GOTHAM cast and producers returned to San Diego Comic-Con to give fans a preview of the mayhem in store for the upcoming fourth season, and debuted an exclusive highlight reel featuring the first look at footage from the season four premiere, airing on its new night, Thursday, September 28, at 8/7c on FOX. #WBSDCC (© 2017 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I pointed out to my wife that Jeremiah was wearing purple and orange. She responded “villain colors.” Yes, but specifically Joker colors. And yes, Joker toxin, courtesy Scarecrow, which makes sense. And the show is utterly bonkers, which I love.

The willingness to go totally bonkers caused both this and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D to go from "meh" to "must watch" for me.

I couldn't be more delighted.

[headslap!]

I totally moissed that! I even commented: "That looks like a suit Bruce Banner would wear."

I read a story online somewhere that stated Gotham is at the point that it should not be considered a Batman prequel, because it is now impossible to get from A to B (or from "Here" to "Batman"). I don't know if that's true -- I think it's still A Batman prequel, but maybe not THE Batman prequel -- but I find it does help you enjoy the show more to discard what you THINK the show will be or what you WANT the show to be. Because what it is, independent of anyone's personal expectations, is a very entertaining show with great actors and terrific production values. Like S.H.I.E.L.D., it makes the preposterous plausible, takes in stride incredible shifts in status quo, and stops at nothing to entertain us.

And in some sense, it's more true to the spirit of Batman than any literal interpretation could be. For one thing, this is a city that might actually NEED vigilantes. It's obvious that the official power structures are hopelessly incompetent, corrupt, or both. Gordon and Bullock can only do so much, especially when allies like Lee Thompkins fall to the Dark Side. 

Or maybe she's just doing what Gordon and Bullock are doing -- bending (and sometimes breaking) the rules in order to achieve a higher good. It makes them all criminals, now, but at least they get something positive done. (In Lee's case, it's a charity clinic in the Narrows, much like what she devoted her life to in official Batman canon.) 

Also, I never understood why Penguin and Riddler would go to Arkham. Now I do.

Also, isn't it funny that even on TV Arkham is like a revolving door? Nobody important stays there long.

Speaking of revolving doors, Gotham uses the Revolving Door of Death just like the comics, taking it in stride and even commenting on it. Well, Bullock does, anyway. In one show he says "Doesn't anyone stay dead in this town any more?" And in another he says, "This isn't a morgue -- it's a motel!" So, yes, the characters are aware that coming back from the dead is becoming commonplace. They're not happy about it, either!

P.S. I love that everyone thought "Riddler" was a stupid name (it is!), but now just shrug and accept it.

Surely anyone trying to get from "Here" to "Batman" stopped watching long ago.  I mean, nobody tunes in every week to a show that drives them into frothing fits of outrage and then spends the week venting about how awful it all is  ... right?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Surely anyone trying to get from "Here" to "Batman" stopped watching long ago.  I mean, nobody tunes in every week to a show that drives them into frothing fits of outrage and then spends the week venting about how awful it all is  ... right?

I used to, but I stopped.

Yeah ... but when you have a criticism, CK, I listen.  I may not agree, but I listen, because you know what you're talking about,

photo beer.gif

ClarkKent_DC said:

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I used to, but I stopped.

Thank you. 

photo beer.gif

“I read a story online somewhere that stated Gotham is at the point that it should not be considered a Batman prequel.”

I don’t know why that would be true at this point. I felt that about Smallville at one point, especially as pertains to Jimmy Olsen. Then they pulled the ol’ switcheroo in that the person we thought would become “Superman’s pal” was killed and his identity assumed by his twin brother (?!). Same thing on Gotham concerning the Joker…?

According to a bunch of news stories, Fox chief said "Gotham should have a place on our schedule." The reason he had to say something is that it's losing its time slot to NFL Thursday (or whatever it's called). So it will move a second time in five years -- if it's renewed. "Should" is not "will," which the guy could have said if it's a certainty. He didn't. So we don't know yet.

Nor do we know about Lucifer, also on Fox, or iZombie on The CW. All the other CW comics shows (Arrow, Black Lightning, Flash, Legends and Supergirl) have been renewed.

Now that TV executives have warmed up to the idea of year-round programming, maybe they could switch Gotham to after the football season to make it all fit. As long as the network publicized the move (so people didn't think it was cancelled) it should work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service