The arrival of Weird Fantasy Vol. 3 had the usual effect series collections have on me, making me wonder how close we were to finishing that series. In this case, that also means, by extension, the EC line.

I have cause to worry -- Dark Horse's track record on series collections isn't good. Currently it appears that the Tarzan, Archie and Crime Does Not Pay series have all stalled at nowhere near the end.

Anyway, I felt we were close enough to make a summary worthwhile. Here's where I think we are:

COMPLETED

Aces High: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Aces High Vol. 1.

Extra!: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Extra! Vol. 1.

Incredible Science Fiction: Four issues collected in EC Archives: Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1.

Panic: 12 issues collected in EC Archives: Panic Vols. 1-2.

Shock SuspenStories: 18 issues collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3.

Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt: 30 issues collected in EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Vols. 1-5.

Valor: Five issues collected in EC Archives: Valor Vol. 1.

Weird Science: 22 issues collected in EC Archives: Weird Science Vols. 1-4.

SCHEDULED FOR COMPLETION

Haunt of Fear: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Oct. 23.

Vault of Horror: Fifth and final volume scheduled for Dec. 28.

Piracy: One volume, scheduled for Feb. 26, 2019

UNSCHEDULED

Crime SuspenStories #19-27: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Crime SuspenStories Vols. 1-3..

Frontline Combat #7-15. The first six issues have been collected in Frontline Combat Vol. 1.

Impact! #1-5.

M.D. #1-5.

Psychoanalysis #1-5.

Two-Fisted Tales #36-41: Issues #18-35 have been collected in Two-Fisted Tales Vols. 1-3.

War Against Crime! #7-11: First six issues scheduled to be collected on Aug. 28 in EC Archives: War Against Crime! Vol. 1.

Weird Fantasy #19-22: The first 18 issues have been collected in EC Archives: Weird Fantasy Vols. 1-3.

Weird Science-Fantasy #25-26: Weird Science-Fantasy picked up the numbering of Weird Science with issue #23 and turned into Incredible Science Fiction with issue #30. Issues #23-24 were included in Werid Science Vol. 4, and issues #27-29 were included in Incredible Science Fiction Vol. 1. (I suspect these two issues will be collected with the last four issues of Weird Fantasy, for the standard six-issue package. But I don't know that for sure.)

I'm not including MAD, since DC Comics has that franchise now (and has reprinted all the comic book issues in MAD Archives Vols. 1-4). I'm also not including the Picto-Fiction line, which consisted of B&W magazines.

Did I miss anything? Who else is collecting these? And who's with me on wanting a few more pre-"New Trend" titles like Crime Patrol, Land of the Lost and Moon Girl?

Views: 1505

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Travis, I checked all the usual sources for any such book, and came up empty. Have you written them?

Travis Meidell said:

I had the same debate as both of you. What I am hoping is that it comes with a few essays or extras in the back. If it doesn't, I might pass unless I find it discounted somewhere. Of course, I say that now, but the odds are, I'll buy it when it comes out! Haha. 

I've heard on Instagram once that Taschen was putting together a large EC book similar to what they did for DC and Marvel, but I can't find any news on it anywhere. Anyone hear anything about that?

When you first posed the question “How close are we to the end”? I thought we were still too far out to begin counting down, but now that another year has passed, let’s reassess our status, shall we?

NEW TREND (COMPLETE):
Tales from the Crypt (#17-46)
Vault of Horror (#12-40)
Haunt of Fear (28 issues)
Weird Science (#12-22)
Weird Fantasy (22 issues)
Weird Science Fantasy (#23-29)
Incredible Science Fiction (#30-33)
Crime SuspenStories (#1-27)
Shock suspenstories (#1-18)
Two-Fisted Tales (#18-41)

NEW DIRECTION (COMPLETE):
Piracy (#1-7)
Valor (#1-5)
Aces High (#1-5)
Extra! (#1-5)
Panic (#1-12)

So what does that leave?

NEW TREND (INCOMPLETE):
Frontline Combat – V1 (#1-6) released, V2 (#7-15) Oct 9

NEW DIRECTION (UNRELEASED):
MD (#1-5)
Impact (#1-5) April 15
Psychoanalysis (#1-4) Feb 18

PRE-TREND (INCOMPLETE/UNRELEASED):
War Against Crime [#1-6 (of 11) released]
Mad Love (#1-8) Dec 11

Also, there are ten issues of Crime Patrol (#7-16, from which Tales from the Crypt gets its numbering) and other “pre-trend” titles such as A Moon, A Girl, Romance and Saddle Romances which Dark Horse may or may not collect.

Okay, I went and found the original post. It was posted on EC Comics Instagram on March 21 and reads: 

The word is out! The Wonderful, Horrible EC Comics Book will be released by @taschen! The trim size is about 15.5 inches by 11.5 inches and 616 pages! There’s no set release date yet, but sit tight ghouls!

They have a cover posted, but I am not sure it's final. It seems to be written by Grant Geissman, who has written virtually every EC history book. Here is a link to the post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvR8YxEl3x7/

Captain Comics said:

Travis, I checked all the usual sources for any such book, and came up empty. Have you written them?

Travis Meidell said:

I had the same debate as both of you. What I am hoping is that it comes with a few essays or extras in the back. If it doesn't, I might pass unless I find it discounted somewhere. Of course, I say that now, but the odds are, I'll buy it when it comes out! Haha. 

I've heard on Instagram once that Taschen was putting together a large EC book similar to what they did for DC and Marvel, but I can't find any news on it anywhere. Anyone hear anything about that?

There's nothing on the Taschen site, Travis, or at Amazon or various news/compilation sites on the web. It's either a dead duck or so far out that nobody even has any advance info.

As to the EC collections, my personal itch will be scratched once all the New Trend and New Direction titles are published. If DH decides to pursue pre-New Trend books, I'll be happy with the two crime books and Moon Girl, but my interest doesn't extend much beyond that.

There's still the Picto-Fiction line, that was published in magazine form. Those included Confessions Illustrated, Crime Illustrated, Shock Illustrated and Terror Illustrated. l already have those in a boxed B&W collection from Russ Cochran, and can live with that. But I'd buy a new set of collections if they were released.

Another one bites the dust!

Eerie Archives v27 (reprinting issues #132-139) ships this week.

Eerie has now been collected in its entirety.

Yeah who knows with that Taschen thing? Could be cool if it happens. I am not too stressed either way. I really hope they give us the Picto-Fiction line. Fingers crossed on that one! 

Travis, do you recommend any of the other Taschen comics-related books? They sure have a lot of 'em.

I finished the final Creepy collection last night. I was mildly saddened, but comforted myself that if it had continued, the passage of time and lack of resources would have changed the Warren magazines anyway. And, honestly, they were in kind of a rut. It was mostly Don McGregor there at the end, and a couple of guys who wrote like him. Still, I'll pour one out for a title that gave me many hours of pleasure and introduced me to a lot of interesting artists. 

As noted, Eerie finishes this week. Vampirella is already finished. And I've heard no plans for any other Warren Archives, which might collect 1984/1994 #1-29, Goblin #1-3 or The Rook #1-14. TBH I'm really only interested in the first one.

Read the penultimate Eerie this week. I was surprised at how many artists I could name before checking the credits. These books are where I first saw Rudy Nebres, E.R. Cruz, Estaban Maroto and many others, and the Li'l Capn's brain evidently soaked it up. I had no idea I would remember these guys so well.

Incidentally, I pointed out somewhere on this board that I saw a story in Creepy, I think by Maroto, that featured a character who looked exactly like Gamora a few years before Jim Starlin drew her into Strange Tales #180. As much as I like Starlin, it was an appalling line-for-line swipe, from the fishnet bodysuit to the unique eye makeup.

I'm sorta pleased to announce it goes the other way. There's a Maroto story in this collection that has a line-for-line swipe of a Gil Kane dinosaur, I think from Blackmark. It could be from somewhere else, but it is definitely a Gil Kane dinosaur that sticks out from the other art like a sore claw.

There was also, strangely, an entire issue that was a single story combining a lot of Warren characters in an adventure. It doesn't seem connected to any of these characters' individual serials, it interrupts a number of other serials, nor is there any compelling reason given for why this story was written and why it took over a random issue of Eerie. My best guess is that it was written (by Rich Margopolous) and drawn (entirely by Cruz) to run as a serial (it is broken down into equal-length chapters) but Warren saw the axe coming and just ran the whole thing all at once instead of it being started with the possibility that the end would never be published.

Anyway, Eerie #130 stars Vampirella (!) and her entourage, Pantha and The Rook initially battling  Schreck, Child, Exterminator One, Hunter and Dax the Barbarian, although eventually the latter five saw that they were being manipulated by a sorcerer and switched sides. Later, Mac Tavish, Spook, Coffin and Hunter II got into the act.

It wasn't that great a story. But it did wind up the Pie serial (an alien in an amulet) and implied that all the Eerie serials' dystopic futures, like those of Hunter and Exterminator One, are connected.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service