Flash had its season premiere last night! Spoilers are to be expected in this thread, but I'll put in a picture of Flash traveling through time to give people a chance to turn back. 

OK, everyone up to speed? Good.

I have mixed feelings about this season premiere. The good: Flashpoint was over and done with quickly. We got a glimpse of the universe -- which was honestly a pretty good status quo for everyone but Joe, up until Wally died (even Caitlyn, who wasn't living up to her genius potential, seemed happy) -- but Barry feels so much guilt for the way things turned out that he asks Reverse Flash to go back in time to kill his mother again. On an emotional level, I just don't buy it. She's his mother, and the Flashpoint world was pretty good. I'm not sure the stakes were dire enough for him to allow her to be killed again. The world wasn't ending -- he was just going to lose his memories of the original reality. Going back on that seems to pile a selfish choice on top of his original selfish choice to save his mom. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if at some later point his mom steps out of time and becomes one of his greatest villains, just because she's tired of her moment of greatest pain being used as some cosmic pivot point for reality. 

But on the plus side, this happened in just one episode, and now the rest of the season (and whatever wrinkles to old relationships it brings) can begin. I can't wait to see what Welles is like *this* season! 

On the minus side, everything Barry said or did was creepy, from his pursuit of Iris to his weird goodbye to his parents. I wish the writers had found a way for him to say goodbye in a way that was meaningful for him, but didn't leave them thinking he was about to jump off a bridge. 

Another minus -- Henry's still dead when Flashpoint ends -- though that's mitigated by Shipp playing Jay Garrick from now on.

Third minus: Once again, we have a speed villain -- and one who's "terrorizing Central City to prove that he's the fastest." That's the flimsiest motivation I've ever heard. Hasn't the guy ever heard of the Boston Marathon?

Plus: Next week is Dr. Alchemy -- an old favorite from the comics, and someone who's NOT a speedster! I'm very happy about that. 

Line of the night? Hands down, it's gotta be: "Am I kidnapped?" "That's undecided."

What'd you guys think?

Views: 1338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No chatter about The Big Reveal of who Savitar is?

My reaction? *yawn*

This week's episode was better. Wally raises a reasonable question: How can we ever stop Savitar if he remembers everything Barry does? So Cisco comes up with a wonderfully dopey idea: We'll stop Barry from making memories! Barry says "Let's do it," without anybody in the room asking the reasonable question, "What if it goes wrong?"

It goes wrong. Barry gets amnesia.

Barry also is a lot more fun! So much fun, Iris doesn't particularly want to change him back. I didn't, either. This whole season has been too grim and dour, and I appreciated the lightheartedness in this episode. I hope they can give us more of that.

Not really a surprise at this point.

I don't think that the reveal fits with Killer Frost's immediate trust of Savitar. Seeing Barry's face should have caused her to attack.

I stopped reading this discussion during the speculation concerning Savitar's identity. After it was revealed, no one posted anything until today. (Haven't seen anything about Supergirl or Gotham, either.) Regarding this week's episode, if Cisco's experiment truly trashed Barry's short-term memory, the rest of team-Flash would have to reintroduce themselves to him every single day. Tracy pointed out that obviously that's not what happened; it simply gave him amnesia. Okay, since the experiment obviously didn't work as intended, I can live with that.

My brief review of "Infantino Street:"

Meta-jokes about the show’s effects budget notwithstanding, it is great to see Gustin and Miller together again as the Flash and Captain Cold. I hope they find a reboot card that will bring Cold back into the fold, because the two work so very well together as arch-frenemies.

If not, he gets a good farewell.

HOWEVER:

Even for a Silver Agesque comic book show, the plot is idiotic. Indeed it is an Idiot Plot, in the sense that everyone, however brilliant, must act like an idiot for events to unfold. HR has to blab information that even Barry isn’t supposed to know, never mind the wrong Barry pulling off a deception (with the obvious caveat that, using the holographic tech, they may have switched Iris and this is all part of an elaborate plot). Argus’s vaunted security involves a couple of tough hurdles, and then nothing at all. But that’s okay, because Argus decides to hand over the most dangerous and useful device in the world to a team of vigilantes to save one person’s life. No, really: they have a device which can either solve the energy problem or destroy the world, but they’re just going to hand it over to save Iris’s life. Then Barry, who has worried for months he isn’t fast enough to save Iris, stands around like a slack-jawed inbred while his adopted sister/fiancée is in Savitar’s clutches, running to stop the killing only at the last possible moment.

But none of this has to happen, because Argus has the technology, apparently, to dampen all metahuman powers and, specifically, Barry’s. Maybe they should be borrowing that technology instead, and using it on Savitar?

You're not wrong. My wife and I both screamed at the TV when HR told "Flash" that Iris was safe on Earth-2, even before the reveal that it was Savitar.

For somebody (or somebodies) who are supposedly faster than light, Team Flash is pretty slow on the uptake.

My first thought -- after I screamed at the TV when H.R. told "Flash" that Iris was safe on Earth-2 -- was: Why didn't they move Iris as soon as they knew Savitar was coming? Why stand there at the portal and wait for him to show up? Send her to Earth-3, back to Earth-1, anywhere?

It's a part of the time-travel dilemma. If you can and will travel in time, and if past interference doesn't just create an alternate timeline, separate of yours, what can't you do? Savitar isn't too far wrong in considering himself a god.

Personally, I was hoping they'd hide her in the future, whence the original comic-book Iris came.

ClarkKent_DC said:

For somebody (or somebodies) who are supposedly faster than light, Team Flash is pretty slow on the uptake.

My first thought -- after I screamed at the TV when H.R. told "Flash" that Iris was safe on Earth-2 -- was: Why didn't they move Iris as soon as they knew Savitar was coming? Why stand there at the portal and wait for him to show up? Send her to Earth-3, back to Earth-1, anywhere?

I agree, they made a big deal out of how Savitar tricked them, but even telling Barry where Iris was would have revealed it to Savitar--which they'd just shown us. Barry wouldn't have asked, but they should have known not to say anything to anyone.

And once she got to Earth-2, they should have gone somewhere else, eliminating the people who knew on Earth-1 to start with. And keep going. Even if they couldn't 'port, why not take off instead of standing at the front door?

The Flashes spend a lot of time standing around staring when they could accomplish almost anything in an eyeblink. I'm really tired of hearing Barry say, "Please, I'm begging you, don't do this," as if that isn't exactly what the villain wants to hear before he does what he's going to do.

Then we have the problem that they can 'port to Earth-Krypton pretty easily. They tried everything including breaking the law and ticking off ARGUS. At that point, I might've called on Supergirl at least, if not borrowing Superman, too.

The time travel at some point becomes pretty confusing. How did Flash know that Snart at some point was in that time period? Why that one versus the dozens of others in other time periods?

Joe should have made Iris keep the ring. Geez, she was ticked off when Barry proposed solely (more or less) to get a ring onto her finger, and then she helps fit the death timeline by taking it off.

As to ARGUS, did Barry think they wouldn't figure out who stole their energy source when it was missing and come after him and arrest/imprison him? 

I have to agree that Lyla had no more reason to trust Barry just because he sacrificed everything to save Snart. I'd say that still shows his judgment is off. Would he trade the Dominator tech for Iris' life to Savitar? I'd have to say yes.

Supergirl did the same dumb thing. She refused to stop an alien invasion that was killing people left and right because her boyfriend and BFF were in danger. How many people died while Kara tried to save them? 

What is wrong with these people? Besides needing to be dumb to make the plot work. This is the second week in a row where the bulk of the episode was devoted to stalling. I kind of enjoyed the stalls, but as part of their Master Plan, they were pretty goofy.

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

And once she got to Earth-2, they should have gone somewhere else, eliminating the people who knew on Earth-1 to start with. And keep going. Even if they couldn't 'port, why not take off instead of standing at the front door?

photo target.gifRight! Why just sit around? Instead ...

Mr. Silver Age said:

Then we have the problem that they can 'port to Earth-Krypton pretty easily. They tried everything including breaking the law and ticking off ARGUS. At that point, I might've called on Supergirl at least, if not borrowing Superman, too.

Right again! Send Iris to Earth-Supergirl and plop her in the DEO bunker with Kara, Jo'nn and Mon-El -- and Superman, too!  superman photo supes.gif

JD DeLuzio said:

Personally, I was hoping they'd hide her in the future, whence the original comic-book Iris came.

I like the way you think.  photo thumbup.gif

Mr. Silver Age said:

What is wrong with these people? Besides needing to be dumb to make the plot work. This is the second week in a row where the bulk of the episode was devoted to stalling. I kind of enjoyed the stalls, but as part of their Master Plan, they were pretty goofy.

As we used to say around here all the time ... writer's fiat photo wfiat.gif

Here's the other problem with Savitar: HG had no choice but to tell Savitar where Iris was, because Savitar *knew* he'd do that from having been past Barry when it happened.

I don't remember if Barry actually knew where Iris had been or if he just knew Savitar got to her. If HG told him where she'd hidden, then Savitar didn't even need to ask HG, because he already knew HG had told Savitar when he was past Barry.

Which makes me wonder: Being future Barry, why didn't he know before the moment it happened in his past, that Barry was going to get the Dominator technology? He knew everything Barry was going to say verbatim at one point but didn't get these "flashes" of what past Barry knew or did until he did them in the present, which was Savitar's past.

Flash needs to 1.) Find a good season villain besides yet another speedster (especially since Savitar is about one ski from jumping the shark), maybe a Rogues team-up of a half-dozen and 2.) stop time-travelling. It's even getting to be too much for me, and I grew up on this weirdness!

-- MSA 

Also, find the fun. Remember when this show was light and fun? Nowadays, the only ones smiling are Amnesiac Barry and Snart.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service