Going Through My Graphic Novels: Cull or Keep? (SPOILERS)

I've got rather alot of graphic novels, most of which sit on my bookshelves or in boxes in my closets from one year to the next, never being looked at. So, I've decided to go through them all, re-reading each one and deciding whether to keep it or to cull it. Culls will be donated to the local public library.

As I re-read each one, I'm going to try to present my impression of each one, and then announce the verdict: Cull or Keep?

There will be spoilers here, so beware. I most likely won't read one every day, but I 'm going to try to keep up a steady pace.

Views: 4638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I decided to put this up in chunks...

A somewhat jaw-dropping discovery happened to me when I was writing this ~ I checked Wikipedia's page for Plastic Man , and it gave no dewsription , even mention , in the text whatsoever of ALL OF the DC versions of PM published in the pre-Code era , not the 60s series , not its 70s revival (under the same numbering) , not the BRAVE AND THE BOLD " gloomy " appearances , not the early-80s?? strip in Dollar-Sized WORLD'S FINEST which I have never read (just I have never seen the 1980 Plas TV series which eventually had him married ~ You do ,  heh heh , recall that fandom joke about strching super-heroes and the " babes " , do you not ? :-) A heh heh .) ~ The immediately post-Crisis Phil Foglio PM mini is the first DC Plas to me mentioned in the Wiki-text (The cover of that initial Robby Reed issue is however picyured and captioned .) !

BTW , an issue of Back Issue a bit ago had an article about ANOTHER DC whack at reviving Plas , an attempted late-70s newspaper strip by the artist (a female) Lee Marrs ~ I reecall the article being written in such a way as to not absolutely make it clear whether this PM daily newspaper strip was sim-ly a tplanned project , done but never officially published , or if the strip had a short test?? run somewhere !

Philip Portelli said:

Despite what the cover says, when DC put out Plastic Man #1 (D'66), this was NOT the original Plas! In #7, we learnt that he was really Plastic Man II, the son of the Plas who supposedly debuted in Police Comics #1, complete with an elderly Woozy Winks. When the series ended with #10, Plas, Jr. appeared in Brave & Bold and got more depressing with each guest shot!

When Plastic Man was revived in the 70s with #11, it starred the "real" Plas and Woozy, young again while Junior stretched into Comic Book Limbo!

I noticed that too. Thought there'd be some mention of Plas Jr but there wasn't. And trust me you don't want to see his cartoon show. The awfulness of Disco Mummy would haunt you forever.

Last night I re-read Neonomicon, by Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows.

I find that I had previously commented about this book thusly:

Read Neonomicon yesterday.  It was OK, competently written and the artwork was quite good. Overall, fairly mundane stuff. I've come to think that our Howard's stuff just doesn't work well in a "visual" medium - I suspect that there's a certain amount of truth to the old saw that the monsters we come up with in our imaginations are always scarier/more disturbing than ones presented to us on film or on paper.

Having looked at it again last night, I would say that I was a bit harsh in the above.I still do think that Lovecraft's stuff works better when the "monster" is left to our imaginations, but he does as good of a job of it as anyone I've seen.  Moore addresses sexuality pretty frankly here, which is something  Lovecraft himself never did. This is definitely not a book to show to Grandma, unless your Grandma is alot more open-minded than mine was. The artowkr is quite good, and suits the type of story that it is.

Cull or Keep?: Keep.  This is an well-crafted take on Lovecraftian horror, which also manages to introduce some new swerves, and address our Howard's limitations as well.

This is the book that got challenged here at the Greenville County Library System where I'm working now. I'm much more in agreement with your initial assessment, except I never liked the art. I thought the book was mainly designed to be as shocking as possible, which obviously worked with one of our library users.

I've never been a Lovecraft fan, so that may make a big difference in what I got out of it.

Well, I'm fairly certain that the book was intended to shock. I expect that how one answers the question as to why Moore might have wanted to shock people could determine how one feels about the book.

Books and movies like that have given Lovecraft stories a reputation of being very violent and very sexual. Lovecraft woud be appalled. He said sex was childish nonsense he wouldn't waste his time on.

Next is Batman: The Killing Joke, by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. 

I don't suppose anyone here has to be told anything about this one! This is very well-written and well-drawn, and shows a real appreciation for the histories of both Batman and the Joker. Good stuff!

Cull or Keep?: Definitely a keeper!

And another:  Abslom Daak - Dalek Killer, by Steve Moore, Steve Dillon, David Lloys, Richard & Steve Alan, and Lee Sullivan.

This is actually a collection of stories that originally appeared in Doctor Who Weekly, Doctor Who Monthly and Doctor Who Magazine. Together they tell the story of Abslom Daak, a condemned violent killer in the far future, who is given the choice of simple execution or "Exile DK", that is, being sent to a world occupied by Daleks to kill as many of them as he can, before inevitably being killed themselves.  Daak chooses the DK option, and we follow his adventures killing Daleks alongside a group of like-minded individuals.  He even encounters a certain itinerant Time Lord who is also known for battling Daleks.

This is interesting stuff, I haven't read much 2000 AD, but I suspect that this was an attempt to introduce a "2000 AD type" character into the Doctor Who universe. Well worth a look if you get a chance.

Cull or Keep?:  Keep. Not doing alot of culling so far, am I?  Well, I never deliberately bought a book that I thought wouldn't interest me on some level.

I'm rather proud of my copy of Absloom Daak.  It's a bit of a rarity.  Although I think it has been included in a recent collection.  Yes, he's a very 2000AD character.  Steve Dillon is Irish by the way.  Began his career being published in Marvel UK and 2000AD very young.  Maybe 16 or so?  And he was very prolific too, with quite a 'stripped down' style.

His parents are Irish, father a signpainter from Dublin I think. He grew up in Luton, England.

Next is Camelot 3000, by Mike W. Barr and Brian Bolland.  This is an old favorite of mine, although it seems a bit creakier in places to me than it did when I first read it. Maybe that's partly because I first read it in twelve installments rather than all at one gulp. There's a fair amount of expository dialogue to remind one of what happened last issue that clutters the story when you read it all at once.

Still, this is quite good. I note particularly that Barr isn't afraid to show the dark side of his heroes, letting us see that Arthur was a baby-killer and Tristan was a rapist back in the old days. This book has one of the creepiest lines I've ever seen in comics, "...And we'll have babies..."

Cull or Keep?:  Keep!

Wasn't the last issue very late?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service