Goodbye, Arly

Yesterday afternoon, I took my cat Arly to the vet so that she could be put to sleep for age and health-related reasons.

The Lovely and Talented and I adopted Arly as a tiny kitten, almost 17 years ago, and she's been my baby ever since.   Fortunately, the weather was unusually fine on her last day, so we sat her on the windowsill so she could sniff the breeze and watch the world go by.

This was ... hard.  I'm feeling better today.  Not good, but better,

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's heartbreaking, Doctor--what a sweet way to say goodbye to an old friend. So sorry to hear about your loss.

• That is a tough one, Doc. Especially when a pet has been in your life for so long. Truly sorry for your loss.

• Sorry to hear it, Doc. They become such a big part of your life, don't they?

• I feel for you Doctor, having endured the same situation on more than one occasion, you have my sympathy.

A friend once related how the passing of a beloved pet is often more difficult than losing a relative or human friend because of the unconditional love that a pet offers.

• I had to do this last year as well. It's never easy.

The kids have now started adopting the stray cats who are walking past in the back yard.
    We now have 1 and a half who are permitted into our house, and we're feeding three on the back step.

It doesn't get any easier.

• My wife and I have had to go through this a few times. It's never easy.

• Sorry for your loss, Doc.  Beautiful picture there.  I'm sure Arly couldn't have asked for better friends, or a better life.

• Thanks so much, guys.  I'm really not trolling for sympathy.  My heart' was just really full this morning -- still is -- and it helped to share.

The Lovely and Talented is the family photographer.

• My condolences. We lost our Tazz last month after a year of deteriation. She was a good dog and loved us all. Hopefully she felt the love back.

• My condolences, Doctor. I like cats.

This reply was deleted.