Can anyone tell me where and how to get a complete run of Alex Raymond/Mac Raboy Flash Gordon?

I have some Checker collections, some hardback, some softback. Which appear to be the dailies. And now IDW is offering new collections, which appear to be the Sundays. Plus other "Mac Raboy" collections, which I can't tell -- are they Sundays, dailies, or both?

I'm not quite sure what I've got, and/or what I need. Any advice would help.

Views: 2061

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The questions to ask might be what the quality of IDW's reproductions will be like, whether they will be in colour, and what size they're going to be.

“The Definitive Flash Gordon & Jungle Jim will include every Sunday by Raymond from both classic strips, remastered, restored, and presented in the oversized, 12" x 16" 'champagne' edition format.”

Recently , COMICS REVUE has been reprinting both Raboy Sundays…

I really like Comics Revue, but gave up trying to complete my collection when deluxe hardcover reprints of so many series began to become so prevalent. What do you think of the new double-size format? (I say “new” but it debuted in October 2009.) I haven’t seen it, myself; my local shop doesn’t carry it, and I thought $16 per copy was too steep to preorder. Still, I did pre-order the 300th issue (solicited to ship April 8).

Does anyone have or know about that book collecting Al Williamson's various versions of the strip over the years?

It includes every Flash Gordon comic book (not strip) Al Williamson ever did, including the 1980 movie adaptation and the 1995 series for Marvel. It’s oversized, black and white, and like I said above, “indispensible.”
Does the Al Williamson book duplicate what Dark Horse is doing?

In their Flash Gordon comic book archive series? Yes. But there's a case for buying both. King couldn't afford Al Williamson every issue, so the Dark Horse Archive series has the benefit of being complete, and in color. Tthe Al Williamson collection has the benefite of being large, complete Al Willamson, and the black and white reproduction really allows you to "get between the lines" of some of his best work. You (personally) will not be disappointed with this book.

...I like Comics Revue's new-er format , I should clarify that the Raboy reprints seemed to be from originally as-published Sunday strips , with the original color .

With poverty and some personal confusion , I've been unable to regularly get CR .

I did see the cover to #300 on another board , and I'm glad that I'm still in advance of it !!!!!!!!!

Well , CR lets you sample strips , and enjoy them in something approaching the serial format they were written to be appreciated uin...I think they tend a bit to cover " lesser-known " periods of those strips , rather than from the beginning as deluxe book collections tend to start from , bnoth for obvious filing/order reason and because fans in America tend to perfer more Golden Age-style art , I was going to bring this up ona Phantom-oriented board I'm on , Sy Barry's Phantom and Fred Fredericks' Mandrake appear to be fairly considtently ignored by those who have put together American reprints , perhaps their styles could be seen as more " mid-20th Century " - Or " postwar " ( as in WWII ) , maybe ??????? - " comic strip " rather than " comic book " , more illustrative , say ?????
  I was following Dave Sim's GLAMOURPUSS before the reverses , too , so you can expound here...

Returning to CR's penchant for " odd/in-between " periods , they were publishing STEVE CANYON reprints from the Vietnam War/Richard Nixion years , sort of an awkward time for such strips...I discovered/re-discovered BUZ SAWYER there , which is apprently comig from Fantagraphics in f-t-b WWII-set volumes , these are Cape Canaveral/JFK-era strips in CR , rathr perhaps more , ironically ,recognizably " another time " from us than WWII is , at least as portrayed in a comic strip??

It's surprising to hear the 1980 feature film referred to as "very faithful", when I consider how much like a JOKE it was treated (and how really stupid they made Prince Barin, the guy in the movie thinks with his I shouldn't say it here).

The 1936 FLASH GORDON serial with Buster Crabbe, Frank Shannon & Charles Middleton, however, may be the single most "faithful" adaptation of a a comic-story to film ever attempted.  It only really goes astray when they hit the "Tournament Of Death" seqence, probably due to a combination of budget and censorship (999 combatants had to die in the comic-strip for there to be 1 winner).

Interestingly enough, Dale in the serials-- especially the 2nd and even moreso in the 3rd serial-- is MUCH more intelligent than she was ever portrayed in the comic-strip. The comic Dale got jealous of Flash ALL the time, when he never did anything to warrant it.  The movie Dale-- particularly Carol Hughes in ...CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE, only gets jealous when there's actual flirting going on on the part of some other woman-- Queen Fria of Frigia, and Sonya.  Flash just smiles at her and ignores it, and Dale focuses her anger on the other woman, NOT her loyal, loving man. She even gets into a CATFIGHT with Sonja, which I thought was great. (The B**** had it coming!!)

I really don't think anyone has better captured those characters than the actors in the old serials, although Max Von Sydow as Ming, Ornella Muti as Aura, Brian Blessed as Vultan, and Topol as Prof. Zarkov WEREN'T BAD. (He really got-- in an exagerated, hilarious way-- the earliest "crazed" Zarkov, who was in such a panic when the entire world was about to be destroyed. In the comic, the serial and the 1980 film, that didn't last long.)  But Crabbe, Shannon, Middleton, they're still the best.  Not to mention Richard Alexander as Barin, and Priscilla Lawson as Aura.  I alway remember the first time I watched the '36 serial, when Aura was onscreen, my DAD would say, "Hubba hubba".

You clearly know your Flash, Henry, so I'll count on you to keep us accurate!

Henry R. Kujawa said:

It's surprising to hear the 1980 feature film referred to as "very faithful"...

I would say it's faithful to the spirit of the of the original serials if not the comic strips.

Those IDW collections are in the current Previews, BTW, and they look bee-YOO-tiful!
I just remember the night I ran the film for my parents, and my Dad shook his head and said, "I thought this was gonna be SERIOUS like the old ones!"
That's funny. :)

It is kinda funny.  Ever since that film came out in October 1980, I've felt that so much work went into the film, it seemed a shame that they didn't QUITE get it "right". Turning Arboria from a forest into a SWAMP, turning Barin from a noble leader into a sex-driven hothead, making Flash a dumb jock ("Flash Gordon! Quarterback! New York Jets!" --as in, name, rank & serial number), and generally playing it too much for laughs, side-by-side with an exagerated obsession with death, death and more death... it's like they couldn't quite decide what kind of film they wanted to make. I kept feeling like, with just a LITTLE bit of fine-tuning, they could have had a REAL "classic" on their hands.

One thing I had no trouble with was the score-- both the music by Queen, and, as I later learned, Howard Blake (the guy who scored several of the Tara King episodes of THE AVENGERS). I've got both albums, the latter on CD. But then you have the "Flash's Theme" 45, where they re-edited all the film's goofiest dialogue into it-- that thing's a RIOT, but, for good or bad, it sums up the film's general attitude (and the public's perception of it).  "Flash, I LOVE you-- but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!"  (One or the other, but both in the same sentence is just ridiculous.)

There were so many good actors in there (Sam Jones ASIDE). Among other things, incredibly enough, FG was the film that made me a fan of Timothy Dalton-- IN SPITE of how dumb they wrote his character!  I recall being thrilled when I heard he'd been cast as Bond.  Recently, I read that the 007 producers, on seeing FG, briefly considered casting Dalton as Bond, Topol as Columbo, Sydow as Kristatos & Muti as Melina for FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.  Only Topol made it into the film, though Sydow and Dalton would later appear in other Bond films.  FYEO, incidentally, is my favorite Roger Moore movie-- but despite that, lately, whenever I watch it, I keep wishing Dalton had done it instead.

I've also enjoyed Ornella Muti in a couple other films-- OSCAR and ONCE UPON A CRIME ("This is your WIFE?" "WHY does everyone keep ASKING me that?"), it's a shame she did so few English-language films (she has a long resume of Italian films).

Does anyone besides me feel the ending was a cheat? I was really hoping Flash & Ming would have a swordfight, instead of Ming getting IMPALED by the nose of a rocket ship... I mean, HOW do you just stand there and let a thing like that happen?

And of course, the ending pays tribute to HORROR OF DRACULA, with the ring being the last thing the camera focuses on. It's obvious to me they planned a sequel, but somehow it didn't happen.  Incidentally, the theatre I saw it in, they were in such a hurry on opening night to get the crowd in for the next show, they cut the film off exactly where it said "The End?"  I never saw or heard the end credits and that GREAT end theme song, "The Hero", until I got the soundtrack LP, and then saw the film on HBO.

I was about 20 when Flash Gordon came out, and was quite disappointed at its camp elements -- maybe I identify with your Dad! I felt the same way about 1975's Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze.

OTOH, I really enjoyed both Alec Baldwin's The Shadow and Billy Zane's The Phantom. The critics savaged both, and now everybody I meet who's seen them sheepishly agree that they were terrible. Why? I thought they were both sufficiently faithful to the source material and entertaining. And, good grief -- Phantom had Catherine Zeta-Jones as a bisexual, leather-clad dominatrix. How on earth do fanboys not like THAT? Photobucket

I used to think BATMAN (1966), DOC SAVAGE (1976) and FLASH GORDON (1980) would make a great triple-feature.  However, last year, I watched DOC SAVAGE again... oh my God. It somehow got MUCH WORSE than I remembered.  By a wide margin, the best thing about the film was Ron Ely as Doc.  Renny was also pretty cool (he went on to become George Peppard's 1st nemesis on THE A-TEAM). But so much of the film was an abortion, clearly done by people who had no respect for what they were doing.

BATMAN, even when it came out, was a disappointment to my 7-year-old self (it was a major step DOWN from the 1st season), but somehow I can tolerate it, perhaps because it's more consistent.

FLASH GORDON, on the other hand, somehow managed to be more tolerable than it should be. Left-handed compliment, but there you go.

Now, THE SPIRIT (1987)-- with Sam Jones, Nana Visitor & Gary Walberg-- WOW.  That's FUN.  Sure, it could have been better, and once again Sam Jones is the weak link in the whole film.  But it's JUST good enough, every time I watch it I have a big smile on my face, and I usually wind up thinking, "If only the BATMAN tv show had been this good."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service