I decided to move these posts over from "What Comics Have You Read Today?" and make a discussion out of it.

GREEN LANTERN: I started re-reading Archive volume one today (August 23), which comprises Showcase #22-24 and Green Lantern #1-5.

GREEN LANTERN ARCHIVES, v2 (#6-13): I have already mentioned elsewhere that Tracy finds that Hal Jordan's parents did not give him an alliterative name as they did their other two boys to be completely unbelievable. Political correctness aside, "Pieface" is a stupid nickname. (I rank it right up there with "King Faraday" and "Tom, Dick & Harriet.) Personally, I find the term "little Eskimo grease monkey" (which Broome uses at least once each issue) to be even more offensive. The covers of each of these issues stands out in my memory, but the splash pages are quite distinctive and memorable as well. I have learned to skip all of the footnotes (as well as the oath) in order to avoid repetition.

GREEN LANTERN ARCHIVES v3 (#14-21): Up until this point, all stories had been by John Broome and Gil Kane, but in this volume, Gardner Fox writes one story (of two in each issue) in #16, 17 and #21. Also, in #18, Mike Sekowsky pencils six pages (over Gil Kane layouts). The Gardner Fox story in #16, "Earth's First Green Lantern," is remarkable in that it answers the question, given that a Green Lantern can fly through space via his or her power ring alone, why was Abin Sur travelling in a spaceship in Showcase #22? Fox provides a convoluted explanation regarding energy creatures called Larifars and the theft of "I-factors" from victim races.

What makes this story remarkable is that Alan Moore provided a completely different explanation in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps #2 (1986). As I recalled these two contradictory stories, I preferred the one by Alan Moore... until I re-read them both in the course of this project. Whereas both stories use the explanation that Abin Sur is using a spaceship because he's worried about his ring losing its charge, in the Fox story, he does so as a ruse so (for convoluted reasons, as I mentioned) Larifars do not see him recharge his ring' "Earth's First Green Lantern" knows his ring will remain charged until the time limit is up. Alan Moore's story, as entertaining as it is otherwise, does not account for this fact, so I must change my favorite to the earlier Gardner Fox story.

GREEN LANTERN ARCHIVES v4 (#22-29): Within these eight issues, John Broome wrote five stories, Gardner Fox wrote ten. The comics themselves were published without credits, but that information is provided in the table of contents. It's fun to guess which stories were written by witch writer. [HINT: The distinctive way Fox uses nouns as verbs is a dead giveaway, as is his use of the term "star-sun." He also tends to throw in more theoretical physics.) Also this volume includes: the third appearance of Hector Hammond (#22), the first appearance of the Tattooed Man (#23), the first two appearances of the Shark (#24 & #28), [arguably] the first appearance of Mogo (#24), the return of Sonar (#25), the return of Star Sapphire (#26), the first appearance of Black Hand (#29), a cameo appearance by the Justice League of America, and more. The first solo Green Lantern story I ever read ("The House that Fought Green Lantern" reprinted in a 100-Pager in 1974) originally appeared in #28. Tracy finds it even more implausible that Hal wasn't given an alliterative name after the introduction of Judge Jeremiah Jordan. No "weenie-ization" of Hal Jordan yet. 

Views: 1829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

#89 (#88 was a reprint):

Religious (Christian) imagery abounds, from the cover (above) to the characters' names: Abraham, Issac (who is a dead ringer for Jesus). IMO, this is one of the rare issues of this run in which Green Lantern comes off looking better than Green Arrow. (GL is certainly more tolerant than I would be under similar circumstances.) Carol ferris appears, still wheelchair bound. O'Neil tosses out a memoravble simuile: "shocking as blood on the face of a baby."

Reading the synopsis on dc.fandom.com (I haven't read the story since 1972), it seems that GL and GA are having way too much trouble with ordinary security guards. At one point they take GL's ring away from him. Depowered or not, taking Hal's ring should be prevented by the ring itself. 

Green Lantern was debilitated by Green Arrow's gas arrow before the guard knocked him unconscious. I don't know whether or not, under normal circumstances, the ring itself would have prevented it being taken from Green Lantern's finger, but it had been weakened by the Guardians, remember, so that it no longer, for example, protected him from mortal harm.

FLASH #217-219: The last O'Neil/Adams GL/GA story did not appear in Green Lantern (which was cancelled with #89), but rather it was serialized in three consecutive issues of Flash. Six months (comic book time) have passed since Hal Jordan's last paycheck, and another two months pass between parts two and three. In this story, Green Arrow accidentally kills a perp, shaves his head and joins a monastery (a plot point which will revisit him years down the road).

NEXT: Space Traveling Heroes

Philip Portelli said:

Justice League of America #110 was the first time that I saw John Stewart as well and he made enough of an impressions that there was a mini-campaign to have him alternate with Hal in JLAwhich would have been an interesting approach. Sadly John never made that many appearances in those Pre-Crisis days.

The "Ollie-For-Mayor" storyline dragged on for years!

Yeah ... they didn't finish it during the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams run, and picked it up again after the book was revived under O'Neil and Mike Grell four years later. I never did see how it was resolved.

It occurs to me I capped off the O'Neil/Adams era without summarizing my thoughts, which had been my intention. I think it is neither as good as I remember it from the '80s, nor as bad as I remember it from the 2Ks. Taken in context of the era in which the stories were produced, I think it is well-deserving of its reputation as an influential run. 

Believe in or not, the storyline was finished in World's Finest Comics #255 (Ma'79), "Nothing But a Man!" by Elliot S! Maggin and Trevor von Eeden where Ollie WINS the election but Black Canary convinces Clark Kent (of all people) to say that he lost.

As if that makes it right or legal!

ClarkKent_DC said:

Philip Portelli said:

Justice League of America #110 was the first time that I saw John Stewart as well and he made enough of an impressions that there was a mini-campaign to have him alternate with Hal in JLAwhich would have been an interesting approach. Sadly John never made that many appearances in those Pre-Crisis days.

Yeah ... they didn't finish it during the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams run, and picked it up again after the book was revived under O'Neil and Mike Grell four years later. I never did see how it was resolved.

I dimly remember the "Ollie-for-Mayor" storyline.  I mostly figured someone would notice that both Mayor Queen and the Green Arrow had the same fairly distinctive beard.

Philip Portelli said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

Philip Portelli said:

Believe in or not, the storyline was finished in World's Finest Comics #255 (Ma'79), "Nothing But a Man!" by Elliot S! Maggin and Trevor von Eeden where Ollie WINS the election but Black Canary convinces Clark Kent (of all people) to say that he lost.

As if that makes it right or legal!

Wait -- WHAT?

Now you're making me have to do some digging!

Stand by!

Okay! Oliver Queen ran as the successor to outgoing crusader mayor Jack Major, now elderly and wheelchair-bound. And yes, the people of Star City believed that Ollie was Green Arrow until Green Lantern used his ring to disguise himself so Ollie and GA could be seen at the same time.

Green Lantern also publicly endorsed Oliver Queen for mayor and later so did Black Canary (As Dinah she was Ollie's campaign manager!), the Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Atom, Robin, Batgirl and Supergirl! All while Clark Kent is covering the election for WGBS News, which makes no sense!

Anyway, Ollie finds out that Major made a deal with the syndicate that ensured that they stay out politics years ago and are backing Ollie's opponent unless Ollie does business with them! This leaves Ollie disillusioned and shattered (as much as Hal was in GL #76).

As Green Arrow, he grabs some files to prove all this and Clark discovers that without the mob's interference, Oliver Queen has won the mayoralty of Star City! He calls Ollie to tell him but gets Dinah who demands that he report that Ollie lost! As Dinah says:

"Don't throw me that 'freedom of the press' and your blessed Pulitzer Prize!...After what he did to the syndicate bosses...he's safer on the streets as Green Arrow than as Ollie Queen! And I'd hate for him to have to become the kind of man poor Jack Major (who had died of a heart attack in GA's arms) had to."

The text then reads: "So she holds a secret, this strong woman---this woman strong enough to keep her secret forever...She will ponder it, digest it, forget it...confident that she and fate have left this hero where he belongs."

Obviously they had written themselves into a corner and had to find some way for Ollie NOT to be mayor and not make him really lose. It's not very ethical or logical but it's what they did!

Sacred fecal matter, that's dumb.

Philip Portelli said:

Okay! Oliver Queen ran as the successor to outgoing crusader mayor Jack Major, now elderly and wheelchair-bound. And yes, the people of Star City believed that Ollie was Green Arrow until Green Lantern used his ring to disguise himself so Ollie and GA could be seen at the same time.

Green Lantern also publicly endorsed Oliver Queen for mayor and later so did Black Canary (As Dinah she was Ollie's campaign manager!), the Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Atom, Robin, Batgirl and Supergirl! All while Clark Kent is covering the election for WGBS News, which makes no sense!

Anyway, Ollie finds out that Major made a deal with the syndicate that ensured that they stay out politics years ago and are backing Ollie's opponent unless Ollie does business with them! This leaves Ollie disillusioned and shattered (as much as Hal was in GL #76).

As Green Arrow, he grabs some files to prove all this and Clark discovers that without the mob's interference, Oliver Queen has won the mayoralty of Star City! He calls Ollie to tell him but gets Dinah who demands that he report that Ollie lost! As Dinah says:

"Don't throw me that 'freedom of the press' and your blessed Pulitzer Prize!...After what he did to the syndicate bosses...he's safer on the streets as Green Arrow than as Ollie Queen! And I'd hate for him to have to become the kind of man poor Jack Major (who had died of a heart attack in GA's arms) had to."

The text then reads: "So she holds a secret, this strong woman---this woman strong enough to keep her secret forever...She will ponder it, digest it, forget it...confident that she and fate have left this hero where he belongs."

Obviously they had written themselves into a corner and had to find some way for Ollie NOT to be mayor and not make him really lose. It's not very ethical or logical but it's what they did!

I repeat, "Wait -- WHAT?"

• Why is the anchor of a national television network covering a mayoral election? (Okay, Star City is a semi-major city akin to Seattle, but still.)
  • Why does the anchor of a national television network have a Pullet Surprise? TV anchors win Emmy Awards! (Okay, okay, he got it from when he used to be an ink-stained wretch, but still.)
  • How does said anchor not accurately reporting the election results prevent the Board of Elections from releasing the election results to other news outlets?
  • And wouldn't the difference between what said anchor reported and what every other news organization reported damage said anchor's reputation, as well as that of the company he represents?
  • Wouldn't the candidate himself question the discrepancy? (Okay, okay, okay ... I got nothin' here, but still.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service