Flash had its season premiere last night! Spoilers are to be expected in this thread, but I'll put in a picture of Flash traveling through time to give people a chance to turn back. 

OK, everyone up to speed? Good.

I have mixed feelings about this season premiere. The good: Flashpoint was over and done with quickly. We got a glimpse of the universe -- which was honestly a pretty good status quo for everyone but Joe, up until Wally died (even Caitlyn, who wasn't living up to her genius potential, seemed happy) -- but Barry feels so much guilt for the way things turned out that he asks Reverse Flash to go back in time to kill his mother again. On an emotional level, I just don't buy it. She's his mother, and the Flashpoint world was pretty good. I'm not sure the stakes were dire enough for him to allow her to be killed again. The world wasn't ending -- he was just going to lose his memories of the original reality. Going back on that seems to pile a selfish choice on top of his original selfish choice to save his mom. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if at some later point his mom steps out of time and becomes one of his greatest villains, just because she's tired of her moment of greatest pain being used as some cosmic pivot point for reality. 

But on the plus side, this happened in just one episode, and now the rest of the season (and whatever wrinkles to old relationships it brings) can begin. I can't wait to see what Welles is like *this* season! 

On the minus side, everything Barry said or did was creepy, from his pursuit of Iris to his weird goodbye to his parents. I wish the writers had found a way for him to say goodbye in a way that was meaningful for him, but didn't leave them thinking he was about to jump off a bridge. 

Another minus -- Henry's still dead when Flashpoint ends -- though that's mitigated by Shipp playing Jay Garrick from now on.

Third minus: Once again, we have a speed villain -- and one who's "terrorizing Central City to prove that he's the fastest." That's the flimsiest motivation I've ever heard. Hasn't the guy ever heard of the Boston Marathon?

Plus: Next week is Dr. Alchemy -- an old favorite from the comics, and someone who's NOT a speedster! I'm very happy about that. 

Line of the night? Hands down, it's gotta be: "Am I kidnapped?" "That's undecided."

What'd you guys think?

Views: 1338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hadn’t really considered him to be anyone other than who he’s purported to be, so I’ll have to give it some thought. I took Savitar referring to him as “the fake Wells” only to mean that he wasn’t the Wells from that universe. On another note, I think tom Cavanaugh has a pretty sweet job as an actor. He’s got job security, yet so far he has gotten to play a different character every season. I liked his first season persona the best, despite the fact that he ended up being a traitor in the end. His subsequent two have just been annoying.

After watching the four-part crossover, Tracy ad I have decided to drop DC Legends from our list. We’ll watch tonight’s episode (the last before the mid-season hiatus, I believe), but we won’t be back. Our three superhero shows will be Gotham, Supergirl and Flash, the three we enjoy the most.

Kathy doesn't watch Legends with me, and she dropped Arrow last season, too, as the shirtless-Ollie instances dropped off. (A glaring strategic error on the CW's part, IMO.) But she stuck around for all of the crossover, and had fun with it.

Abra Kadabra? That's intriguing. I didn't connect the drum stick to AK's wand, though it's odd that he never puts it down. I'm OK with it as long as he doesn't turn Barry into a puppet.

Not me -- I think we have to at least nod to the puppet moment in any Abra Kadabra story. In for a penny, in for a puppet!

Okay, we're past the Heroes Versus Aliens: 2016 DCTV Crossover, and, as noted in the thread, Iris was unfairly clamping down on Wally for using his speed. And they're still at it in this episode. I get Joe doing it -- he's wrong, but I get it -- but I still think Iris shouldn't. I hope Joe listens to Harrison Wells, because he was right: Stifling somebody will just make him go somewhere else.

Fortunately, Cisco isn't whining about Barry killing Dante any more, since he's learned that not every timeline change is Barry's fault.

But the glimpse of the future -- YIKES! 

Joe, Wally and Iris have given in on Wally -- they gave him a Kid Flash suit for Christmas.

Wells as Abra Kadabra? That would be interesting -- and give Cavanagh even more job security, since they'd have to bring in another Wells! (I vote for the HARE-rison Wells from Earth-C!)

I do think it's troubling that we have yet another speedster villain. But I do like how so much of the odd things that bothered me in the beginning (especially Barry and Iris being quasi-step-siblings) seems to have been smoothed out.

As for Julian, it's been revealed that his full name is Julian Albert Desmond -- so, yeah, they're doing a callback to the comics with his name. Also his split personality, since that dogged the comics Alchemy as well.

On Tuesday, January 24, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow both return with new episodes.

Legends will follow The Flash on Tuesday, moving from Thursday.

Thanks Richard!

Wells as Abra Kadabra? That would be interesting -- and give Cavanagh even more job security, since they'd have to bring in another Wells! (I vote for the HARE-rison Wells from Earth-C!)

I'd prefer Harrison WHALES, with all of Team Flash doing their Dory whale-voices to communicate with him.

HAHAHA! They'd have to get Scotty to build a huge whale tank at S.T.A.R. Labs.

"There be whales here, Captain!"

I have a love/hate relationship with this theory. On the one hand, I would love Wells to turn out to be Abracadabra. The series desperately needs interesting, non-speedster, villains that pose a real threat. On the other hand, this Wells is actually likeable. I genuinely felt bad when he was forced to write "science museum closes" during the time travel sequence (I liked that Cisco attempted to change Well's future by upping attendance at the museum during the final few minutes of the show). In short, this Wells seems like the team's Charlie Brown; and, who doesn't like Charlie Brown? 

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think I mentioned it in the crossover thread, but ever since it crossed my mind, evidence has been building up: Is the new Wells (HR) actually Abra Kadabra?

1) He doesn't have the scientific acumen of the other Wellses we've seen.

2) We know *something* is up with him, as he's taking notes on everybody, and perhaps about other realities as well.

3) He used a device that looks like a sciencey "wand" to change his face.

4) He's always carrying a single drumstick around, also wand-like.

5) Savitar just called him "the Fake Wells."

5) Also in the mid-season finale, Joe said to him, "It's like you have some sort of compulsion to be liked by everybody."

So yeah, I think he's Abra Kadabra. Any other thoughts/theories/evidence pro or con?

I was pretty excited by last night's episode, with the future headlines. Evidently we're going to get a gorilla invasion, and who doesn't enjoy a good gorilla invasion? I don't really care if Wells is Abra Kadabra or not; I think he'll be replaced next season by another Wells either way, because this show refuses to land on a status quo and stay there.

And I love Kid Flash! A black kid who's not a cliche -- how about that!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service