Uh, gang -- mods in particular -- how does this affect us?

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2010/04/15/social-network-platform-nin...

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, bother.

Admittedly, I have not been as active here as I was on site 2.0, but that has nothing to do with the Ning board and everything to do with other commitments. (I'm so far behind on comics-related stuff, I have only read the first half of Blackest Night, and have almost been avoiding the site so it doesn't get spoiled).

Whatever happens, I trust the mods will try to keep our ragtag little band going :)
Mickey McLaurin said:
Oh, bother.

Admittedly, I have not been as active here as I was on site 2.0, but that has nothing to do with the Ning board and everything to do with other commitments. (I'm so far behind on comics-related stuff, I have only read the first half of Blackest Night, and have almost been avoiding the site so it doesn't get spoiled).

Whatever happens, I trust the mods will try to keep our ragtag little band going :)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny the last battlestar, Galactica, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest. A shining planet known as Earth..."
Mark S. Ogilvie said:
Did they plan this do you think? Lure people in with free offers and then start charging?
Mark
No.
The Baron said:
Mickey McLaurin said:
Oh, bother.

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny the last battlestar, Galactica, leads a rag-tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest. A shining planet known as Earth..."
Based on size and facial hair, I'm Lt. Jolly.
hahaha! Sigh...we sure feel ragged!

Cavalier said:
The Baron said:
Mickey McLaurin said:
Oh, bother.

Based on size and facial hair, I'm Lt. Jolly.
For those who want the insider baseball-ish angle on what's happening at Ning, here's this: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/04/ning-fails-at-free-social-ne...

And to our mods, I also found this. I have idea if it might help, but here it is: http://blog.bigtent.com/2010/04/16/looking-for-ning-alternatives-le...
Well, Shazbot.

I know that cost is the big reason we're here on Ning, but if we move to another free service, who's to say something like this won't happen again?
If Ning tries to charge me for using this site, I'll say goodbye. I've just added the Friends of Capt. Comics page to my Facebook groups.
They wouldn't be charging you, the members, for using the site. Ning would be charging the moderators (or probably Rich, to be specific). That's not going to happen, though.

Again, the moderators are looking into options. We will let you know when a decision is made.
Don Collett said:
Well, Shazbot.

I know that cost is the big reason we're here on Ning, but if we move to another free service, who's to say something like this won't happen again?

Nobody, that's who.

But I think a related problem is being able to move your data from one site to another.

The tech experts who run our site know better than I do about the mechanics of this, but at one point along the way, we did move our data from one previous version of the site to another. So far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong, part of the reason maintaining the site was burdensome was that not everything in the coding was compatible. (And, again, I am not in a position to know, so I welcome those who are to speak to this.)

When we later decided to make the move to the Ning site, bringing our data along was simply not an option. I've read something to the effect that Ning may not make it hard to move stuff out of its site if that's what its users choose to do, but we'll see if they mean it.
I think I read something to that effect at wired.com. I hope we can move the data if needed. I'm not in a position to know the difficulties of maintaining a site like this on our own, either, so I will defer to those with the experience. It's not like I have any posts here worth saving, anyway...:D
Hey Mods.

Has there been any update on where this site stands?

Just wondering if any dates for close-off have been mooted or anything?

(Painful subject I know! Sorry)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service