BARRY’S BIG BAD IS BREAKING NEWS!

CHRIS KLEIN ANNOUNCED AS DC SUPER-VILLAIN CICADA FOR THE FLASH SEASON FIVE

BURBANK, Calif. (July 21, 2018) — After outthinking The Thinker, you’d hope that Barry Allen aka The Flash (Grant Gustin) might have some down time to contemplate his future with his new wife, Iris (Candice Patton). But with their speedster daughter from the future, Nora (new series regular Jessica Parker Kennedy), already grown and a part of their lives, they’ve now got to face Central City’s newest menace — the DC Super-Villain Cicada! Season five pits Team Flash against yet another formidable adversary, the show’s second non-speedster Big Bad, it was revealed by cast and producers at the show’s 2018 Comic-Con panel on Saturday, July 21.

Chris Klein (Election, Oz, American Pie) has signed on as series regular to play next season’s scourge of Central City, Cicada. A grizzled, blue-collar everyman whose family has been torn apart by metahumans, Cicada now seeks to exterminate the epidemic — one metahuman at a time.

The Flash returns for season five on Tuesday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Todd Helbing, Sarah Schechter and Eric Wallace. The Flash is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Cicada

Chris Klein

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, man, I was thrilled to see Kyle Secor as Caitlin's dad/the Icicle. He's been a favorite ever since Homicide: Life on the Street, and it was great to see him in action again!

Never mind Joe 's absence this series - what's going on with Cisco?

His injuries curtailing his abilities are bad enough but he's kind of the last person in every scene to get a line these days !

Please give us less Sherloque antics and more Vibe !

We need a scene of Icicle vs. Jay Garrick. Need, need, need.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“Iris jumps off the roof!”

FLASHFACT: Barry and Iris would have been falling at the same rate of descent; she shouldn’t have been able to “catch up.”

TV line asked The Flash showrunner Todd Helbing about that, and he said:

“We like to call it ‘schmience,'” he answered. “I mean, look, none of it makes sense, right? There are no laws of time travel that exist. I read an article that a physicist had written, about how if Barry zoops and catches somebody, then skids to a stop, their neck would break. So yeah, you just have to accept [things].”

The Flash EP then reminded, “In the pilot, there’s a reason why it starts out, ‘I need you to believe in something impossible.’ It’s like, ‘I need you accept that this could exist and go with it.’ That’s what that line was about.”

Our hosts for Thanksgiving are fans of the Starz Network’s Black Sails, and we watched part of an episode this past weekend. I was surprised to see Jessica Parker-Kennedy in a role quite different from Nora West-Allen. Truthfully, I didn’t even recognize her at first; Tracy pointed out to me who she was. We see quite a bit more of her in Black Sails than we do in Flash, if you take me meaning. The actress is 34 years old, but she plays a teenager very convincingly. Schway.

I enjoyed this week’s episode more than any in recent memory. It was continuity-heavy (which I like), and reminded me a bit (in execution) of the Deep Space Nine “Tribble” episode and that one Matt Smith season of Doctor Who.

My favorite season of the show is the first, largely due to Tom Cavanagh’s portrayal of Harrison Wells. Yes, that character was a hoax, but none of the successive iterations of Wells has been as “true” as when Eobard Thawne was pretending to be Wells. I’ve said before how fun it must be for Cavanagh to essentially play a different character each season, but each version of Wells is less interesting to me, this latest “Sherloque” or whatever being the worst.

This week’s episode was great, though.

Well, that "clever girl" line got me thinking ...

I absolutely agree, Jeff. The first faux Wells was the best. 

...and his guesses for who Nora might be: Jesse Chambers? Libby Lawrence? And then there was another, who's name I'll have to go back and check

But Jesse, or course was the original Jesse Quick. Libby was her mom, but was also Liberty Belle...whose identity Jesse already took. 

And, of course, Thawne also thought Nora was named Dawn, and said "at least you still have one." So there's a reference to the Tornado Twins!  

But yeah... this was a terrific episode.

"VelocIraptor" would be a good name for a villainous speedster.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Well, that "clever girl" line got me thinking ...

My jaw kept dropping throughout this episode, which was awesome.

I loved re-visiting earlier events in the series, often with original footage. (Which clashed occasionally with new footage set in the past, where the actors -- especially Tom Cavanaugh -- had visibly aged.)

But, of course, what set off my Comics Sense(tm) was all the name dropping.

Thawne guessed that Nora was named "Dawn." That's a reference to Dawn Allen, half of the Tornado Twins (the other being "Don"), the children of Barry and Iris in pre-Crisis comics. (And maybe later. I don't think they're still in continuity, but they might be.) In the TV continuity, Nora West-Allen takes Dawn's place. But Thawne knows about her, so it got me to thinking ...

Then, when that was wrong, he rattled off three more names, Jesse Chambers, Libby Lawrence  and Danica Williams.These are all pretty interesting. Jesse Chambers is Jesse Quick, the daughter of Johnny "Johnny Quick" Chambers and Libby "Liberty Belle" Lawrence. Prior to "Crisis" she was an Earth-Two character, which is what the TV show's Jesse Quick is, whose real name is Jesse Chambers Wells. That's close enough. But LIbby Lawrence was a puzzler, as I don't recall Libby Lawrence having super-speed (did she?). And the last is The Flash of Justice League Beyond (from Batman Beyond).

Since two of those are like Dawn in that they don't exist in the TV continuity ... I wondered if Nora's presence (and obvious effects on the timeline) is going to change the timeline to eliminate herself, and bring in Don and Dawn, or maybe Danica Williams (although she got established when Barry Allen was dead, and Wally West was The Flash).

Just a thought.

I can't add to your comments. I greatly enjoyed the episode. I hope Nora doesn't get erased as I like her better each time I see her.

I do get the impression that there is more to Sherloque than meets the eye, possibly something sinister.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service