It just hit me all of a sudden...damned nostalgia! I don't think Snowjob and his tricked-out snowmobile are in the movie, though.

...and I liked Nth Man better than the Joe comics in the 80s...

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is almost always a bad sign when the studio won't show the movie to critics first ...
As I've already said I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping for a fun time. I've changed my avatar to reflect my excitment for the film.

It's been a while since I have had a ton of fun watching a movie. Star Trek may have been the last one. But nothing has quite topped the feeling I had when I saw the first Transformers that made me feel like a kid.* I'm hoping that's what'll happen with G.I. Joe.

*I'm in no way stating that Transformers was a better film than Star Trek. Transformers just reminded me more of my childhood.
I have seen it, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. The cyber suits were a small part to the movie, and quite neat.
Was it Shakespeare? No, not by a long shot, but it was a lot of fun. In fact, it reminded me a lot of the first Star Wars movie. A lot of stuff going on that can be fleshed out for future movies. I wouldn't say it was as good as Star Wars, it was a few notches below.
As a Joe fan, I enjoyed most of the nods to fans, but they weren't over done. Among the things you can look out for are Hubba-Bubba, L.A.W., the Night Raven helmet, S.H.A.R.C.s and of course "knowing is half the battle."
It also helped solidify my belief that the "theme" to the over-arcing G.I. Joe store is "America know-how vs. mad-science." There was a lot of mad science in this, and that's the key to the conflict for me.
Most of all, I appreciated that it managed to be a "big" movie. It was clear that G.I. Joe and the future Cobra were really big organizations.
What didn't I like? Well ...
+++ G.I. Joe is an international organization. Really this isn't so bad, but if I could have it my way, it would be American.
+++ Duke. Tatum Channing is really not a good actor, and he's not one to hang a whole movie on.
+++ Snake Eyes. There wasn't a lot of good scenes with Ray Park doing his thing. There's no need for MTV cuts when you have Ray Park. Also, why does his mask have lips? That's just silly!
+++ Cobra Commander's mask. It just looks dumb, but that can be fixed no problem.
What else did I like? Well ...
+++ Baroness. Sienna Miller was amazing in that outfit. And beyond that, she had a great "upgrade" to her storyline. At first I didn't think it would work. But it did. Her gun was awesome too.
+++ Zartan. Arnold Vosloo was good in this. He didn't do much, but he was just as slimy as he needed to be.
+++ Extras. There were a lot of people that you get glimpses of in the film. Probably more than I noticed, but Sgt. Stalker was there, Cover Girl, Dr. Mindbender and even a hint of Wild Weasel.
+++ Cobra/NeoViper Troopers. They were perfect. Stormtrooper perfect.
+++ Mole machines. Yep. Mole machines. Any movie with a mole machine is a good movie in my book.
I saw the movie this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. It got everything right that Transformer: Revenge of the Fallen got wrong. There were a lot of action scenes but there weren't too long. Plus we got good looks at what everyone was doing during a particular action sequence and the film didn't dwell on one too long. The humor was decent. They said a joke and then moved on, no attempts at trying to compile three or four jokes together.

Channing Tatum is not a good actor but the film moved enough between the other characters to where he didn't have to carry the film all on his own. Snake eyes was pretty awesome. Could have used more of him but I remember from the cartoon, Snake Eyes was effecient. He showed up when he needed to and got the job done then he'd move on. That's how it worked her. The rest of the characters were fine. I would have like Cobra Commander to have a more serpenty voice like in the cartoon. But Joseph Gordon Levitt did a fine job as the character. I also enjoyed watching the Baroness and Scarlett every time they were on screen. But that was the single guy in me. I thought the weak link was Dennis Quaid as General Hawk. He seemed sort of stiff in the role. He also seemed young enough that he could probably still handed some action instead of just giving orders. I think an older more grizzled actor such as Sam Elliot or Fred Ward would have fit the role better.

I had a lot of fun watching this. It reminded me a lot of the cartoon. A lot of action and a servicible plot.
I also enjoyed watching the Baroness and Scarlett every time they were on screen. But that was the single guy in me.

You certainly didn't have to be single to appreciate them... (Holly's not reading this, right?)
Well, to carry on a tradition from the old site -- welcome! We're glad you're here!

Photobucket

Henry R. Kujawa said:
(my 1st post here at the new boards)

Not much to do with this movie... but I thought I'd re-post something I wrote earlier today at the Kirby-L Yahoo Group...

"There's so much in SHIELD about them being a "spy" organization, but the whole
"secret agent" thing doesn't wash with me. They seem much more to be an
ANTI-TERRORIST organization. In that light, Kirby was taking evil behavior from
the past and projecting it into the future. SHIELD was decades ahead of its
time. (And the 1980's G.I.JOE was clearly stealing the concept wholesale-- if it
was a "coincidence", it's sure a funny one that SHIELD's last artist was also
G.I.JOE's first one-- Herb Trimpe! And who are they fighting? An outfit named
"Cobra"! Jack had already created a similar outfit named "Kobra" for DC just
before jumping ship back to Marvel.)"
The double feature at the drive-in this weekend is G.I.Joe and District 9. Heck yeah, I'm gonna be there!
Cavalier said:
The double feature at the drive-in this weekend is G.I.Joe and District 9. Heck yeah, I'm gonna be there!

Drive-In? Wow, must be one of the few left.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service