The arrival of Weird Fantasy Vol. 3 had the usual effect series collections have on me, making me wonder how close we were to finishing that series. In this case, that also means, by extension, the EC line.

I have cause to worry -- Dark Horse's track record on series collections isn't good. Currently it appears that the Tarzan, Archie and Crime Does Not Pay series have all stalled at nowhere near the end.

Anyway, I felt we were close enough to make a summary worthwhile. Here's where I think we are:

COMPLETED

Aces High: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Aces High Vol. 1.

Extra!: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Extra! Vol. 1.

Incredible Science Fiction: Four issues collected in EC Archives: Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1.

Panic: 12 issues collected in EC Archives: Panic Vols. 1-2.

Shock SuspenStories: 18 issues collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3.

Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt: 30 issues collected in EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Vols. 1-5.

Valor: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Valor Vol. 1.

Weird Science: 22 issues collected in EC Archives: Weird Science Vols. 1-4.

SCHEDULED FOR COMPLETION

Haunt of Fear: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Oct. 23.

Vault of Horror: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Dec. 28.

Piracy: One volume, scheduled for Feb. 26, 2019

UNSCHEDULED

Crime SuspenStories #19-27: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3..

Frontline Combat #7-15. The first six issues have been collected in Frontline Combat Vol. 1.

Impact! #1-5.

M.D. #1-5.

Psychoanalysis #1-5.

Two-Fisted Tales #36-41: Issues #18-35 have been collected in Two-Fisted Tales Vols. 1-3.

War Against Crime! #7-11: First six issues scheduled to be collected on Aug. 28 in EC Archives: War Against Crime! Vol. 1.

Weird Fantasy #19-22: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Weird Fantasy Vols. 1-3.

Weird Science-Fantasy #25-26: Weird Science-Fantasy picked up the numbering of Weird Science with issue #23 and turned into Incredible Science Fiction with issue #30. Issues #23-24 were included in Werid Science Vol. 4, and issues #27-29 were included in Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1. (I suspect these two issues will be collected with the last four issues of Weird Fantasy, for the standard six-issue package. But I don't know that for sure.)

I'm not including MAD, since DC Comics has that franchise now (and has reprinted all the comic book issues in MAD Archives Vols. 1-4). I'm also not including the Picto-Fiction line, which consisted of B&W magazines.

Did I miss anything? Who else is collecting these? And who's with me on wanting a few more pre-"New Trend" titles like Crime Patrol, Land of the Lost and Moon Girl?

Views: 2502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know you’re not reading the series of Fantagraphics collections spotlighting various EC artist or writers because you consider them superfluous to the EC archives (and they are), but I love them. I never did complete my collection of Russ Cochran hardcovers, but the ones I do have taught me to appreciate EC comics in black and white. The Fantagraphics series is black and white, too, with lurid titles and a trade dress that looks good sitting together on a shelf. Sometimes I’m in the mood to read the comics as originally presented, but sometimes I’m in the mood to read, say, Wally Wood. The 23rd volume, Doctor of Horror featuring stories drawn by “Ghastly” Graham Ingels, shipped yesterday.

23 volumes? I guess they're repeating some artists?

I had no idea there were so many. That's too many to play catch-up, should I decide to add those to the library now!

Some artists have more than one volume, yes.

TWO-FISTED TALES: Volume 4 (collecting issues #36-41) has been solicited for April 10 release, but how close is Dark Horse to completing their Creepy and Eerie collections?

CREEPY: Volume 27 (collecting issues #128-133) shipped yesterday. That leaves 13 more issues to be collected, so probably TWO MORE VOLUMES.

EERIE: Volume 26 (collecting issues #126-131) has been solicited for April 24 release. That leaves only eight more issues to be collected after that, so either ONE or TWO MORE VOLUMES (one thick one or two thin ones).

Jeff, on Creepy and Eerie, when I was buying them towards the end they were mostly reprinted stories. Did you account for this when calculating remaining volumes?

Richard beat me to it.

Of the remaining Creepy issues (#134-146), four are completely reprint (#137, 139, 142, 144). There may be more individual reprints sprinkled among the other issues, and the DH Archives don't run reprints. (The contents page of a given issue will note a reprint, and where in the Archives it first appeared.) The last issue was published by Harris, and although I can't tell from the various online sources I checked, it's likely that is an all-reprint issue too. So at best there are nine issues of material left, possibly less. That might be two small volumes or one big one.

Eerie has issues #132-139 left. Of those, at least three are all reprint (#133, 135, 137). That leaves five issues or less, which is no more than a single archive. I don't find a final issue by Harris, which is weird, since Harris did a single final issue of both Creepy and Vampirella. Maybe there was one, but the sources I checked didn't list it.

So Eerie will end with Volume 27, and Creepy will end with either Volume 28, or 29. We're really close!

Well, apparently everything I said above is wrong.

Amazon just listed the last TWO Creepy Archives editions. Contents Creepy Archives Vol. 28 are listed as issues #134-139 (despite two of them being all reprint). Contents for Creepy Archives Vol. 29 are listed as issues #140-145 (again, despite two of those being all reprint). Issue #146, which was published by Harris, will not be included. 

Only one of the remaining Eerie Archives volumes is listed, and it's been up a while.

<p>If you have any interest whatsoever in horror comics, from EC to Warren to <em>Eerie</em> to <em>Creepy</em>, you owe it to yourself to check out this comic from Archie Comics. It came out last year, and I got mine from Amazon (last year...I'm behind).</p>"'>

A few days ago, in the All-Purpose Archie Comics Thread, I wrote:

Chilling Adventures in Sorcery: This graphic novelization of some of the best of historical Archie horror comics was incredible. It was in black and white, and it had some really scary horror stories, both comic book and prose pages. The prose stories were all one-page masterpieces. I have never read one of those that I liked before today, and today I read a bunch of them.

This book features the talents of Dan DeCarlo, Gray Morrow, Howard Chaykin, Alex Toth, Larry Hama, Dick Giordano, Vincente Alcazar, Frank Thorne, Steve Skeates, Mary Skrenes, and Bruce Jones (plus a whole bunch more).

If you have any interest whatsoever in horror comics, from EC to Warren to Eerie to Creepy, you owe it to yourself to check out this comic from Archie Comics. It came out last year, and I got mine from Amazon (last year...I'm behind).

Anyone who is clamoring for this type of story needs to check this book out. It fits right in alongside the EC Archives as well as DC's House of Secrets, House of Mystery, Ghosts, etc.

I ordered the Chilling Adventures in Sorcery some time ago to prepare for writing about the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina TV show -- I had remembered that she was somehow involved. And I wrote about it somewhere on this site, and possibly in the Sabrina column itself.

For the record, Chilling Adventures in Sorcery ran 11 issues, albeit going through a name change with issue #6, to Red Circle Sorcery. The first two issues were done in Archie house style, with Sabrina intros. The rest were done by "serious" artists (without Sabrina) and were as good or better as contemporaries like House of Mystery or Creepy. Gray Morrow did so much work I wonder if he had a larger role than simply one of a handful of work-for-hires, and it was wonderful. This may have been his best work, and that's saying something.

I heard Vic Gorelick tell John Siuntres (on Word Balloon) that Chilling Adventures in Sorcery told the "greatest hits" of the title. That's too bad, because it's a fantastic volume, and I wish it was more comprehensive.

It appears to be comprehensive to me. What it isn't is in color. It's all B&W.

I pulled out my copy of Chilling Adventures in Sorcery, and it is comprehensive for the first seven issues. Even the text pages are included The title changed to Red Circle Sorcery with issue #6, and continued to issue #11, so Red Circle Sorcery #8-11 aren't included.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service