Uh, gang -- mods in particular -- how does this affect us?

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2010/04/15/social-network-platform-nin...

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Take it that no news is good news. We'll speak up when there's something to say. Thanks for your patience, Legionnaires.
Sort of...the announcement came out yesterday and we are about to start discussion on what it means for us... we have been in holding pattern waiting to see what the price plan was going to be. Any places we move the board to next will essentially be a step backwards in terms of blog-discussion integration, which is what moved Cap here (along with the costs and upkeep load).

Cavalier said:
Take it that no news is good news. We'll speak up when there's something to say. Thanks for your patience, Legionnaires.
I see we have over 150 members at this point, so the free service is out...
yep.

Figserello said:
I see we have over 150 members at this point, so the free service is out...

Since the moderators have made it easier to identify who holds that title (see "Who Are the Mysterious Moderators?"), it reminded me of a question or two I've had for a while.

One: A while back, Ning announced that it would start charging fees to groups that had a certain number of members. Given that part of the reason we moved here was to not have to pay any fees, we were told our moderators were considering options. Problem is, at the time it seemed moving to yet another host site wouldn't allow us to escape fees nor were there other sites that were any better in terms of functionality and storage. We're still here, so I suppose we decided to stay ... when did we, and why, specifically?

Two: For a good long while, the old board (or, or us old-timers, the last old board) was being maintained as an archive. But part of the reason we moved was that there was a cost to maintaining it, both in money and time tinkering with its internal mechanics. We were warned on at least two occasions that it would be going away, and for anyone who wished to go into it and save whatever posts or threads they cared to ... but after those warnings, it got a reprieve. Yet, somewhere along the way, it really, truly did go where old websites go to die. When and why did that happen?

"When and why did that happen?"

Don't know why, but I tried to look at the old forums about a month ago and got a "Server not found" message.

I think part of the reason we ended up staying here instead of moving on is that those on the moderating team with the real web know-how no longer had the extra time a different forum site would take. Ning is very low-maintainance for us behind-the-scenes.

I think--again--that the reason we were able to access the old archives so long is that it kept being auto-renewed but Cap finally canceled the payment.

It was Cap's call.
I'm surprised that Cap (or whoever) doesn't make captaincomics.us redirect here since he spent so many years building the name up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service