Doctor Who Reactions: "The Wedding of River Song" (SPOILERS)

1)"Pterodactyls are vermin. Do not feed."  "Do not feed the flying pests!"

2)Dickens!

3)"Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill"?

4)"Knitting for Girls"?

5)"The skulls eat them."  Awesome.

6)"I'm afraid Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart passed away." I'm glad they got a mention of the Brig in.  I suppose that folks who've only seen the new series may not have a sense of how important Nick Courtney was to the show, but he was a major part of what I liked about the show back in the 70's.

7)"Time can be re-written." "Don't you dare."

8)"The man who does and dies again."  "Oh, my God! they killed Rory! You bastards!"

9)"River Song didn't get it all from you, sweetie."

10)He must've told her his name at some point, she told it to the Tenth Doctor in the Library.

11)"And I'm his...mother-in-law."

12)If he was in the Teselecta, why did time re-start itself when River touched it? Was the time paradox fooled by the Doctor's clever plan, too?

13)"Doctor Who?"

Overall: Another collection of set pieces and gags rushed by in hopes that we don't notice the holes in the plot.  It looks as though Moffat's already building up to the Smith's departure - perhaps in time for the 50th anniversary in 2013?

Views: 538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

River said that she pretended not to recognize the space suit in Florida (the one that her earlier child incarnation was put inside of)--that's what she was referring to (not the scene at Lake Silencio).

Oh, I didn’t pick up on that (even after watching it a second time). That would make more sense.

It seemed pretty clear to me, watching it again, that when Amy and Rory get the news that the Doctor is still alive, from River at the end of “The Wedding of River Song,” quite some time has passed since when they saw the Doctor die.

I didn’t get that impression (although I’ve concluded that must be the case), but other than that, I agree with everything you said.

My feeling is that the writers did in fact work out all of these ins and outs and it really does make sense how they mapped it out. But in producing the episodes, they left out bits that would have made it clearer.

I agree. Watching it the first time, although I did absorb the series of events as they were intended, I was unsure if series six would stand up to closer scrutiny. What I discovered the second time through is that it does, but only if I bend over backward and jump through hoops to make it. I think that’s because of the very reason you point out: that it’s clear in the heads of those producing the show, but “they left out bits that would have made it clearer.”

Are you guys aware that there has been a ten minute "Timeline of River Song" produced, and currently housed on YouTube, in which Alex Kingston herself narrates her life and times, IN SEQUENCE, from her point of view?

I was not aware of that, Kirk (although it doesn’t surprise me). I will definitely give it a look, although I may finish my own examination first to see how close I come to the official timeline. (I hope it’s included on a future DVD release.) Sometimes I wonder if all this is worth the effort, because by the time I finish I discover someone else has done it first and done a better job of it. But then I figure as long as I’m having fun, that’s its own reward. I wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t fun.

Also, are you aware that the broadcast order of at least two and possible more of the sixth season of Dr. Who were switched?

I did not know that (“Let’s Kill Hitler” follows “A Good Man Goes to War” on the DVD release, too, same as broadcast), but it makes the same kind of sense as when someone (Henry, I think it was) pointed out that Star Trek’s “Tomorrow is Yesterday” should have immediately followed “The Naked Time”.

[This post continued from “The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon” discussion.]

THE DEATH OF THE DOCTOR — Series Six Overview

DISCLAIMER: I’m going to pretty much ignore the alternate reality created by River Song when she altered her shot in an effort to change the “fixed point in time” of the Doctor’s death. There is a lot of important information conveyed in that reality, but ultimately it is a time loop within a time loop; it never should have happened in the first place and is reset by the end of the episode, so to facilitate analysis I’m going to ignore it.

The death of the Doctor is a fixed point in time, but all that is really known about it is that “an ‘impossible astronaut’ will rise from Lake Silencio and kill the Doctor.” In the future, the Doctor’s enemies (Madame Kovarian, The Silence, The Acadamy of the Question, etc.) learn of this event, treat it as a “prophecy” and set about to make it come true. It is also known by the captain and crew of the Teselecta Justice Vehicle, which is how the Doctor himself learns about it.

The Doctor knows that whatever it is that happened at Lake Silencio is a fixed point in time and cannot be altered, and set about manipulating events in such a way that April 22, 2011 is not “the day the Doctor died” but rather “the day the universe thought the Doctor died.” It’s not even a matter of “time being re-written”; it’s a case of ensuring that events play out the way he wants them to in the first place.

“The Impossible Astronaut” (what we think happened):
The Doctor (1108), Amy, Rory and River are picnicking at Lake Silencio, Utah.
An “impossible astronaut” rises from the water, and the Doctor goes to meet it.
The astronaut shoots the Doctor and he begins to regenerate.
In the midst of regeneration, the astronaut shoots him again, killing him.
The Doctor’s friends immolate him on a floating pyre.
The “prophecy” is thus fulfilled.

“The Wedding of River Song” (what really happened):
The Doctor (903) borrows the Teselecta Justice Vehicle and sends invitations to his friends.
River Song (the “impossible astronaut”) rises from the lake, and the Doctor, piloting the TJV) goes to meet it.
River shoots the TJV and it mimics the beginning of the regeneration process.
Before the process is complete, River shoots the TJV again, “killing” it.
The Doctor’s friends immolate the TJV on a floating pyre.
The “prophecy” is thus fulfilled.

I had some minor objections about whether or not the TJV could mimic a regeneration cycle (which, obviously, it can), why Amy, Rory and River couldn’t tell the TJV wasn’t human (well, Gallifreyan) upon closer examination, how the Doctor escaped the pyre and what happened to the TJV and its crew, but those are all either minor and can be easily overturned or were dealt with in the episode itself (such as the Doctor remarking that he escaped the TJV with barely a singe). Ultimately, I just spent the last several weeks circling around to the exact same place I started from (much like series six itself).. Next time through I may just watch “The Wedding of River Song” as a lead-in to “The Impossible Astronaut” and see how that works.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I had some minor objections about...why Amy, Rory and River couldn’t tell the TJV wasn’t human (well, Gallifreyan) upon closer examination...

I just assumed that the Teselecta was made using SUPER-SCIENCE and thus had some really swell "stealth" technology which enabled it to withstand at least the sort of superficial examination that River and her parents made.   I leave it as an exercise for the student to determine what might have occurred had anyone decided to attempt to perform an autopsy.

Something else that occurred to me is that this is their “thing”: abducting historical criminals just before the moment of their recorded deaths, then torturing them as they see fit. They must then, presumably, leave their “justice vehicle” behind…? The autopsy question occurred to me, too, but it must be able to bear a certain amount of scrutiny. Still, seems like an awful waste of technology and equipment, though. Maybe after the “death by torture” sentence is carried out they somehow surreptitiously switch the real body back? I don’t know… the whole idea seems kind of half-baked to me.

I don't think that they "abduct" their victims. I assumed they just tortured them and then left them to their "historical" demise. The ship itself doesn't have to be left behind.

...and if any of them say, "Hey, wait... I was just miniaturized by a shrink ray and tortured nearly to death inside a robotic duplicate of myself," I suppose they're counting on any witnesses thinking the criminal is just lying or stallling for time or whatever. :)

They might assume the criminal is hallucinating a bit.... until the second, or third, or fourth ones started telling similar stories of alien abductions.....(hhhmmmmmm,.... wait a second.....NAW, it couldn't be....)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service