Views: 1813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The more you describe it, the more it makes my head want to explode. 

This latest business goes to something I said over here, the last time a killer came into the police station and shot a cop -- you CAN'T have people wandering into the police station and killing cops! You just CAN'T!  You let that happen once, and then they'll come in and kill cops anytime they feel like it!  photo flamethrower-1.gif

And this time, they killed the commissioner? NO! (I liked Sarah Essen.) That is a straight-up declaration of war, and even the most bumbling outfit should respond with nothing less than overwhelming force. A show where they don't is a show I don't want to watch -- and that isn't even the show they sold us on.

Forget what I said yesterday about being "perfectly willing to accept Cameron Monaghan as a placeholder Joker… until the real thing comes along." Jerome is the Joker... the best Joker we have ever seen on the big or small screen (IMO).

Regarding the unrealistic aspects of this show, they just don't bother me the way they do you guys. Maybe I'm not taking it seriously enough, but you guys are taking it too seriously (again, IMO). Gotham is a fantasy.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't expect "realistic" (you all know where I stand on "realistic"), but I do expect plausible.

It just doesn't bother me.

What bothered me more was the way the Maniax threw victims bound in straight jackets with letters painted on them off the rooftop of the Gotham Gazette and they landed on the street below spelling out "M-A-N-I-A-X-!" That I found impossible to believe.

Incidentally, the newspapers shown inside the office still didn';t look anylike more like real newspapers that any other newspaper shown on TV or in the movies.

That didn't bother me--it was apparent there was going to be a reveal of that, so I was ready for it. It was silly but no big deal. In these shows, I expect unbelievable coincidences, immediate DNA results, instant access to every computer file by hackers, thousands of bullets that miss their mark, fistfights that would kill people not even making them groggy, etc. 

I'm concerned about the actions that make a difference to the characters being so unbelievable. My suspension of disbelief can only go so far, even for superhero shows, and my ability to root for the guys who do what's expedient isn't that high. Even fantasy shows need to have some boundaries so we know what to expect.

OTOH, Peter Davis agrees with you; he posted to his FB page that Gotham has become one of the best shows on TV this year. I'm not seeing it.

As to newspapers, it's surprising how shows act like they've never seen one before. Fortunately, there's a prop newspaper that's used for decades when a nonspecific one is needed so they don't have to make one up. 

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

So he has to explain why he wasn't there, making his unprofessional reaction paramount to the followup investigation (I presume someone will investigate this, unlike last year's cop-killing in the precinct house).

The way they tell the stories, I'd be surprised if ANY investigation follows.

So yeah, either I watch it brain-dead and just say "It is what it is," or I stop. I'm watching too critically to enjoy it at this point.

I tend to watch it uncritically. Life is too short. I know I'm probably the only one here who watched it, but the TV show Hannibal told wildly different stories using the characters in the Hannibal books and movies. I find it intertesting to see a different "take" on the Gotham characters. I'm not trying to match it up with the DC comics version(s).

I expect unbelievable coincidences, immediate DNA results, instant access to every computer file by hackers, thousands of bullets that miss their mark, fistfights that would kill people not even making them groggy, etc.

Don't forget all the small business time cards on the internet in the cop shows. Somebody has to make an effort to add something to the internet and there has to be a reason to do so.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Forget what I said yesterday about being "perfectly willing to accept Cameron Monaghan as a placeholder Joker… until the real thing comes along." Jerome is the Joker... the best Joker we have ever seen on the big or small screen (IMO).

I agree. The more I see of him the more believable he is as the Joker. Killing Sarah Essen was what he did in the comics, though the characters with that name are different and died in different circumstances.

Life is too short.

For me, it's not so much about spending a lot of time dissecting it, it's about my expectations for the characters. I saw Babs standing around those cops and I expected Gordon to shout, "Stop that woman!" and have her scurry away and magically disappear somehow. I did NOT expect him to run across the room, past all the cops she just ran past, and follow her into a deserted alley. That just makes him look stupid. IMO.

But maybe I can watch it and just say, "Boy, that wasn't a good way to handle that" and "Oh wow, that's a lot of dead cops." OTOH, regardless of the shortness of life, there's a LOT of good TV out there, and not enough time to watch it all. I'm not sure this one makes a good choice for the time I've got available any more.

He IS a good Joker, and it'd be a stretch to think another one will come along later in life and pattern himself after this guy. I don't think he's too much older than Bruce, so I don't think that's a problem. I also don't think that's something they'll have to concern themselves about for many years.

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

So yeah, either I watch it brain-dead and just say "It is what it is," or I stop. I'm watching too critically to enjoy it at this point.

Richard Willis said:

I tend to watch it uncritically. Life is too short. 

I'd gladly watch Gotham uncritically if the writing was better! I watch shows and movies uncritically all the time! It's when the writing is so lousy that it calls attention to how lousy it is that I can't stop being critical!

Something else I liked about this week's episode: Lucius Fox.

OCTOBER 5 EPISODE: I didn’t see that coming!

Forget what I said last week about forgetting what I said the week before that. I really didn’t expect Jerome to be killed this quickly at all. On the other hand, the Joker does have a thing for returning from the dead. (And didn’t he “die” of a knife wound in the very first issue of Batman?) On the other other hand, the Joker’s corpse in the comics is rarely available for examination by the ME. There’s obviously something going on behind the scenes, though, given his father’s prediction and the criminals’ behavior at the end.

It could be that Jerome isn't really dead. It could have been a staged death by Jerome and the "hero" Theo Galavan. Or it could be he's really dead and the thugs at the end were an early indication of (an) inspired Joker(s). I am also reminded of the Batman Beyond joker gangs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Speaking of changing tastes, writer Michael L. Fleischer tried to breathe new life into this tired…"
3 hours ago
"Continuing on ... Jonah Hex graduated to his own series, titled Jonah Hex of course (March-April…"
3 hours ago
"Continuing this saga ... All-Star Western was retitled Weird Western Tales with issue #12…"
3 hours ago
"Another case of retitling but not renumbering: All-Star Western #1 (August-September 1970) Final…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 885 Super-Heroines
"Added Blackhawk Britannia The Choir Cutie Daiten Ladies Daiten Solaria 1 Daiten Solaria…"
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I'm not against "duplicates", per se, I've got three "Storms" onnthe…"
5 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"Eric Choi's Just Like Being There-- Hard SF from the award-winning author and aerospace…"
6 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"They do explain why they didn't choose Sgt. Rock, though. It was also, supposed to be out…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Moving to a new volume is like losing one's virginity: once it's done, there's no…"
9 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"I think the term "comic book industry" is an oxymoron. I always say "comic book…"
9 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"In Secret Society of Super-Villains 5, by Bob Rozakis, Rich Buckler, and Vince…"
9 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"Some perspective on the size of the comic book industry.  On the radio today I heard that in…"
10 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service