Just thought this might be a worthwhile thread to have. I've heard some recent books have featured some nice done-in-one stories, and thought it'd be good to have a place to let people know where and when they appear. I'm much more likely to pick up a comic I'm on the fence about when there's no obligation to buy the next issue. 

I've heard that issues 1 and 2 of the new Black Widow series are both done-in-one. Is that true?

Other recent done-in-ones include most -- if not all -- of DC's Zero Year issues (I only read Flash), as well as Flash 26, a fun fill-in from Chris Yost and Neil Googe. 

Annuals are often a pretty reliable source of done-in-ones. While there are nods to the ongoing situation on Earth-2, Earth 2 Annual #2 tells a complete story of the new Batman's identity and origin. I have a feeling Worlds' Finest Annual #1 is DI1 as well.

Anyway, I think this is could be a handy thread, a centralized location to mention stories with a beginning, middle and end, all between two covers.

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see why they can't do more done-in-ones. They can still be collected in TPBs. They have the advantage of hooking new readers without turning them off by being lost in the middle of a continuing story.

I think they're simply tougher to do. 20 pages isn't a lot of room to tell a story -- certainly not as much as it used to be, as preferences for art styles change. With longer stories, less time per issue has to be allotted to set-up, introducing new characters, conclusion, denouement. Superhero comics are largely all middle -- that's where the fight scenes happen -- and the shorter the story, the less middle there can be.

I'd love it if companies like DC, Marvel, Dynamite, etc., would make it a policy to encourage done-in-ones, as jump-on-points, maybe somehow incentivizing them for the creative team. Because it is more work.(One possible incentive might not take the form of extra $ up front, but maybe a reprint in a line-wide sampler later on that could get them some extra royalty money.) 

The latest issue of Nailbiter was a done-in-one tale. Providing a little breather from the main story as the writer says. Issue #6 to be specific.

I just bought the first trade on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

The latest issue of Nailbiter was a done-in-one tale. Providing a little breather from the main story as the writer says. Issue #6 to be specific.

I love this idea! Of course, they would need to put you in charge first, Rob. I would go for that as well.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

• I'd love it if companies like DC, Marvel, Dynamite, etc., would make it a policy to encourage done-in-ones, as jump-on-points, maybe somehow incentivizing them for the creative team. Because it is more work.(One possible incentive might not take the form of extra $ up front, but maybe a reprint in a line-wide sampler later on that could get them some extra royalty money.) 

Aw, thanks, Sensei!  Being in charge of a comics universe sounds like the massive editorial headache I've been training my entire life for!

Hey, two more done-in-ones have been mentioned as contenders for best of the year in the Cappies Memory Box: Silver Surfer 7, and Nailbiter 7! Check 'em out!

Harley Quinn Holiday Special is a terrific little three-in-one... and the final, New Years Eve story, is drawn by Darwyn Cooke.

All three stories are a lot of fun, but it's the first one, called "Bad Toy," with art by MauriceT, stands out for me. After some fun setup with Harley giving away puppies and kittens to families she thinks will take care of them, she winds up, herself, mistaken as a spoiled little kid's present -- a situation probably inspired by the Richard Pryor movie, The Toy. It's fun enough -- the whole bookis filled with some great antics -- but there's a moment when she realizes why the kid acts so bratty...and you see Harley sit down and really talk the girl through her problems... and you realize she's suddenly Dr. Harleen Quinzel again, just for these moments. It's a wonderful scene.

I haven't updated this thread for a while, but I still think it has value, so I'm digging it up.

The first issue of Constantine: The Hellblazer is a done-in-one, if you want to see what the new series is about. It's a pretty solid pilot episode, I think. 

Just so I can hock it again in another spot, I'm going to recommend Action Comics #40, which is a Bizarro issue. I normally hate Bizarro, but the artwork in this book--drawn by Aaron Kuder--is so incredibly detailed and awesome that I have to say that I loved this, if only for the art. And it's a done-in-one! (I've always wanted to chime in on this thread, but never remember done-in-one issues to cite here--until now.)

I liked the Preview I downloaded from Comixology, so I'm happy to hear that the series is looking good so far. As usual I'll be waiting for the collection, but I'll keep an eye on the bargain bins for the first issue, since it is a done-in-one.

I haven't updated this thread for a while, but I still think it has value, so I'm digging it up.

The first issue of Constantine: The Hellblazer is a done-in-one, if you want to see what the new series is about. It's a pretty solid pilot episode, I think. 

This week's Batgirl Annual 3 is a fun Done-in-One... or rather a 4-in-1, as Babs teams up with Grayson (sort of), which leads her to shorter teamups with Spoiler, Batwoman, and the Gotham Academy kids. Good stuff!

It looks like the Gotham By Midnight annual (#1) is a done-in-one, too, although money was tight and I had to leave my fave Gentleman Ghost on the shelf for another day. 

You could say a "fun-in-one", couldn't you? (Smiles coyly and places index finger to lips.) Seriously, I may have to check this one out. I do love Gotham Academy for some reason...normally, I just hate books about teenagers.

This week's Batgirl Annual 3 is a fun Done-in-One... or rather a 4-in-1, as Babs teams up with Grayson (sort of), which leads her to shorter teamups with Spoiler, Batwoman, and the Gotham Academy kids. Good stuff!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service