Flash had its season premiere last night! Spoilers are to be expected in this thread, but I'll put in a picture of Flash traveling through time to give people a chance to turn back. 

OK, everyone up to speed? Good.

I have mixed feelings about this season premiere. The good: Flashpoint was over and done with quickly. We got a glimpse of the universe -- which was honestly a pretty good status quo for everyone but Joe, up until Wally died (even Caitlyn, who wasn't living up to her genius potential, seemed happy) -- but Barry feels so much guilt for the way things turned out that he asks Reverse Flash to go back in time to kill his mother again. On an emotional level, I just don't buy it. She's his mother, and the Flashpoint world was pretty good. I'm not sure the stakes were dire enough for him to allow her to be killed again. The world wasn't ending -- he was just going to lose his memories of the original reality. Going back on that seems to pile a selfish choice on top of his original selfish choice to save his mom. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if at some later point his mom steps out of time and becomes one of his greatest villains, just because she's tired of her moment of greatest pain being used as some cosmic pivot point for reality. 

But on the plus side, this happened in just one episode, and now the rest of the season (and whatever wrinkles to old relationships it brings) can begin. I can't wait to see what Welles is like *this* season! 

On the minus side, everything Barry said or did was creepy, from his pursuit of Iris to his weird goodbye to his parents. I wish the writers had found a way for him to say goodbye in a way that was meaningful for him, but didn't leave them thinking he was about to jump off a bridge. 

Another minus -- Henry's still dead when Flashpoint ends -- though that's mitigated by Shipp playing Jay Garrick from now on.

Third minus: Once again, we have a speed villain -- and one who's "terrorizing Central City to prove that he's the fastest." That's the flimsiest motivation I've ever heard. Hasn't the guy ever heard of the Boston Marathon?

Plus: Next week is Dr. Alchemy -- an old favorite from the comics, and someone who's NOT a speedster! I'm very happy about that. 

Line of the night? Hands down, it's gotta be: "Am I kidnapped?" "That's undecided."

What'd you guys think?

Views: 1323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought that all things considered, this was a pretty fun episode. Barry recruiting Snart with a line from Taken ("Great movie."), the fin in the fog, the transmogrifier, Joe & Iris's reminiscing, HR's hiding Flash's identity ... all fun stuff. The stakes were high, and the end was a downer, but the episode itself had plenty of fun parts to it. (And I don't think Iris is gone, by a long shot.)

I’m glad you’re finding more fun in The Flash these days than I am, Rob. 

It’s still one of my favorite shows.  But I remember thinking in Season One that Flash was a nice upbeat, sunny, optimistic take on superheroes, compared to downbeat, violent, pessimistic Arrow.  I like both, but I enjoyed that the Berlanti-verse could handle a range of tones, playing Happy Barry off against his buddy Gloomy Gus Ollie.  Nowadays, those two could compare backaches from carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders.

I blame Supergirl.  Apparently, there’s only so much “happy” available in the Berlanti-verse and she called dibs last year.  (And now even she’s just about burned through it all.)

Oh, I'm definitely frustrated that Barry's been so glum & worried, Doc. But with the supporting cast & the superpowered ridiculusness, there's still tons more fun to be found here than Arrow. 

But I'll be happy for the show to take a lighter touch in the future, as well. Barry should take his job seriously, but desperation doesn't suit him. (Snart can see that, and I'm hoping that's a clue that the writers do, too.)

Boy, they just  can't stick the landing, can they?

Up to the last 5 minutes, it was going so well...

I liked the HR/Iris switch. It was well set up, but at the same time, it wasn't overly telegraphed. People figured it out, but it was still clever, and fit all the characters. Including Iris, who didn't agree to the plan, but didn't have time to switch back.

I thought the Savitar stuff was fine, too -- and Barry even tried a bit of a "hug it out"/let-me-help-you solution, which bodes well for sunnier days for him. (Though I didn't like Savitar's "Kill me, and you become me!" line. That was all right there in the action; we don't need every bit of subtext spelled out.)

But the Speed Force! I've got no problem with Barry sacrificing himself by going into the speed force. I have a massive problem with Barry sacrificing himself by WALKING into the speed force. I know there are budgetary constraints, but that should have been an action scene, with Barry, Wally and Jay racing to save the city, and them realizing that only one thing could stop it -- and Barry not hesitating to go in and do the job, not knowing if he'd ever be freed. Maybe one last goodbye with Iris and Joe, as he pulls them along in his wake and drops them at the edge before he makes a final leap. 

The result would be the same...next season would start in the same place. But anything even mildly dynamic would be better than the "Scarecrow, I'll Miss You Most of All!" scene we got at the end of this episode, all while Barry's mom reminds him that time's a-wasting.

Sad, pathetic fanboy that I am, when Cisco explained that he’d gimmicked the Speed Bazooka to frustrate Savitar’s Plan B, I sort of smirked to myself and thought “sounds like he reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.”

Apparently not, because later they actually, literally “went there.”

photo bowdown.gif   photo bowdown.gif   photo bowdown.gif

Yeah, that was fun! 

And how could Savitar even consider that Cisco wouldn't try to double-cross him? I guess he thought Caityn was watching.

I loved the resolution of the dead Iris plot. It wasn't a cheat and I can't imagine how anyone would have guessed it was coming.

After all of the misery this season, I would have preferred they let everyone be happy in the last episode. Do they really think that Flash fans will stop watching if they don't have a cliffhanger? The cliffhanger is such a cliche' that I'm always surprised when a TV drama doesn't do it.

We laughed aloud. "Technobabble!' I managed to say. "Cisco watches 'Star Trek'!" My wife shouted.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Sad, pathetic fanboy that I am, when Cisco explained that he’d gimmicked the Speed Bazooka to frustrate Savitar’s Plan B, I sort of smirked to myself and thought “sounds like he reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.”

Apparently not, because later they actually, literally “went there.”

photo bowdown.gif   photo bowdown.gif   photo bowdown.gif

Sad to say, my greatest emotion is that I'm glad it's over. I was really tired of the all-powerful villain being unstoppable until he's stopped, the number of times we nearly killed someone but then realized that wasn't the answer, and the amount of time everyone stood around when there were three of them so fast Barry could deliver all those announcements in 2 seconds.

I'm glad Cisco double-crossed Savitar because there's been way too much of people doing whatever the bad guy says so they can take over the world and kill everyone in order to save the one person they love. It happens way too much on all these shows.

Like the Doc, I thought Cisco's explanation was an homage to reversing polarity until he actually pulled it out later. There's only so many times you can reverse polarity and expect it to work, but I appreciate the absolute lack of effort put into creating a plausible explanation.

Richard, I figured out the resolution and HR was my top candidate. I said as much in a FB discussion last week when someone mentioned it. They re-introduced the transmogrifier and its ability to change a guy to look like a woman just in time while hiding it in a side story. Without that, it would've been a cheat.

Sadly, HR made too much sense because they'd been riding him for being useless and because he'd become so happy. I am glad to see Harry come back, I think the Welles are a unique aspect to the show.

I agree with Rob that the cliffhanger was unnecessary and badly handled. Jay just stands there watching Barry sacrifice his life, after a long, drawn-out goodbye, and nobody even says "We'll get you back, Barry!" Because, let's face it, they're going to. I just hope they do it without the several episodes of him in the SF like we got of him in Flashpoint to lead off last season.

I understand they do the larger Boss arcs to avoid the standalone Freak of the Week episodes, but those can be a lot of fun (especially when the Boss is overwhelmingly powerful and just keeps escaping because nobody thought up a way to stop him except leading with their chins).

They definitely need something besides a rogue speedster, the Speed Force or (shudder) a time-traveler. Rogues' Gallery is my choice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

See you in the fall!

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

Richard, I figured out the resolution and HR was my top candidate. I said as much in a FB discussion last week when someone mentioned it. They re-introduced the transmogrifier and its ability to change a guy to look like a woman just in time while hiding it in a side story. Without that, it would've been a cheat.

I must have zoned out. I don't remember the earlier transmogrifier appearance.

Sadly, HR made too much sense because they'd been riding him for being useless and because he'd become so happy. I am glad to see Harry come back, I think the Welles are a unique aspect to the show.

I enjoy the various Welles incarnations. It has to be a lot of fun for Tom Cavanagh to play the different personalities.

They definitely need something besides a rogue speedster, the Speed Force or (shudder) a time-traveler. Rogues' Gallery is my choice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Maybe they can mix it up. They can still have a Big Bad but three episodes would be enough. If the character is popular enough he/she can always come back. The rest of the time I'd be happy with one-and-two episode bad guys or other challenges. If they try another speedster or time-traveler I'm afraid they'll lose a lot of viewers.

The most recent transmogrifier appearance was when Barry impersonated Lyla at Argus. Prior to that, HR used it to fake his face for the world, so that the public didn't think he was Welles, whom they knew to be dead.

Mr. Silver Age said:

Sad to say, my greatest emotion is that I'm glad it's over. I was really tired of the all-powerful villain being unstoppable until he's stopped, the number of times we nearly killed someone but then realized that wasn't the answer, and the amount of time everyone stood around when there were three of them so fast Barry could deliver all those announcements in 2 seconds.

Or, the all-powerful villain with a suit Barry, apparently, could've just vibrated into at any time, before kicking said villain's butt?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service