Going Through My Graphic Novels: Cull or Keep? (SPOILERS)

I've got rather alot of graphic novels, most of which sit on my bookshelves or in boxes in my closets from one year to the next, never being looked at. So, I've decided to go through them all, re-reading each one and deciding whether to keep it or to cull it. Culls will be donated to the local public library.

As I re-read each one, I'm going to try to present my impression of each one, and then announce the verdict: Cull or Keep?

There will be spoilers here, so beware. I most likely won't read one every day, but I 'm going to try to keep up a steady pace.

Views: 4642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you have the first printing of the tpb, Grunwald's ashes were reportedly mixed with the ink.

Nah, it's a second printing - it even has a note specifically saying that there's no ashes in it.

Richard Willis said:

I don't remember any mainstream news about Robin dying.

Luke Blanchard said:

I saw an item. It was a report from an American TV show. It said fans saw Robin as a brat, and used the cover of Batman #424 (in which Robin possibly commits murder).

I remember some. Including one that was written like an obituary ... that cited Dick Grayson ... and gave his age as 51.

Richard Willis is right; the broader world knew nothing of Jason Todd at the time, and not that many know of him today.

And this was a second version of Jason Todd to boot.

Wasn't the second version of Jason Todd the one people disliked?

Got a bunch of reading done. First up was The Cowboy Wally Show, by Kyle Baker, which is done as a documentary about the life and career of film and TV star "Cowboy Wally", This is extremely funny stuff, easily one of the funniest comics I've ever read. Plus it has my all-time favorite comic book adaptation of Hamlet in it.  Baker's style of humor really appeals to me. Really, really good.

Cull or Keep?: Keep.

Next was Why I Hate Saturn, also by Kyle Baker. This one is the story of a young writer and her eccentric sister.  Another very funny one, with alot of amusing commentary on society and interpersonal relations.  Another winner from Mister Baker.

After that was Biggles and the Sargasso Triangle, by Björn Karlström, a Swedish artist who was famous for aviation comics. In it, our hero and his pals investigate mysterious ship disappearances.  The art is competent but simplistic. Whoever did the English adaptation made rather an unacceptable number of typos. The story itself is fairly straightforward Boys' Adventure stuff, with heroic manly Anglo-Saxons setting things to rights, and the one female character fairly drab and ineffectual.

Cull or Keep?: Keep, if only as a curiosity.

Finally I read Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, by Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Dick Giordano and Terry Austin.  I picked this up mostly because I remember people making a big deal about it when it came out, and I never got to see it. The story itself is good but not great. It's a fairly good example of a typical 70's Superman story as I recall them, spiced up a bit by seeing the various 70's era celebrities that appear in it. The art, as you might expect, is quite good.  Worth a look if you get a chance.

WHY I HATE SATURN: One of the co-owners of my LCS at the time of its initial release was so enthusiastic about WIHS that she insisted I borrow and read it if I didn’t want to buy it. I remember enjoying it, but untimately I didn’t buy it.

SUPERMAN VS. MUHAMMAD ALI: I didn’t buy or read this one until it was released in hardcover recently. When DC and Marvel first started releasing “treasury editions” they were something special. Later ones weren’t so much and I stopped buying them. I made a mistake when I passed on this one, though (and some of the others which had new material rather than reprints). Even though I didn’t start reading DC comics (to any great extent) until this ‘80s, this one really brings me back to a particular time and place. I’ve read it twice since I bought it.

Ron M. said:

Wasn't the second version of Jason Todd the one people disliked?

Absolutely, mainly due to the fact that Starlin (and Max Allen Collins before him) did their darndest to make post-Crisis Jason Todd unlikeable in the main Batman title.  In Detective, Mike W. Barr gave us a Jason Todd much like the pre-Crisis version, as did Marv Wolfman in New Teen Titans (NTT 20 and subsequent issues), reminiscent of a young Dick Grayson.

Biggles was the hero of a long-running series of books by W.E. Johns. He was apparently very well-known in Britain mid-century, and by extension here, as Australia was more British then.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service