Going Through My Graphic Novels: Cull or Keep? (SPOILERS)

I've got rather alot of graphic novels, most of which sit on my bookshelves or in boxes in my closets from one year to the next, never being looked at. So, I've decided to go through them all, re-reading each one and deciding whether to keep it or to cull it. Culls will be donated to the local public library.

As I re-read each one, I'm going to try to present my impression of each one, and then announce the verdict: Cull or Keep?

There will be spoilers here, so beware. I most likely won't read one every day, but I 'm going to try to keep up a steady pace.

Views: 4638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I gave away a foot tall stack of tpbs over Thanksgiving to our friends' ten year old son, and The Dark Knight Returns was among them. All of it was good stuff. The only reason I culled them from my collection is because I now have them duplicated in hardcover as well. I feel better about giving them away to someone I know will appreciate them than selling them for less than they're worth to a used bookstore.

I re-read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, by Frank MIller.  I don't know why people are so down on this book. Sure, it's horribly written and horribly drawn, but, on the other hand, it does...um...I....Look! A huge distracting thing! (Runs away in opposite direction.)

Cull or Keep?: Keep, if only as an example of the Platonic ideal of a bad sequel.

I remembered it being all bad, but the last time I re-read it (a few years ago, in conjunction with All-Star Batman & Robin), I came to the conclusion that parts 1 & 2 were okay... it was just part 3 that sucked so hard. I remember a large delay between 2 & 3 during which time the towers fell. I think that hit FM pretty hard and goes a long way toward explaining his most recent comic book work.

The Baron said:

Cull or Keep?: Keep, if only as an example of the Platonic ideal of a bad sequel.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I remember a large delay between 2 & 3 during which time the towers fell. I think that hit FM pretty hard and goes a long way toward explaining his most recent comic book work.

That's my take too. It also suffered from Miller inking it himself, unlike The Dark Knight Returns.

Read Star Trek - Mirror Images, by Scott & David Tipton, David Messina and Sara Pichelli. Thiis one is set in the "Mirror Universe", which tells the story of how Mirror-Kirk became captain of the ISS Enterprise, with a side story showing Mirror-Picard shortly before the fall of the Empire. Good stuff. Another fun story from the IDW team. I've always liked the "Mirror Universe" concept, so  this one really worked well for me.

Cull or Keep?: Keep.

As noted elsewhere, I haven't seen all of the Star Trek TV episodes. That includes "Mirror, Mirror." I once picked up a DVD from somewhere that has all of episodes set in the "Mirror Universe," but I haven't gotten around to watching it.

So has most everyone, apparently, because Marvel and DC and IDW have all done their own sequels.

The Baron said:

I've always liked the "Mirror Universe" concept, so  this one really worked well for me.

Disney also used the idea in Darkwing Duck.

Buffy used it as well.

And Dr Who's Inferno storyline, I believe.  And Sliders was basically a whole TV series based on the idea, if anyone remembers that.

But then the Crime Sydnicate of Earth-3 came before Star Trek.

Indeed.  And "It's a Wonderful Life" did it in the 40s.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service