Doctor Who Reactions: "Timelash" (SPOILERS)

1)The Kontron Tunnel effect is somewhat less than convincing.

2)The Borad is an OK baddie. One does get the feeling that he's way out of his depth against the Doctor, though. Porbably distracted from lusting after Peri.

3)Paul Darrow says on the commentary that he played Tekker as "Olivier doing Richard III" until JNT caught him at it and made him knock it off. You can still see it in places.

4)The android is OK - you do wonder why they made it look like that, though.

5)Colin Baker points out that "Timelash" is an anagram of "Lame s***".

6)They really should have just gone the whole nine yards and called the Bandrils the "Sockpuppets".

7)So, basically, one afternoon with the Doctor gave H.G. Wells all of his ideas?

8)Why hook the Timelash to medieval Earth? Did no one notice all these Karfelons wandering around Twelfth Century Scotland?

9)Some fun quotes:

• "Where would the First Lady suggest?"
  • "Only the two of you?" "Yes, traveling light this time." So, who went to Karfel with the Third Doctor and Jo? Mike Yates?
  • "I show little mercy to time meddlers." Even though you are one?
  • "You gave me your word, you microcephalic apostate!"
  • "Another expedition into the relams of duplicity?" I used to go there all the time, but not anymore - it's all built up and touristy, now.
  • "I am, in fact, President of the High Council of Gallifrey."  Also, Lieutenant-Governor of Idaho.
  • "They're not all as pleasant and agreeable as I am."
  • "Nobody wants you. Nobody needs you. Nobody cares!"  The Doctor's pretty brutal to the Borad - not that he doesn't deserve it, but Baker points out that you'd never get away with mocking a baddie for being deformed these days the way they did here.
  • "He'll be harmless enough there."  Really? A vengeful super-genius will be "harmless"? Sure about that, are you?
  • "The waves of time wash us all clean!"

10)Ciffhangers:

• Part One: The android pushes the Doctor towards the Timelash!
  • Part Two: The Doctor says "Herbert!"

Overall:

This was not great, but it was actually better thna I remembered it being.  Better than "Vengeance on Varos", anyhow.

[Part of list of Doctor Who episodes here.]

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When I last watched this, and swore I'd never watch it again, I meant it. I've watched a pile of WHO stories since then, and had a blast picking and choosing which ones in sometimes-random order.

But last night, "TIMELASH" joined the ranks of the very FEW stories of the series I deliberately pulled out to watch totally out of sequence, all on its own. IN GOD'S NAME, WHY??? --you ask? Well... I've been watching my 1st-ever "H.G. Wells" marathon. "THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS", "THE INVISIBLE MAN", THINGS TO COME", WAR OF THE WORLDS", etc. My copy of "THE TIME MACHINE" (with Rod Taylor) has annoyingly gone missing, but last week I watched "TIME AFTER TIME" with Malcolm McDowell.

And in a fit of inspired insanity, I decided it might-- might-- be fun to watch this next.

MY MISTAKE. This remains, in my mind, the SINGLE WORST story in this show's history. And it has to go a long way to beat "WARRIORS OF THE DEEP". I mean, when every single aspect of the story, every bit of casting, every bit of production design, every single line of dialogue, and every moment of directing and acting are all so unbelievably, unbearably AWFUL on every possible level... you're left wondering, HOW did such a piece of S*** like this ever get made???

I tell you! It takes a SPECIAL piece of CRAP to make 2 Bert I.Gordon turkeys-- "THE FOOD OF THE GODS" and "EMPIRE OF THE ANTS"-- look like masterpieces BY COMPARISON.

Next Friday: WHO does "WOTW". Of course-- "INVASION EARTH 2150 A.D."

• Henry, I get the feeling that you didn't like this story.

I still like it better than "Vengenace on Varos", though, possibly because I find the Sockpuppets Bandrils cheesily amusing.

Poor Colin. At least he got to do all those audio stories, which had the advantages of

1. Being much better written.
    2. Non-visual in nature, so we didn't have to look at that coat.
  • I hadn't planned it, but... because I had both stories on the same tape, I decided to watch the 2nd half tonight...

REVELATION OF THE DALEKS

Damn.  This and THE TWO DOCTORS are 2 of the BEST stories in the entire run of the series!!!

I think that's what makes TIMELASH hurt even more than it already does (AND BOY-- DOES IT).  Having the worst story in the entire 26 years of the show wedged directly between 2 of the best things JNT ever worked on.

Mind you-- the last time I watched Colin Baker, I watched (not even in order, oddly enough), THE TWIN DILEMMA, MARK OF THE RANI, THE TWO DOCTORS, REVELATION OF THE DALEKS, THE MYSTERIOUS PLANET, TERROR OF THE VERVOIDS and THE ULTIMATE FOE.

I just don't like Phillip Martin's writing!!!

• Henry R. Kujawa said:

But last night, "TIMELASH" joined the ranks of the very FEW stories of the series I deliberately pulled out to watch totally out of sequence, all on its own. IN GOD'S NAME, WHY??? --you ask? Well... I've been watching my 1st-ever "H.G. Wells" marathon. "THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS", "THE INVISIBLE MAN", THINGS TO COME", WAR OF THE WORLDS", etc. My copy of "THE TIME MACHINE" (with Rod Taylor) has annoyingly gone missing, but last week I watched "TIME AFTER TIME" with Malcolm McDowell.

You remind me that I've got The Man Who Could Work Miracles somewhere, and have never watched it. I'll have to do so some time.

• ...Just since this is a Who thread up now , I will ask:

Were there any comments here about 9 lost Patrick Troughton Who episodes being found recently ?

• Like this?

• The nest time you have this kind of question, and aren't sure where to post it, check here first...

https://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/list-of-doctor-who-threads

It's permanently displayed at the TOP of the "TV And Movies" section of the board! Very helpful.

• ...Thank you , Pete , Henry , but I meant 9 complete Troughton episodes , which has led (apparently) to all these single ones now being on a company (ITunes) I boycott , and the latest DWM (#459 , with the maiden Capaldi cover) reviewing a new DVD of the now-complete THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD .

• We discussed it briefly later in Pete's thread. The page Henry linked to has links to the Baron's review threads on the stories from before the new materials were discovered/released.

• That's the page with ALL the "WHO" threads, isn't it? I'd say any story which already has its own thread, any NEW comments on that story can simply be added to that thread. ("That's reasonable, isn't it?")

This reply was deleted.