I always pronounced it with a hard "g", like "begin gold" without the "be"..

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always pronounced it rhyme with "hang".  From the very little I know about Chinese pronunciation, "Shong" is more authentic, but it still sounds odd to me.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Then there's the new Marvel movie, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. In all the ads and trailers I've seen, his name is pronounced "Shang" as in rhymes with "long." My entire life, I've pronounced it "Shang" as in rhymes with "hang."

It's that old question of how one pronounces words/names that come from a different language, given that the phonemes differ dramatically. To cite two famous examples, Victorians pronounced Don Juan so that "Juan" rhymed with "moon," and the word "Japan" has a tortured history that has led to the English word for the country sounding rather unlike the name of that country if one were speaking Japanese.

I live in London-- the one in Canada, not the one in England.* In French, that other London over in England is pronounced, Londres, but this London is London, pronounced in French.

* As Archie Bunker once said, to the great joy of those who live here, "who the hell's ever heard of London, Ontario?" The movie Walk the Line subtitles every single town where the action takes place, but when Johnny Cash proposes to June Carter, it happens in "Ontario, Canada," supposedly because the filmmakers feared "London, Ontario" or "London, Canada" would read like an error to American audiences.

I've been to New London.  They've got a ferry terminal and a sub base.

JD DeLuzio said:

It's that old question of how one pronounces words/names that come from a different language, given that the phonemes differ dramatically. To cite two famous examples, Victorians pronounced Don Juan so that "Juan" rhymed with "moon," and the word "Japan" has a tortured history that has led to the English word for the country sounding rather unlike the name of that country if one were speaking Japanese.

I live in London-- the one in Canada, not the one in England.* In French, that other London over in England is pronounced, Londres, but this London is London, pronounced in French.

* As Archie Bunker once said, to the great joy of those who live here, "who the hell's ever heard of London, Ontario?" The movie Walk the Line subtitles every single town where the action takes place, but when Johnny Cash proposes to June Carter, it happens in "Ontario, Canada," supposedly because the filmmakers feared "London, Ontario" or "London, Canada" would read like an error to American audiences.

On the subject of Ontario:

airport code ONT is:
"Ontario International Airport (IATA: ONT, ICAO: KONT, FAA LID: ONT) is a public airport two miles east of downtown Ontario, in San Bernardino County, California, United States, about 38 miles (61 km) east of Downtown Los Angeles and 18 miles (29 km) west of Downtown San Bernardino."
There are stories of people who have purchased airline tickets for this airport (the closest major airport to me) by mistake, intending to go to Ontario, Canada. A little weird in that Ontario, Canada, is a province, not a city with a city airport.

Watching Supergirl last night, I was reminded of another mispronunciation on my part. Since the early '60s I've pronounced the Maid of Might's civilian name CARE-a. On TV, they pronounce it CAR-a. No matter how many times they say it, it sounds wrong to me.

I think I remember different actors pronouncing it differently on Supergirl and/or other Arrowverse shows..

Captain Comics said:

Watching Supergirl last night, I was reminded of another mispronunciation on my part. Since the early '60s I've pronounced the Maid of Might's civilian name CARE-a. On TV, they pronounce it CAR-a. No matter how many times they say it, it sounds wrong to me.

"There are stories of people who have purchased airline tickets for this airport by mistake..."

...and SGF/SPI, ROC/RST, PDX/PWM...

"Since the early '60s I've pronounced the Maid of Might's civilian name CARE-a. On TV, they pronounce it CAR-a."

I wouldn't say either was a mistake, necessarily... just a different way of pronouncing it. Some people pronounce Lana Lang LAN-a and some say LAH-na and that's just the way it is. I prefer LAH-na (as Lana Turner) but I pronounce the name of Superman's Kryptonian mother LARE-a (as in Larry) rahter than how most people pronounce it (Laura) just to be different. (On Earth it's Laura, on Krypton LARE-a.) 

Here's another one we've discussed before: Hippolyta. Is it Hip-POL-i-ta or Hip-po-LITE-a? Personally, I think both are correct (like the two pronunciations of Caribbean) but one time you were so adamant about one pronunciation over the other that I let it go. The next time it came up, I remember you said you just didn't know anymore, but I let it go then, too. I'm feeling daring today, though.

I think the Earth-2's Wonder Woman's daughter is Hip-po-LITE-a because she's "Lyta" for short.

I think the post-Crisis Wonder Woman's mother is Hip-POL-i-ta because she's "Polly" for short.

Is that Bette Davis and Bette Midler I see over there ... ?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service