Replies

• ...Of course , it reprints the last of Lee & Kirby's " ishes " of F.F...and the Stan & JRSR/John S. issues which followed thereafter !

The famed 102.? run ends here - plus that extra issue, #108 , of an non-completed Jack story that Stan held back for several issues and then released the first month DC's new " KIRBY IS HERE ! " titles hit the stands , that ol' sentimental Smiley !

( I was not even aware of this issue for many years...Now , I remember that last year-ish , Marvel put out a newly " remastered " version of just the Jack parts?? , with new Stan dialogue ? Was that discussed here ? )

I guess it's comics history that L-K were:

Certainly not getting along with each other too well by then .

(2) Depending on where you are on the " Just how important was Stan anyway ? " issue , ranging from a 196-s fanzine fan at one end to Gary Groth and our own Henry the K. at the other end...Um...........whatever .

(3) It tends to be thought that a " do something similar to whaesn't it ?

Much if this I have never read before .t's been oat times commented that the team appeared to have something of a " Do something similar to what's been on TV or in the movies recently . " The Prisoner , Star Trek's " A Piece Of The Action " episode . ) order-of-the-day in mind , hasn't it ?????????

I've cherrypicked this afternoon , (depending on how much reaction I get here) I could do an issue -by-issue review now...There are " bonus tracks here...Indicated in the Contents...the new covers to otherwise all-reprints F. F. SPECIALS ( Not " Annuals " , dammit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #7&8...and not indicated , 4 noninled Jack pages and the Bullpen " facebook " , heh heh heh heh , that appeared in Special #7 , proably looking better than it did the first time...I read #100 in my cherrypicking , an issue I spent a whole month wanting to get ( The main comic source in my little town was up a big hill and that was rather far for my 10-yr.-old self , even if they definitely had it . ) , and never did , and have never read until now...While BATMAN #200 actually preceded in in being a C-Note issue w/a " looking back " story , I suppose this one popularized it...

• ...Now , during at least part of this period , Stan experimented with Marvel

drop-

p

i

n

g

The famed continued stories for a while  didn't he ?

Even when that was not on , Stan was perhaps trying to use less verbiage when he wrote , over Jack in particular or no?? , wasn't he ????????? Franl;y , reading this stuff , Reed's " I've got a hundred pairs of sweat socks !!!!!!!!!!! " daddy-ness seemed a bit much , at least at first...But , to finish this installment on a compliment...........#94's Agatha Harkness-introducing spooky story sure shows off Kirby's BLACK MAGIC best...Oh , BTW , is the human form Creature From The Lost Lagoon meant to appear like Kirby ???

• ...I read #95...one of about seven consecutive Done In One stories leading up until Jack's departure - still skipping to-day .

Did Monocle ever re-appear ?????????

You know , John Byrne , when he started HIS FF run , famousy stated that , as far as he was concerned , his first issue could be #103 , ignoring everything that had happened in-between those ishes...........

• ...This ignores that Jack's last ish - IS THE FIRST PART OF A THREE-PARTER - ending upon a cliffhanger - with major villians - TWO - one not generally identified with Jack's art , though first drawn by him ( And looking a little different than the more standard Marvel Age version of him thus . ) , one an F.F. regular9Ad well as a character elsewhere . )...

• ...#102 starts a Sub-Mariner/Magneto arc !!!!!!!!! As said , ending upon a cliffhanger .

Magneto , discovered by Subby post-the events of X-MEN #63 , Eric-tricks Namor into , yes , once again invading the surface world/N. Y. C............How many times did Jack draw Eric after X-M #1 and before this ? He lookws more " real " as regards that helmet of his than he usually did then...And , oddly like Sir Ian with more of his proibosci , etcetera , showing from beneath it tho perhaps I'm projecting again !!!!!!!!!

The cover is not by Jack , looks like , and oddly enough the very last panel is missing the " next ish "-specific lettering on the bottom that all other issues in here have , although that would seem to be a matter for Stan , as editor & scripter , and the letterer...Perhaps it is to compensate for an extra-large word balloon at the top of the panel...Was Stan thinking that he'd finish up on a long story to keep any possible fence-sitters , anyway , into the first couple issues of the new regime ??? Seems likely !!!

Frankly , it seems art-wise like this issue is a " Baby , One More Time " of Jack's favorite bits as he says goodbye to them , or perhaps I'm projercting again...Some fun business from Benjy starting off  a touch of Kirby monsters , then a walk through some Kirby Palaces & Machinery...

• Every story I've heard about Jack's departure from Marvel is that he mailed in his last work on a Saturday, called Stan on the phone on Sunday to tell him he'd resigned, and began working on DC books on Monday. Maybe his leaving cliffhangers in both the F.F. and THOR was one more way of saying "F*** you."

• By the way, over at the SA Marvel site (before it went down), I posted a few pages from FF #102, and on the last page, included a link that said "next". At the bottom of the page, the blurb reads, "Next: WAR!" If you clicked the link at the site, you got THIS.

• If so, Stan was gracious enough to take Jack back five years later, after Kirby's DC books had bombed

Its a point worth making, but but if you are trying to bring some even-handedness to the discussion, "Bombed" is a bit much, surely?  The Fourth World books sold well by the standards of the time and really well by the standards of a few short years later.  Kamandi lasted for 50 issues (40 under Kirby), which is not to be sniffed at.

In any case, I can see that rather than being an emotive "F*** You" to Marvel and Stan, leaving a multi-issue arc after part 1 might have been an intellectual experiment by Kirby just to see (or show the world) what himself and Stan's respective contribution to those great books actually was.  Maybe he wanted to see how Stan would work without him?

EKDJ can tell us how Stan did...

• They said it couldn't be done, but you've mastered the factual opinion, George.

• I think Kamandi was Jack's last "great" book. It was Kirby at his most imaginative, creating a new world. It certainly had more heart than The Eternals, Machine Man and Devil Dinosaur despite what merits they had.

This reply was deleted.