BARRY’S BIG BAD IS BREAKING NEWS!

CHRIS KLEIN ANNOUNCED AS DC SUPER-VILLAIN CICADA FOR THE FLASH SEASON FIVE

BURBANK, Calif. (July 21, 2018) — After outthinking The Thinker, you’d hope that Barry Allen aka The Flash (Grant Gustin) might have some down time to contemplate his future with his new wife, Iris (Candice Patton). But with their speedster daughter from the future, Nora (new series regular Jessica Parker Kennedy), already grown and a part of their lives, they’ve now got to face Central City’s newest menace — the DC Super-Villain Cicada! Season five pits Team Flash against yet another formidable adversary, the show’s second non-speedster Big Bad, it was revealed by cast and producers at the show’s 2018 Comic-Con panel on Saturday, July 21.

Chris Klein (Election, Oz, American Pie) has signed on as series regular to play next season’s scourge of Central City, Cicada. A grizzled, blue-collar everyman whose family has been torn apart by metahumans, Cicada now seeks to exterminate the epidemic — one metahuman at a time.

The Flash returns for season five on Tuesday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Todd Helbing, Sarah Schechter and Eric Wallace. The Flash is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Cicada

Chris Klein

Views: 1437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I’ve been less than impressed with this season so far, too.

Every once in a while, a show such as this presents something that is so utterly fantastic that I can no longer willingly suspend my sense of disbelieve. In this week’s episode, I find it difficult to believe that a couple as young and good looking as Cisco and Kamilla aren’t boinking every night.

I'm caught up with Flash. I had four Arrows on the DVR, and watched the first two of the season. Much improved. A lot of Crisis and Monitor stuff, plus an actual alternate Earth destroyed!

The good news is that Bloodwork should be gone by mid-season.  According to the new showrunner, the series is moving away from the seasonal "big bad" formula, and will now start doing multiple arcs per year -- something they should have started doing a long time ago.  Outside of Thawne, I don't think a single one of the main villains has been able to sustain a 23 episode storyline.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think I'm four episodes in to this new season, and so far, I'm not impressed. I'm hoping for better once

a) Bloodwork is defeated -- an awful villain in the comic book, made even worse by Sendhil Ramamurthy's overwrought performance (and, to be fair, the garbage he's been handed to perform); and

I'm a few eps behind, so I don't have a gestalt of the season as a whole. I am looking forward to the team finding out about Earth-2 -- and specifically, learning for sure that Wells and Johnnie Quick are among the casualties. If they are.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think I'm four episodes in to this new season, and so far, I'm not impressed. I'm hoping for better once

a) Bloodwork is defeated -- an awful villain in the comic book, made even worse by Sendhil Ramamurthy's overwrought performance (and, to be fair, the garbage he's been handed to perform); and

b) Barry either dies or doesn't in the Crisis, so everyone can stop talking about it. And by talking I mean arguing and brooding and weeping and GAAAAAH!

As of right now, I'd nominate the most recent episode I saw, "There Will Be Blood," to be the worst of the series. Lousy in every conceivable way. Maybe it's the new showrunner, or maybe it's just familiarity breeding contempt, but these characters are really losing their charm. Even RALPH was a drag this episode!

Although I am enjoying The Flash more than the other Arrowverse shows, I can't disagree much with this assessment. Particularly about Ralph. And I wish they hadn't started name-dropping Sue Dearborn so far ahead of when they'll actually get around to telling that story. 

On the plus side -- and we have to take our pleasures where we find them -- what about Iris's curly hair? Me likey. Let's see it again. 

KSwolf said:

The good news is that Bloodwork should be gone by mid-season.  According to the new showrunner, the series is moving away from the seasonal "big bad" formula, and will now start doing multiple arcs per year -- something they should have started doing a long time ago.  Outside of Thawne, I don't think a single one of the main villains has been able to sustain a 23 episode storyline.

Glory hallelujah, and amen to that! That IS something they should have started doing a long time ago!

KSwolf said:

We had been saying here that they should have multiple arcs each season. I think we said it two(?) years ago. Also, they overdid the speedster villains. Thawne is a good character, but they really overused him. He died how many times?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I’ve been less than impressed with this season so far, too.

Every once in a while, a show such as this presents something that is so utterly fantastic that I can no longer willingly suspend my sense of disbelieve. In this week’s episode, I find it difficult to believe that a couple as young and good looking as Cisco and Kamilla aren’t boinking every night.

Well, last episode indicated that Cisco was a bit afraid to commit to Kamilla because he thought it wasn't quite right to move on from Gypsy ... unaware that she's a public defender in Los Angeles on Earth-CBS (where Misty Knight is a Superior Court judge). 

Finally caught up on Flash, and I'm not as anxious as others to see the Crisis get here so we're done with Barry & Co. anticipating his death. How often on a show like this do you deal with impending, unstoppable death? It's like he has cancer and nothing can be done. I am intrigued by how the different characters are dealing with it.

When the new Wells appeared, my wife said, "Oh no, it's Indiana Wells!" And then Cisco made the same joke! But our elation was short-lived with the episode that was clearly designed to make the no-faith guy learn to accept faith. I'm a no-faith guy, and usually keep it to myself. But faith people have no problem lecturing me at the drop of a hat. Even on TV and in the movies, as in this episode, and I'm a bit sick of it.

Sorry for the personal digression there.

Anyway, we only have three or four more episodes until Crisis.

"I'm a no-faith guy..."

"While religious people believe in a divine deity with no evidence to confirm or deny this, humanists believe in the basic goodness of humanity in the face of a huge amount of evidence to the contrary. In that sense, humanists are the most optimitic, most faithful group of all." - Joss Whedon

"There's right and wrong, and it's not hard to tell the difference." -- Superman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service