Okay , here's a thought .

I jst recently bought , at my LCS , a Marvel Milestone Edition facsmile reprint of the entirety of FANTASTIC FOUR #1 - for a dollar .

Let's try re-reading this story , with what we know now .

It's been manymanymany times reprinted , so , unless anyone here is SO anti-Marvel that they-Well , I shudder to think !

Anyway , let's find , if we can , some version of the story and comment about it again , from today's perspective and maybe imagining what it might'vbe seemd like in '61 .

MSA , did you declare that - behind Spidey in AF #15??? - it was the most , or the second most , reprinted Marvel story , anyway ?

Fittingly enuff:-) , I believe you stated that Superman's first story , though in the SUPERMAN #1 " director's cut " version , not the ACTION #1 " AM radio edit " , was the winn-ah ! there .

FF #1's story is a book-length , 25-page , story - taking advantage of a first issue's then-not needing to have a Post Office-required text page , possible etcetera , to be a little longer , and I suppose that its' title is just that , " The Fantastic Four ! " , as Reed's non-equally-sized raygun flare letters spell out on the splash page ( I first read it in FANTASTIC FOUR SPECIAL #7 , from '69 , incidentally . )...

Views: 950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My problem is if Ditko, Romita, Wood, Heck, Buscema and the rest were writing Stan's books in the 60s, does that mean that they wrote Roy Thomas'? And why weren't they writing in the 70s? Why would Marvel pay two people doing the work one person could have done? Or already did?

Yeah, that's an argument that doesn't bear scrutiny. While Stan is certainly part-hype, the idea that he's an empty suit like the "Bob Kane" credit on 50s Batman comics is silly. Stan contributed quite a bit to his comics, regardless of his collaborator.

Philip Portelli said:

My problem is if Ditko, Romita, Wood, Heck, Buscema and the rest were writing Stan's books in the 60s, does that mean that they wrote Roy Thomas'? And why weren't they writing in the 70s? Why would Marvel pay two people doing the work one person could have done? Or already did?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
50 minutes ago
Luke Blanchard replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Tales to Astonish
"The Executioner doesn't have his axe. It was taken off him when he was exiled to Earth in…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I don't have a transition cover. This final cover from me is not quite a courtroom but…"
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
"Spencer is telling stories in six-issue arcs, and v2 #1-6 could just as easily have been v1 #11-16.…"
4 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"It is now after midnight where I live and since I will be away from my computer for most of Tuesday…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2023
"Yeah, but the title?"
10 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2023
"@Jeff: Captain Mar-Vell began to be consistently called that way in the mid 1980s.  The first…"
10 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2023
"Oh, yeah... that makes sense."
10 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"They probably would have written this down. Ya'd think. This sounds like the…"
10 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Jan. 30-Feb. 5, 2023
"And when did Marvel start spelling the title "Captain Mar-Vell"? My guess would be to…"
13 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Don't have much left but here's today's, courtesy of the Grand Comics Database."
13 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Peter Wrexham's discussion Celebrity Mastermind - "The History of DC Comics"
"Nipsey Russell was in the cast of Car 54, Where Are You? But the bulk of his career was…"
14 hours ago

© 2023   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service