For those of you who are unaware, while Flash Thompson was in Vietnam, he was injured and a Vietnamese family took him in. He stayed until--or likely past--the time he was healed. I'm guessing a minimum seven days.

My question--would that have been enough time to have him listed as MIA? Would there have been communications with his family? Did Flash have any 'splainin' to do?

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Jeff and Randy, for squaring me away on that point.

I have read enough issues of Spider-Man to know that volunteering for the service would be consistent with the kind of personality Thompson was depicted as having.

I know Flash matured a lot between high school and college, as his animosity towards Peter diminished. But he always wanted to be a hero/BMOC. His devotion to Spider-Man despite all of J. Jonah Jameson's rants and editorials and public opinion is certainly admirable. But he also wants to prove to everyone that he can be a hero. Did they ever explore Flash's family life in the Silver Age? Later they said that he had an alcoholic/abusive father which would explain the bullying of Peter. So I can see him volunteering for military service for several reasons beyond patriotism which I do not doubt. But subconsciously, this was perhaps Flash wanting to be taken seriously (he was a comic figure in the Lee/Ditko issues) or a rite of manhood as "Puny" Parker and the others stayed in college or proving himself to his father and/or himself

Best I can recall, Flash didn't have a family until well after the Silver Age. There were a handful of other characters in Peter's life that also didn't appear to have families, like Liz Allan. 

And really, did Harry Osborn have a mother? How about Gwen Stacy? Where were Mary Jane's parents? Betty Brant's (yes, I know about her brother but there's nothing suggesting much of a background).

Philip Portelli said:

Did they ever explore Flash's family life in the Silver Age?

I think Liz had a wealthy father, who bankrolled Spidey's attempted comeback as a performer in Amazing Spider-Man #17. Peter alludes to Flash's having been drafted when they argue in #53. I vaguely remember Betty saying or thinking in one of the Ditko issues that she had to leave school and take her job with JJJ for money reasons, which could imply she and her brother were orphans.

Weird that NONE of them had their actual mothers in their lives since they were all teenagers when they first appeared!

Did any of them have any brothers or sisters besides Betty?

None that I'm aware of in the Silver Age.  It's possible that siblings were invented at a later point in time.

Philip Portelli said:

Did any of them have any brothers or sisters besides Betty?

The Molten Man was later revealed to be Liz's stepbrother, but only in the mid 70s.

Yeah.  I never liked that. Just one of those "neat ideas" that someone came up with.  He was just fine without being related to one of Peter's friends.

Luke Blanchard said:

The Molten Man was later revealed to be Liz's stepbrother, but only in the mid 70s.

Gerry Conway. Conway also had Flash and Pete become roommates for a time. In many ways, Flash became a better friend to Peter during this time than Harry ever was. The exact circumstances under which Flash joined the army (whether he was drafted or enlisted) are unrevealed, but the backstory I concocted is that his college grades were so low that he was in danger of losing his scholorship, so he enlisted in order to achieve on the battlefield the glory that might soon be denied hin on the gridiron.

There is no story evidence to support my theory; it just simply works for me.

Luke Blanchard said:

I think Liz had a wealthy father, who bankrolled Spidey's attempted comeback as a performer in Amazing Spider-Man #17. Peter alludes to Flash's having been drafted when they argue in #53. I vaguely remember Betty saying or thinking in one of the Ditko issues that she had to leave school and take her job with JJJ for money reasons, which could imply she and her brother were orphans.

I think it was significant that when Peter and Flash argued Flash didn't refute that he was drafted. Betty having left school early was, I think, a way of making her seem closer to Peter's age when they were seeing each other.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service