Graphic Novels set in the South

Or: "Help Dagwan Sell Some Books"

I have a customer whose girlfriend is interested in any good graphic novels that are set in the South for a Southern Literature class.

Any suggestions?

My list thus far:

Bayou

Dixie Road

Fallen Angel

Gambit limited Series

Hawkman/ Hawkgirl

Impulse

Incognegro

Man-Thing

Pogo

Preacher

Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow

Stuck Rubber Baby

Swamp Thing

Unknown: Devil Made Flesh

Walking Dead

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bayou- set in Louisiana, a Zuda comic that has been released as a tpb
    Impulse: Reckless Youth- set in Manchester, Alabama (a pseudonym for Birmingham, Alabama); would bring a very different perspective on the South
    Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
  • It would be neat to build a google map that pinpointed the locales used in graphic novels/comic stories. Sure, most Superhero stuff would be NYC, but after that it would be an interesting look at where these take place.

You'd have to do separate ones for Marvel, DC and other, but it would be kinda fun.

And don't forget the Pogo stories!
  • Man Thing...

Gambit limited series...

EC Civil War stories...

Man, I'm drawing a blank! ('Course I was gonna say Pogo and Preacher and Swamp Thing, too.)
  • The first volume of The Walking Dead takes place in Atlanta.
  • Oh, and the Geoff Johns Hawkman/Hawkgirl series took place in St. Roch, a stand-in for New Orleans.
  • Batmatt Beyond said:
    The first volume of The Walking Dead takes place in Atlanta.

I think all of it's been in the South so far, although they're moving farther and farther north to D.C. in recent issues.
  • Not that it will help you right now, but Hellboy: The Crooked Man had an Appalachian setting. There was also a really good Batman Annual from the late 80s/early 90s written by Mark Waid that was set in the south. His Unknown: Devil Made Flesh mini that recently concluded was predominantly set in Alabama. Waid hails from Hueytown, Alabama, hence the Southern love in his works. :)
  • Isn't Peter David's Fallen Angel set in the South as well?
  • Stuck Rubber Baby
    Dixie Road
    and I was gonna say Pogo as well
  • Batmatt Beyond said:
    Not that it will help you right now, but Hellboy: The Crooked Man had an Appalachian setting. There was also a really good Batman Annual from the late 80s/early 90s written by Mark Waid that was set in the south. His Unknown: Devil Made Flesh mini that recently concluded was predominantly set in Alabama. Waid hails from Hueytown, Alabama, hence the Southern love in his works. :)

Good point. I'd add that Impulse was set in the South as well. (Manchester, Alabama, was the name of his town, I believe.)
This reply was deleted.