The arrival of Weird Fantasy Vol. 3 had the usual effect series collections have on me, making me wonder how close we were to finishing that series. In this case, that also means, by extension, the EC line.

I have cause to worry -- Dark Horse's track record on series collections isn't good. Currently it appears that the Tarzan, Archie and Crime Does Not Pay series have all stalled at nowhere near the end.

Anyway, I felt we were close enough to make a summary worthwhile. Here's where I think we are:

COMPLETED

Aces High: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Aces High Vol. 1.

Extra!: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Extra! Vol. 1.

Incredible Science Fiction: Four issues collected in EC Archives: Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1.

Panic: 12 issues collected in EC Archives: Panic Vols. 1-2.

Shock SuspenStories: 18 issues collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3.

Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt: 30 issues collected in EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Vols. 1-5.

Valor: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Valor Vol. 1.

Weird Science: 22 issues collected in EC Archives: Weird Science Vols. 1-4.

SCHEDULED FOR COMPLETION

Haunt of Fear: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Oct. 23.

Vault of Horror: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Dec. 28.

Piracy: One volume, scheduled for Feb. 26, 2019

UNSCHEDULED

Crime SuspenStories #19-27: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3..

Frontline Combat #7-15. The first six issues have been collected in Frontline Combat Vol. 1.

Impact! #1-5.

M.D. #1-5.

Psychoanalysis #1-5.

Two-Fisted Tales #36-41: Issues #18-35 have been collected in Two-Fisted Tales Vols. 1-3.

War Against Crime! #7-11: First six issues scheduled to be collected on Aug. 28 in EC Archives: War Against Crime! Vol. 1.

Weird Fantasy #19-22: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Weird Fantasy Vols. 1-3.

Weird Science-Fantasy #25-26: Weird Science-Fantasy picked up the numbering of Weird Science with issue #23 and turned into Incredible Science Fiction with issue #30. Issues #23-24 were included in Werid Science Vol. 4, and issues #27-29 were included in Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1. (I suspect these two issues will be collected with the last four issues of Weird Fantasy, for the standard six-issue package. But I don't know that for sure.)

I'm not including MAD, since DC Comics has that franchise now (and has reprinted all the comic book issues in MAD Archives Vols. 1-4). I'm also not including the Picto-Fiction line, which consisted of B&W magazines.

Did I miss anything? Who else is collecting these? And who's with me on wanting a few more pre-"New Trend" titles like Crime Patrol, Land of the Lost and Moon Girl?

Views: 1928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still missing “Frontline Combat” #13-15, aren’t we?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That leaves only MD of the "New Direction" titles.

Psychoanalysis ("New Direction") has been solicited for February 18

Mad Love ("Pre-Trend") December 11

"New Trend" is complete.

"Still missing 'Frontline Combat' #13-15, aren’t we?"

I don't think so, but I'll double check and report back here tomorrow Friday.

Actually, EC's Psychoanalysis ran for just four issues: They pulled the plug on this one even earlier than they did for the other New Direction books that went on for five issues apiece. So this volume will have to be padded out somewhat. They may have had a fifth issue ready to go and didn't bother to print it (they certainly couldn't have used the stories in any other titles).

The latest volume of Frontline that came out in Oct went up to 12. Which means 13-15 aren't collected yet, unless they are somewhere else? I guess we'd get one more smaller volume? 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Still missing 'Frontline Combat' #13-15, aren’t we?"

I don't think so, but I'll double check and report back here tomorrow Friday.

Google doesn't find a Frontline Combat Vol. 3, so maybe those three issues will be shoehorned into another collection that runs short, like Dark Horse did with the SF books. 

I checked Psychoanalysis, since it will run short. But Amazon says the Archives contains just the four issues.

Here's hoping. It would be a shame to fall three issues short of a complete EC. 

Captain Comics said:

Google doesn't find a Frontline Combat Vol. 3, so maybe those three issues will be shoehorned into another collection that runs short, like Dark Horse did with the SF books. 

I checked Psychoanalysis, since it will run short. But Amazon says the Archives contains just the four issues.

Mycomicshop.com has the Gemstone reprints for sale at reasonable prices. So if Dark Horse doesn't reprint those last three issues, we could get the reprints to finish the "set." But, yeah, I'd much prefer an HC in the same format as the others!

I knew they’d have problems trying to divide up those issues evenly. 

If someone ever does another series of reprints, perhaps they should organize them chronologically.

As I collected the single-issue reprints in the 1990s, I filed them by publication year and month and kept them that way. Once they were all there, I was able to do a complete read-through from 1950 to 1956 in order: it gives one a nice sense of history, watching the stories and the art being refined into the successful format.  Should I dip in for a partial re-read now, I would choose early, middle or late to fit my mood.

The first and last volumes would be time-compressed, but most could be of uniform size.

I like that method. I totally agree. I would love a "complete EC" series that puts everything in that kind of order. 

Don Mankowski said:

I knew they’d have problems trying to divide up those issues evenly. 

If someone ever does another series of reprints, perhaps they should organize them chronologically.

As I collected the single-issue reprints in the 1990s, I filed them by publication year and month and kept them that way. Once they were all there, I was able to do a complete read-through from 1950 to 1956 in order: it gives one a nice sense of history, watching the stories and the art being refined into the successful format.  Should I dip in for a partial re-read now, I would choose early, middle or late to fit my mood.

The first and last volumes would be time-compressed, but most could be of uniform size.

"The latest volume of Frontline that came out in Oct went up to 12."

Yes, I was mistaken. The most recent volume does, indeed, go only to #12. Weird. I'd rather see a thick volume than a slim one. That "best of" that shipped this week was certainly thick!

DH could have packaged Frontline Combat as three books of five issues each. Since they didn't, I have to hope they have some other plan.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service