The first appearance of the Eighth Doctor was in 1996 in a TV movie designed to be the pilot for a new TV show. The series wasn’t picked up, though, so by that measure, the Eighth Doctor might be considered to be the least successful of Doctors. In 2001, though, the Eighth Doctor began appearing in a series of audio adventures from Big Finish which continue to this day with no end in sight, so by that measure the Eighth Doctor might be considered to be among the most successful of Doctors. Paul McGann would eventually be featured in more than 30 adventures in Big Finish’s “main range” of Doctor Who audios, but in January 2007 he was awarded his own series of “Eighth Doctor Adventures” released in four “seasons” co-starring Sheridan Smith as new companion Lucie Miller.

I’m going to skip over the early audio adventures in the main range for now and concentrate on “The Eighth Doctor Adventures” beginning with season one. This may be an overly ambitious objective, but it is my intention to cover every episode of all four seasons (as listed below). At that point, I will either go back to the beginning, or continue on with the series “Dark Eyes” and “Doom Coalition”. As with my discussion of Dark Shadows audios, I will maintain an index in this initial post.

SEASON ONE

1.1 Blood of the Daleks, Pt. 1 - p1
1.2 Blood of the Daleks, Pt. 2 - p1
1.3 Horror of Glam Rock - p2
1.4 Immortal Beloved - p2
1.5 Phobos - p2
1.6 No More Lies - p3
1.7 Human Resources, Pt. 1 - p3
1.8 Human Resources, Pt. 2 - p3

SEASON TWO

2.1 Dead London - p3
2.2 Max Warp - p4
2.3 Brave New Town - p4
2.4 The Skull of Sobek - p4
2.5 Grand Theft Cosmos - p5
2.6 The Zygon Who Fell to Earth - p5
2.7 Sisters of the Flame - p5
2.8 Vengeance of Morbius - p5

SEASON THREE

3.1 Orbis - p5
3.2 Hothouse - p5
3.3 The Beast of Orlok - p6
3.4 Wirrn Dawn - p6
3.5 The Scapegoat - p6
3.6 The Cannibalists - p6
3.7 The Eight Truths - p7
3.8 Worldwide Web - p7

An Earthly Child - p7

SEASON FOUR

4.1 Death in Blackpool - p7
4.2 Situation Vacant - p7
4.3 Nevermore - p8
4.4 The Book of Kells - p8
4.5 Deimos - p8
4.6 The Resurrection of Mars - p9
4.7 Relative Dimensions - p9
4.8 Prisoner of the Sun - p10
4.9 Lucie Miller - p10
4.10 To the Death - p10

THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF LUCIE MILLER

1.1 The Dalek Trap - p
1.2 The Revolution Game - p
1.3 The House on the Edge of Chaos - p
1.4 Island of the Fendahl - p

Views: 1250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lucie Miller, my favorite companion, is back in “The Further Adventures of Lucie Miller.”

Listen.

THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF LUCIE MILLER

“Four new adventures featuring the Eighth Doctor and Lucie Miller

“It’s been several months since Lucie Miller, Blackpool’s mouthiest, landed up travelling through time and space in the company of the Doctor, the last living person to believe that frock coats are acceptable apparel.

“They’ve met Daleks on Red Rocket Rising, Cybermen on the planet Lonsis and alien monsters eating glam rockers at a service station just off the M62. But their greatest adventures are yet to come…”

This set was released in July of 2019. Lucie Miller is my favorite companion, so that gives you an idea of how far behind I am. “The Further Adventures of Lucie Miller” occurs between seasons one and two of “The Eighth Doctor Adventures”. The story arc of season one led directly into that of season two. My only concern (and it’s a minor one) is that, if listened to in chronological order, the “Further Adventures” will be an ill fit.

THE DALEK TRAP:

“The thing about black holes is, they’re big and they’re black and they’re deadly, and you’d have to be mad to go anywhere near them. Because anything that falls inside a black hole ends up crushed in the singularity. Unfortunately, the Doctor just went mad, or so it seems, and flew his TARDIS beyond a black hole’s event horizon, causing him and his companion Lucie Miller to end up marooned on a planetoid just inside the event horizon. Along with a Dalek saucer… and something else. Because this is no ordinary black hole… This is the Cradle of the Darkness.”

COMMENTARY: “The Dalek Trap” provides a great introduction (or reintroduction, as the case may be) to the character of Lucie Miller. It begins with several “vignettes” of untold adventures. The storytelling conceit is that the story is related, at least partially, via a tape-recorded diary kept by Lucie while trapped on the event horizon of a black hole facing certain death (a motif borrowed from Dark Shadows). I enjoyed the story, but I’m not entirely sure how/why they came to be trapped in the black hole. Apparently the doctor collapsed a super-nova in order to create a black hole to trap the Daleks and got caught himself…? I’m sure it will become clear when I re-listen to it.

THE REVOLUTION GAME:

“It’s Lucie’s birthday, and her birthday treat awaits. But whatever she’s expecting, it’s not what she’s getting on the colony world of Castus Sigma in the year 3025: ringside seats for the interplanetary Retro Roller Derby – sponsored by Heliacorp, ‘turning sunlight into gold!’ It’s more than just a game, though. For the competitors, it’s a matter of life or death – a New Life with Heliacorp, or a living death on Castus Sigma. Or, on this fateful day, a very actual death. Because there are strange creatures living out on the plain, beyond the colony. Creatures with every reason to want to sabotage the games. Creatures with a grudge.”

COMMENTARY: The main plot deals with a native population being suppressed by a human-owned company, but it plays out against a story of Lucie playing in the local roller derby (because reasons). On this planet of lighter gravity, Lucie’s strength and stamina have been increased. She refers to herself throughout as being “bionic.”

THE HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF CHAOS:

“The TARDIS brings the Doctor and Lucie to a vast house on the planet known as Horton’s Orb. The only house on Horton’s Orb, in fact. Outside its outsized windows there’s nothing. No land. No sea. No sky. No life. Just an endless expanse of static. Inside the house, there’s an upstairs and a downstairs – servants below, gentlefolk from the finest of the house’s families above. Alas, there are altogether too few eligible ladies on the upper floors these days. Meaning there’s a vacancy for Miss Lucie Miller, single and unattached. Outside the house, the static howls on. Except now, the static wants to get in.”

COMMENTARY: That’s a pretty decent teaser; I really have nothing to add. The Doctor has been setting the TARDIS for random destination lately, which he does again at the end of this episode. The TARDIS shuts down, simply stops, as if in protest of materializing at the random coordinates. The Doctor becomes angry and actually shouts at the TARDIS before forcing it on its way. I can hardly wait to see where/when they land.

ISLAND OF THE FENDAHL:

“The Fendahl is the death of evolution, the horror that lies in wait at the far end of the food chain.
The Fendahl is death itself. And the Fendahl is dead. The Doctor destroyed it many years ago, in another incarnation, when he encountered it in a place called Fetchborough. But if the Fendahl is dead… how can it live again, on the remote island of Fandor?”

COMMENTARY: The TARDIS objects to the Doctor’s manual piloting and sends a shock through his body, which un-synchs his heartbeats. (Heartsbeat? Heartsbeats? Whatever.) He puts himself into a coma-like trance to correct the problem, but when he doesn’t revive after a couple of minutes, Lucie takes his sonic screwdriver and sets out on her own to find help. She heads east (downhill) and soon meets a young man collecting caterpillar specimens. He mistakes her for a young woman who is missing and suspected of being abducted and held against her will. He uses chloroform to keep her from leaving and takes her to the local detective investigating the case. Shortly after Lucie left the TARDIS, the Doctor revived. He decides to head west (uphill), and soon comes upon a “hippie commune” at which the missing girl is being held.

This is a sequel to the Fourth Doctor and Leela television episode obviously, but the end also ties back to “The Dalek Trap,” the first story in this set. (The end also explains the points I was unclear on when I listened to part one.) This set takes advantage of that fact that it takes place between series one and two of “The Eighth Doctor Adventures” and “foreshadows” things yet to happen in series 2-4. I needn’t have worried that these stories would interrupt the momentum leading from series one to two. Because this set is titled “The Furth Adventures of Lucie Miller,” the stories are largely Lucie-centric.

Jeff - Who's the woman shown with the McGann Doctor in the segment of this that begins at 14:51, and is labeled "Big Finish Theme #1"?

Ah. That's Liv Chenka (played by Nicola Walker). Her first appearance was in "Robophobia" (a sequel to the TV serial "Robots of Death") alongside the Seventh Doctor, but she has been a regular companion of the Eighth Doctor since "The Traitor." 

ROBOPHOBIA - See "Miscellaneous Big Finish Audios" p.2

THE TRAITOR - See "Dark Eyes," p.2

Cool. Thanks

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Ah. That's Liv Chenka (played by Nicola Walker). Her first appearance was in "Robophobia" (a sequel to the TV serial "Robots of Death") alongside the Seventh Doctor, but she has been a regular companion of the Eighth Doctor since "The Traitor." 

ROBOPHOBIA - See "Miscellaneous Big Finish Audios" p.2

THE TRAITOR - See "Dark Eyes," p.2

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service