Can anyone tell me where and how to get a complete run of Alex Raymond/Mac Raboy Flash Gordon?

I have some Checker collections, some hardback, some softback. Which appear to be the dailies. And now IDW is offering new collections, which appear to be the Sundays. Plus other "Mac Raboy" collections, which I can't tell -- are they Sundays, dailies, or both?

I'm not quite sure what I've got, and/or what I need. Any advice would help.

Views: 2140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just watched FLASH GORDON: THE GREATEST ADVENTURE OF ALL  (1979) again. Filmation's finest 2 hours!

As I was watching the film again tonight, I recognized Vic Perrin-- "The Control Voice" from THE OUTER LIMITS!! I didn't recognize David Opatashu, who I've seen in several things (EXODUS, TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD, STAR TREK: "A Taste Of Armageddon"), I actually thought it might have been Keye Luke!

Flash's voice sounded very familiar, but I couldn't place it. What a surprise to find out it was Robert Ridgely-- who 2 years later was the voice of Thundarr The Barbarian! (I was just watching all 21 episodes of that.)

There's a sequence halfway thru the film where Flash, Thun & Aura are trynig to escape from the mine, after starting a slave revolt. It struck in my head, it really seems Steve Gerber and/or Alex Toth may have seen this when they created THUNDARR, as those 3 in that scene reminded me very much of Thundarr, Ookla & Ariel. Thundarr was said to have led a slave revolt in the opening sequence of his show, but they never did an actual episode teling that story.

Incidentally, the story I read-- way back when-- was that Dino DeLaurentis' company got the European distribution rights for the Filmation cartoon feature. The feature was rejected by US TV in its original form, and they couldn't find any domestic theatrical distribution (everyone in the US considered animation "kids stuff" and wouldn't even consider a serious "adventure" cartoon-- narrow-minded idiots!). But Dino's company distributed it theatrically in Europe. What a blast it must have been to see it on a BIG SCREEN.

Anyway, the story goes, Dino had never heard of "Flash Gordon"-- and was so blown away by the film, he was inspired to do his own live-action version. This becomes very obvious when you notice how several key plots points in BOTH films are almost IDENTICAL and shown in the same order, plot points which have NOTHING TO DO with the original 1933 Alex Raymond comic-strip, or, the 1936 Universal serial! You have Barin, who on finding out that Aura loves Flash, decides to KILL him. Just then the Hawkmen arrive. When Ming arrives at Hawk City, he DESTROYS the city! Only after this do the warring parties decide to take Flash's advice and join forces. The climax has Ming's intended wedding to Dale interrupted by an invasion force. (Of course, in the Dino version, the last part was played for laughs-- and while it seemed to be building up to a Flash-Ming fight, we never saw one in the Dino film, as if someone changed their mind at the last second.)

So in effect, the Filmation film is directly responsible for the very existence of the Dino FLASH GORDON film!! (I wouldn't trust information put together for publicity purposes 14 years AFTER the film was made.)

I think at least some of the Raymond run was reprinted in Italy in the 70s.

It gets me that an animated film like the one Filmation did probably gained rave reviews everywhere on Earth-- except in the US, where it was never shown, until a full 3 years after it was made. By which point, most people here probably assumed it wass a compilation of the Saturday morning TV series. Which it wasn't. The animation was probably the best Filmation had ever done (with very few sequences repeated), and it had a much more "adult" tone, with enough "sex and violence" that it could never have been shown on Saturday mornings at the time-- and probably not during "family viewing hour" (meaning, not before 10 PM).  But by 1982, "family viewing hour" had become a ting of the past. I could tell when, a year later, MIKE HAMMER was running at 8 PM-- and it had far more "sex and violence" than most shows a few years earlier that would never have gotten on at such an early hour.

I wish I could remember where I read the account about the film. Something tells me it may have been in Steranko's PREVUE magazine. It gets me that other accounts, many years later, totally contradict certain important details. My instincts tell me the earlier account was correct. Too many things about the 2 films, both in their approach, and certain story details, make me feel there's NO WAY those 2 films could have just happened independantly of each other. the image of Italian movie mogul Dino DeLaurentis, who sadly had by then gained a rep for doing "tacky" films, somehow, unlike anyone in Hollywood at the time, actually managing to get a film made, from initial idea to theatrical release, in LESS THAN A YEAR, is kinda mind-blowing. What a guy! Of course, it really helps explain why the script is so AWFUL in spots.

I believe it was Dino's daughter who acquired the Euro distribution rights. Dino didn't see the film until it was already being shown-- and THAT was his introduction to the character. Amazing!

Last night:

FLASH GORDON: THE GREATEST ADVENTURE OF ALL  (1979)

Filmation's finest creation ever!!!

Tonight:

FLASH GORDON  (1980)

Of all the really idiotic movies out there, this has to be the most MAGNIFICENT. Incredible cast (barring the lead), absolutely dazzling production & costume designs (some of which make no sense at all), even more sex & violence by far than the Filmation feature, some really intense, EXCITING sequences, side-by-side with some of the DUMBEST dialogue ever uttered in a movie. Talk about schizo... The one thing I can say without reservation, this film's got WAY better music than the Filmation version. The combined talents of Howard Blake (who scored many Tara King episodes of THE AVENGERS) and the rock group Queen push this film completely "OVER THE TOP"!!!

I cannot believe the timing of this.  I watch FLASH GORDON (1980) for the first time in ages, and TODAY, Brian Blessed gets in the news!!!

I've been reading Al Williamson's Star Wars work over the weekend (comic books and strips), which has really put me in the mood to re-read his Flash Gordon.

Interesting that they cover-up the word "crap"

Henry R. Kujawa said:

I cannot believe the timing of this.  I watch FLASH GORDON (1980) for the first time in ages, and TODAY, Brian Blessed gets in the news!!!

Thought I'd pass this on, from Kirby_Land.... enjoy!

"On the other hand, as I've stated on other lists, the Flash Gordon comic of the sixties was great.  Williamson, Crandall, Jones, et al.  Well written space opera.  The comic strip, ditto, although the plots were a bit repetitious.  Flash gets captured by beautiful queen or princess, she wants him, and he escapes/gets rescued by Dale and Zarkov."

Beginning with Alex Raymond, the FLASH GORDON newspaper strip (which was created by the syndicate in a deliberate move to compete with BUCK ROGERS) had the most stunningly beautiful art in the papers.

However, several people (including some of the artists) have pointed out that it also had some of the WORST writing of any major strip. My understand is, the earliest, "pulp"-inspired adventures were the work of Raymond himself. This got adapted, with surprising faithfulness, into the first 8 episode of the 1936 FLASH GORDON serial. But about the time his art began to be more and more gorgeous to look at, others took over the writing, and, judging by the results, nobody cared about quality.

To me, the most annoying feature of the writing-- apart from its endless repetitiveness-- is the way Dale Arden was presented, over and and over and over, as the most selfish, short-tempered, untrusting, JEALOUS female ever seen in fiction. Again and again, Flash proves his devotion and undying love for her, and risks his life to save her on countless occasions. Yet, OVER AND OVER, the B**** keeps accusing HIM of chasing after everything in a skirt (or less).

Considering how often Hollywood has mutilated existing properties in film adaptations, it's rather shocking that the Dale Arden in the Universal serials was portrayed as MUCH nicer and MUCH smarter than the version in the comics!

In fact, I found it amusing that the first time Dale showed any jealousy in the Universal serials was in the 3rd one (my favorite), FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE. Dale (played by Carol Hughes, who replaced Jean Rogers) gets jealous over 2 women-- Queen Fria (who was openly flirting with Flash, and due to her accent, kept calling him "Flesh"), and Sonya, who was a traitor and spy. In one amusing scene, Sonya tries to get Flash over to her side, he laughs in her face and walks out of her detention cell. Flash warns the guard, "Be careful with her-- she'll try to trick you." "Thank you sir, she's already tried." This Flash was ALSO smarter than the one in the comics. He wouldn't play Dale's game, but instead just smiled at her when she started to get angry. Later, Dale & Sonya wound up in a catfight!

I love that film...! DAMNED good for a sequel.

...Has anyone ever read the period of the Flash Gordon daily strip - Specifically , the daily strip , not the Sunday . - from about the Ike/JFK era , the period when Dan Barry drew it , to uncredited scripts by " real " SF writer Harry Harrison ?

( Note: I may have said this here before . I'm , mildly , sorry if I did . )

In recent times , COMICS REVUE has reprinted this period of the strip .

I've read later sequences, but not one, I think, from that early. Harry Harrison worked in comics as an artist early in his career.

Wikipedia has a list of Flash Gordon storylines here.

Wow.

• S001 - "On the Planet Mongo" (1/7/34 to 4/8/34)
  • S002 - "Monsters of Mongo" (4/15/34 to 11/18/34)
  • S003 - "Tournaments of Mongo" (11/25/34 to 2/24/35)

The first 3 did turn up, almost intact, in the 1936 serial. They left a lot out. Also, the original "Tournament Of Death" really lived up to its name. 1,000 men entered; 999 would DIE, and the winner would be awarded freedom, a kingdom, and a bride of his choice. I have no doubt it was a combination the Hayes Office and thge budget that cut down the Tournament in the serial. Otherwise, it would have been a BLOODBATH, and probably blown the entire budget for the film (and it was already the biggest-budgeted serial ever made). A shame, it might have made a GREAT way to end the serial.  Instead, the last 5 chapters was all new material, it kinda lost its momentum, and they tacked on a "faked" death for Ming to give it some kind of conclusion.

Tragically, the studo suffered a hostile takeover in late 1936-early 1937, and the new management decided to stop making horror movies (the studio's specialty). Also, judging by FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS, they didn't really know what they were doing in other types of films, either.

• S004 - "The Caverns of Mongo" (3/3/35 to 4/14/35)
  • S005 - "Witch Queen of Mongo" (4/21/35 to 10/13/35

I suppose one might say elements from these 2 stories found their way into the 1938 serial-- just barely-- but a lot of the impact was deadened when someone decided to move the acttion from Mongo to Mars (perhaps inspired by the Orson Welles radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds"). Also, the serial was toned down more for "family" audiences (so out went nearly every plot point being driven by sex or lust). Also, the "plot", such as it was, was a lot more "circular" and repetitive than the other 2 serials were. In other words, while ...TRIP TO MARS may still be looked on as one of the better serials ever made, compared to the other 2, it's a serious disappointment, and much more like a "normal, average" serial.

S008 - "Forest Kingdom of Mongo" (10/18/36 to 1/31/37)

S012 - "The Tyrant of Mongo" (6/5/38 to 3/5/39)

S013 - "Ice Kingdom of Mongo" (3/12/39 to 4/7/40)

The new management was themselves booted out, and a 3rd regime took over Universal in 1939.  I think some elements of these stories-- just barely-- made their way into FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE, but for the most part, the serial was an entirely new storyline. It also proved to be, in my opinion,the best-written, best-STRUCTURED, and in some cases, best-acted.  Buster Crabbe, Frank Shannon & Charles Middleton may be at their best-ever here. Carol Hughes strikes me as a much better actress (and prettier) than Jean Rogers. On the other hand, the replacement of both Richard Alexander (Barin) and Pamela Lawson (Aura) was a major loss. Both Barin & Aura come across as just too "Hollywood" in this one (Aura as a BLONDE just seems so wrong!), and one of Barin's sidekicks winds up getting more screen time than he does. The crazy thing is, after the way they went to such lengths to "kill" Ming in ...TRIP TO MARS, and then offer no explanation for his return in ...UNIVERSE (indeed, the 3rd film feels like a sequel to a film that was never made-- just like SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, by the same production team), the climax of the last chapter actually suggests there IS a way for Ming to escape the tower trap -- "...but he will not have time to think of it!" So they deliberately left it open for another sequel... which never got made.

This may not be the right place to post this, but I thought it more appropriate than starting a new thread.

Is it just my imagination, or has Flash Gordon been covertly teaming up with Prince Valiant for the last few months?

I refer to the mysterious, amnesiac blonde stranger who'se striking attire looked like it came from a Mongo inspired tailor. This person was helping Prince Valiant fight a golem within that comic strip, and then suddenly vanished in "a flash" just as he suddenly remembered who he is (the March 18th installment).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service