BARRY’S BIG BAD IS BREAKING NEWS!

CHRIS KLEIN ANNOUNCED AS DC SUPER-VILLAIN CICADA FOR THE FLASH SEASON FIVE

BURBANK, Calif. (July 21, 2018) — After outthinking The Thinker, you’d hope that Barry Allen aka The Flash (Grant Gustin) might have some down time to contemplate his future with his new wife, Iris (Candice Patton). But with their speedster daughter from the future, Nora (new series regular Jessica Parker Kennedy), already grown and a part of their lives, they’ve now got to face Central City’s newest menace — the DC Super-Villain Cicada! Season five pits Team Flash against yet another formidable adversary, the show’s second non-speedster Big Bad, it was revealed by cast and producers at the show’s 2018 Comic-Con panel on Saturday, July 21.

Chris Klein (Election, Oz, American Pie) has signed on as series regular to play next season’s scourge of Central City, Cicada. A grizzled, blue-collar everyman whose family has been torn apart by metahumans, Cicada now seeks to exterminate the epidemic — one metahuman at a time.

The Flash returns for season five on Tuesday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Todd Helbing, Sarah Schechter and Eric Wallace. The Flash is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Cicada

Chris Klein

Views: 1437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, what did you all think of the finale?

(SPOILERS, obviously)

I've got mixed feelings. Overall I think Cicada was a pretty lame villain, and Chris Klein's "villain" voice was awful. And Cisco wanting to get rid of his Vibe powers wasn't well motivated -- the show spent a lot of time hinting at it, but never convincingly. Hopefully Cisco will be around for at least some of next season. 

But there were things I liked. I liked how the Nora storyline wrapped up, with her erased from the timeline. This doesn't mean she'll never exist, but just that she won't exist in quite this way. The door's open for a different version of her to swing by later.

Sherloque had a nice sendoff too, even though they cheaped out on hiring the actress who plays Renee Adler back for a cameo, opting instead to use a special effect of her superpower. (It also dawned on me that Renee Adler is a nod to IRENE Adler, of Sherlock Holmes stories. Sherloque even nods to it by reversing the syllables of her last name several times -- when if he jumbled the syllables in Renee, it might come out sounding like "Irene.") Hopefully we'll see another iteration for Cavanaugh next year...although with a new showrunner coming on, that might be played out. 

Having Joe become Captain was a nice touch, and having Singh tell Barry he knows he's the Flash was a good moment, too. With the new showrunner coming on, I wonder if there'll be a new detective working with Flash more, to change that dynamic up a bit... that might be why Joe was promoted.

But the thing I'm probably most excited about was the name on the casefile Ralph was looking at in the final montage: DEARBON. That's Sue Dibney's maiden name, and I can't wait to meet her!

All in all, a lot of pieces moved around for the new writing team! And I definitely think the show could use a jolt of freshness. I love the Flash, but the show's getting a little creaky. 

I caught the Adler connection early on, but missed the name on Ralph's folder. Even if I read it I wouldn't have understood it, since I wasn't aware of Sue's maiden name. I hope Cavanaugh returns. Maybe a new showrunner will minimize the speedsters. Is Carlos Valdes moving on? Maybe Vibe isn't an important meta now that they have artificial ways to open portals. Cicada did get a little old over a whole season, even though not a speedster.

I' m glad the Cicada arc has run its course.

I thought Nora converted to “villain” too easily, then, once converted, changed back too easily.

I do not get the pronunciation of “Sherloque” business. Never have. It was said twice back to back this episode; sounds te same to me every time I hear it.

My favorite season was season one.

Oh, and I'm intrigued by the "crisis" thing moving to 2019.

I think that IS the joke. Sherloque's been correcting people just to be finicky and annoying.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I do not get the pronunciation of “Sherloque” business. Never have. It was said twice back to back this episode; sounds te same to me every time I hear it.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I do not get the pronunciation of “Sherloque” business. Never have. It was said twice back to back this episode; sounds the same to me every time I hear it.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think that IS the joke. Sherloque's been correcting people just to be finicky and annoying.

They're doing a similar running gag on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Detective Boyle has adopted a Romanian boy named Nikolaj, and every time the boy's name is said, Boyle corrects it. 

I wish The Flash didn't feel compelled to devote each season to dealing with a villain from episode one to the season finale. I much prefer what Chuck would do -- a long story for half the season, and a different one for the other half. Now, in Chuck's case, it was because it was always on the edge of being canceled, but any given show could choose to take that approach.  

I like that idea. Depending upon the villain, they could devote half, more than half or less than half of the season. No need to pad the story.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I wish The Flash didn't feel compelled to devote each season to dealing with a villain from episode one to the season finale. I much prefer what Chuck would do -- a long story for half the season, and a different one for the other half. Now, in Chuck's case, it was because it was always on the edge of being canceled, but any given show could choose to take that approach.  

So, what did you all think of the finale?

(SPOILERS, obviously)

But there were things I liked. I liked how the Nora storyline wrapped up, with her erased from the timeline. This doesn't mean she'll never exist, but just that she won't exist in quite this way. The door's open for a different version of her to swing by later.

I liked the wrapup of Nora's storyline, in that she realized she had to pay the price for her screwups or else go only one way down a dark road. And like you say, having a daughter can still be in Barry's and Iris's future. 

Also, I did like the reveal that Thawne had a trick up his sleeve. They were leading us to believe he was helping Nora out of possibly altruistic motives, and I think he did have some real (fatherly?) affection. But helping Nora solve the mystery of Cicada helped him -- destroying Cicada's dagger would facilitate his escape from prison. 

Having Joe become Captain was a nice touch, and having Singh tell Barry he knows he's the Flash was a good moment, too. With the new showrunner coming on, I wonder if there'll be a new detective working with Flash more, to change that dynamic up a bit... that might be why Joe was promoted.

I wonder if it's also a way to lighten Jesse L. Martin's workload, what with him recovering from that back injury.

I wondered that, too. Captains get chairs!

ClarkKent_DC said:

They're doing a similar running gag on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Detective Boyle has adopted a Romanian boy named Nikolaj, and every time the boy's name is said, Boyle corrects it. 

And now I say it whenever Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's name shows up in the credits for Game of Thrones.

It seems to be that the CW shows have excellent first seasons, very good second seasons, and every season after that is mediocre to bad.

I think I'm four episodes in to this new season, and so far, I'm not impressed. I'm hoping for better once

a) Bloodwork is defeated -- an awful villain in the comic book, made even worse by Sendhil Ramamurthy's overwrought performance (and, to be fair, the garbage he's been handed to perform); and

b) Barry either dies or doesn't in the Crisis, so everyone can stop talking about it. And by talking I mean arguing and brooding and weeping and GAAAAAH!

As of right now, I'd nominate the most recent episode I saw, "There Will Be Blood," to be the worst of the series. Lousy in every conceivable way. Maybe it's the new showrunner, or maybe it's just familiarity breeding contempt, but these characters are really losing their charm. Even RALPH was a drag this episode!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service