Going Through My Graphic Novels: Cull or Keep? (SPOILERS)

I've got rather alot of graphic novels, most of which sit on my bookshelves or in boxes in my closets from one year to the next, never being looked at. So, I've decided to go through them all, re-reading each one and deciding whether to keep it or to cull it. Culls will be donated to the local public library.

As I re-read each one, I'm going to try to present my impression of each one, and then announce the verdict: Cull or Keep?

There will be spoilers here, so beware. I most likely won't read one every day, but I 'm going to try to keep up a steady pace.

Views: 4395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL. I knew the 'she' was ambiguous there. Incidently the mam wasn't intending to drive either.

Last night I read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill.  Fun stuff, I love a well-written fanfic. Definitely not for the squeamish, although I suppose one doesn't go to Alan Moore for Happy Bunny Picks A Flower, does one? (Though I daresay he could write a good children's book if he wanted to.)

Cull or Keep?: Keep.

My uncle was driving Grandpa's plow on his farm when he was 10. Poor guy didn't have time to wait I guess. Cancer got him in his 20s.

My uncle that is, although Grandpa followed him a couple of years later.

Read X-Presidents, by Robert Smigel, Adam McKay, Bob Suarez, Kevin Kobasic, Chris Knowles and Joe Rubinstein & Assoc.  This is derived from the TV Funhouse segments that used to appear on Saturday Night Live, in which Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford. Jimmy Carter and George Bush the Elder gain super-powers and fight crime. It's an amusing idea, but the art is crude and the humor is extremely blue.  It has its moments, but it's not for everyone.

Cull or Keep?: Keep.

The Baron said:

Finally, I read Superman/Batman: Absolute Power, by Jeph Loeb, Carlos Pacheco and Jesus Merino, from Super/Batman #14 - 18.

An interesting story - the Legion of Super-Villains decides to re-write history by "adopting" Kal-El and Bruce Wayne and using them to re-shape the timeline.

Fun stuff that re-visits just about every period in DC history.

I sought this out and just finished reading it. Terrific story.

Read Batman Incorporated - Leviathan Strikes!, by Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart. This is a collection of interrelated stories from 2012. It's odd -it's more like a promo for another story, than  stand-alone. That said, parts of it are quite good. I especially like the segment where Batgirl (Stephanie Brown) is sent to infiltrate an evil girls' school. The art is very good on this, also.. I liked this period in bat-history.

Cull or Keep?: Keep.

Read Star Blazers Perfect Album, by Tim Eldred. It has two sections - in the first, after his return to Earth, Derek Wildstar is given Captain Avatar's diary, and in it reads the Captain's account of the battle with the Gamilons. In the second, Leader Desslok recalls his war on Earth and alliance with the Comet Empire. It also contains a short program guide, with an episode list for the first two seasons, and a short character and ship guide.

The stories a well-done. The art's a bit mediocre, but tolerable. Overall, fun stuff.

Read The Mark of Mandragora, a Doctor Who collection containing the following stories:

1)"Train-Flight", by Andrew Donkin, Graham S. Brand, and John Ridgway, in which the Seventh Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith encounter alien invaders.

2)"Doctor Conkeror", by Ian Rimmer and Mike Collins, in which  the Seventh Doctor defeats invading Vikings using a children's game.

3)"Fellow Travellers", Andrew Cartmel and Arthur Ranson, in which the Seventh Doctor and Ace encounter a possessed housekeeper.

4)"Teenage Kicks", by Paul Cornell, a text piece in which Ace re-visits a scene from her past.

5)"The Mark of Mandragora", by Dan Abnett, Lee Sullivan  and Mark Farmer, in which the Seventh Doctor, Ace and UNIT battle the Mandragora Helix.

Overall, an  enjoyable collection of stories. I think I like the titular story best.

Re-read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill, in which our protagonists battle Martian invaders.  You know, of all of the LoEG books that I've read, I think that this one is my favorite. I epsecially like the character development given to Hyde in this.

And the identity and fate of M.

The Baron said:

Re-read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill, in which our protagonists battle Martian invaders.  You know, of all of the LoEG books that I've read, I think that this one is my favorite. I epsecially like the character development given to Hyde in this.

Actually, the above should read "Volume Two".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service