Done-In-One Alert!

Just thought this might be a worthwhile thread to have. I've heard some recent books have featured some nice done-in-one stories, and thought it'd be good to have a place to let people know where and when they appear. I'm much more likely to pick up a comic I'm on the fence about when there's no obligation to buy the next issue. 

I've heard that issues 1 and 2 of the new Black Widow series are both done-in-one. Is that true?

Other recent done-in-ones include most -- if not all -- of DC's Zero Year issues (I only read Flash), as well as Flash 26, a fun fill-in from Chris Yost and Neil Googe. 

Annuals are often a pretty reliable source of done-in-ones. While there are nods to the ongoing situation on Earth-2, Earth 2 Annual #2 tells a complete story of the new Batman's identity and origin. I have a feeling Worlds' Finest Annual #1 is DI1 as well.

Anyway, I think this is could be a handy thread, a centralized location to mention stories with a beginning, middle and end, all between two covers.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The series does a done-in-one in between each arc. The last one (issue #9) came out a few weeks ago, and worth checking out. Does a really nice job of giving the supporting cast some facetime.

• I should mention that every issue of Zero so far has been a done-in-one.

• How is that series? I've often wondered...

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

The series does a done-in-one in between each arc. The last one (issue #9) came out a few weeks ago, and worth checking out. Does a really nice job of giving the supporting cast some facetime.

• Black Widow #1 was a done-in-one--and a fantastic one at that. I have #2, but haven't read it yet, so I don't know about that one.

• As I suspected, Worlds' Finest Annual #1 is essentially a done-in-one. Not a particularly good one, IMO, but it qualifies.

• Let me preface this by saying that it is a crime series, which I really dig. That being said the support cast is phenomenal and was missing in the original series. I would say try out issue #9 which is a really good done-in-one issue or checking out the first trade. The art is a bit scratchy, which I know Cap doesn't really like, but I like it. I liked the original series, but I think Duane Swierczyinski has put a lot of thought into the current title. The supporting cast is great.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

How is that series? I've often wondered...

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

The series does a done-in-one in between each arc. The last one (issue #9) came out a few weeks ago, and worth checking out. Does a really nice job of giving the supporting cast some facetime.

• This week's Batgirl (Futures End) is a phenomenal done-in-one look into the future of Barbara Gordon... and a few other familiar faces as well. An all-around excellent comic book. If you're at all interested, pick up a copy. 

Also, last week's Action Comics (Futures End) was also a done-in-one. It didn't work very well for me, but I've read some reviews that really liked it. 

Also, Scooby-Doo Team-Up is a done-in-one every issue. And it almost always knocks it out of the park.

• Freaky!  I guess this is a cap on Gail Simone's Batgirl run too?  A sort of mixed bag, I believe...

• Yep, this is it for her run. It's a great farewell from her to Barbara (we get to see her next month, of course), and a great hello to three Batgirls of the future, two of which former holders of the title, and one promising new face with a connection to an existing hero (I assume).

I haven't read all of Simone's Batgirl run, but the last several issues have been excellent. (The three issues prior to this wrapped up her main plotline with a quasi-Birds of Prey reunion.)

• Future's End: G.I. Zombie seems to be a completely self-contained done-in-one. It starts en media res, but it's not connected to Futures End or anything else, from what I can tell. Not a bad book!

This reply was deleted.