

It looks as though Moffat's already building up to the Smith's departure.

Looks like. Be nice to see some Doctor, any Doctor, take a stab at beating Tom Baker’s record, though.
  • He must've told her his name at some point, she told it to the Tenth Doctor in the Library.

Shenanigans. (And it doesn’t matter if he told her later; it’s still shenanigans.)

I don't understand what's being debated here.  Everything we've seen happen to River has happened before her final meeting with him in the library.  Why 'shenanigans' on this point exactly?

In any case, I call shenanigins too, on the whole thing, if only because it is a nicer term than 'rubbish'.  This blog sums up pretty directly how Moffatt isn't really playing straight with his audience.

The accusation of not playing fair can be thrown on a pile of other dubious qualities of this season climax.

I wanted to retch at all that talk about the The Doctor being the most loved, most brave and wonderful being in the universe.  For Sutekh's sake!  What happened to English reserve?

River Song's reversely revealed relationship with the Doctor is possibly the best thing Moffatt has brought to this series.  It was something genuinely new to longform television, and the early uses of it seemed to be pretty watertight and intriguing.

However, the more we get, the interest of it is draining out in scenes of humdrum domesticity, and what's more, it's starting to fall apart in terms of the logicality of it. 

Most of the scenes between River Song and the Doctor make me cringe, sadly.  That's just how they play to me.  Their closeness seems to have been built on River telling the Doctor that they are actually closer than he knows and him slowly believing her.  Other than that, I'm not really seeing what he sees in her.  She doesn't seem his type..., if such an asexual-seeming dude can be said to have a type.

(And what's to stop The Doctor from replacing the River that was killed in the Library with one of those Numbskull Robot vessel yokes, too, if not causing paradoxes in time are as simply avoided as that?)

• Figserello said:
    Why 'shenanigans' on this point exactly?

Because in "Silence in the Library" River Song proves her identity to the Doctor by revealing his real name, which she asserts he told her on their wedding night. When that scene finally rolls around and he apparently whispers his real name into her ear, it's really something altogether different and River does not, in fact, learn his name at that time. Moffatt falls back on "The Doctor Lies" (or "River Lies") far too often in order to circumvent pesky little details. It's not a real plot twist if he's been misleading the audience all along.

"That wasn't a gun on the mantlepiece in act two... it was really a bottle of poison!"

• So, where were the Reapers from Father's Day during the huge fracture in history? You'd think they would've been all over that.

• It doesn't bother me at all...I see Doctor Who as more of a fairy tale than sci-fi...always have.

• That's interesting, Doc. Having grown up watching the old show, it see it the opposite way, but I could where somebody whose main exposure had been to the new show would feel that way.

• Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:

It doesn't bother me at all...I see Doctor Who as more of a fairy tale than sci-fi...always have.

Like Star Wars.

This reply was deleted.