BARRY’S BIG BAD IS BREAKING NEWS!

CHRIS KLEIN ANNOUNCED AS DC SUPER-VILLAIN CICADA FOR THE FLASH SEASON FIVE

BURBANK, Calif. (July 21, 2018) — After outthinking The Thinker, you’d hope that Barry Allen aka The Flash (Grant Gustin) might have some down time to contemplate his future with his new wife, Iris (Candice Patton). But with their speedster daughter from the future, Nora (new series regular Jessica Parker Kennedy), already grown and a part of their lives, they’ve now got to face Central City’s newest menace — the DC Super-Villain Cicada! Season five pits Team Flash against yet another formidable adversary, the show’s second non-speedster Big Bad, it was revealed by cast and producers at the show’s 2018 Comic-Con panel on Saturday, July 21.

Chris Klein (Election, Oz, American Pie) has signed on as series regular to play next season’s scourge of Central City, Cicada. A grizzled, blue-collar everyman whose family has been torn apart by metahumans, Cicada now seeks to exterminate the epidemic — one metahuman at a time.

The Flash returns for season five on Tuesday, October 9, at 8/7c on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Todd Helbing, Sarah Schechter and Eric Wallace. The Flash is produced by Bonanza Productions in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

Cicada

Chris Klein

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Given that Nora is a composite character -- combining Dawn Allen of the 22nd century and Jenni Ognats of the 31st century, I think we may have to wait to find out how she knows Lightning Lad, who should be roughly 900 years in her own future.

But the comics give us an answer, too. In one reboot or another -- I want to say New 52, but it could have been the one before -- the comics established Jenni and Bart Allen as the Tornado Twins (eliminating Dawn and Don Allen completely). And in that continuity, she met a time-traveling Lightning Lad. So this might be a direct lift.

I also find it astounding that the CCPD went without a CSI for four months. My first thought was that maybe this is a set-up for Nora to be more involved with her Dad -- possibly his official assistant, or maybe an unofficial one. But honestly, it could have just been a sight gag and I'm overthinking it.

Whatever, Nora is a welcome addition. I liked Kid Flash, but he was underused, and when he was used it was to service melodramatic nonsense. Nora brings a lot of enthusiasm, impulsiveness, awkwardness and other elements that contribute to a breezy, funny, fast-moving show -- which is when "Flash" works best.

Captain Comics said:

I also find it astounding that the CCPD went without a CSI for four months. 

I think it was their tongue-in-cheek way of justifying Barry still having a job.

You called it, Cap! Nora's the new intern.

I'm loving Joe being the fountain of wisdom for everybody. But one odd thing -- he spent this entire episode, and the previous one, sitting down. What's up with that?

That hadn't occurred to me. Maybe he broke a leg or was recovering from recent surgery? (Or recent at the time of filming, that is.)

I've gotta say, "this room has always been here, and I've been sneaking naps in it since season 1" is one of my all-time favorite introductions of a new set.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service