Green Lantern is perhaps my favorite DC character, but I haven’t been reading his adventures in his regular title for several years now. I picked up this one-shot for two reasons: 1) the unlikely pairing of two such different heroes, and 2) the creative team of Marv Wolfman and Brent Anderson. The result was… okay. It was a good, decent story (“with a beginning, a middle and an end,” as they say), but I doubt I’ll read it again any time soon.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That creative team screams "decent story...nothing more".

• Perhaps, but sometimes that's just what I'm in the mood to read.

• There's a DC Presents coming up which reprints a GN from the 90's by Ron Marz.  In it we see Alan Scott, Hal Jordan and Kyle Raynor each face off against the same foe in three different eras.

It might be of interest to you, Jeff, if you don't have it already.

Fear Itself

• The Wolfman/Anderson team was what made me order the book, despite its $4.99 pricetag!

• I don't remember much about Fear Itself other than a vague impression that I didn't care for it.

The five buck price-tag was off-putting, but it was an otherwise light week.

Be sure to post your thoughts here after you've read it.

• Green Lantern is perhaps my favorite DC character, but I haven’t been reading his adventures in his regular title for several years now.

Whatwhatwhaaaat???

Are you insane, Man? GL is one of the best books DC puts out!! Augh!

• Maybe GL has been a bit too heavy, too turgid, too literal, too continuity-obsessed and perhaps just a little too revelling in gore and dismemberment for Jeff's tastes?

Or that might be just me...

• SPOILERS MAY ABOUND.

Oh my god, you mean someone else suffered through this book?  At Christmas time?  I am SO SORRY, Jaafs!

The best thing about this book was the Brent Anderson art - and that was just okay.  I like Brent Anderson, and I've seen him do art I really liked.  This wasn't that quality, but it's good.

But a story?  REALLY???  It was contrived, it was pushy, it was repetitive... and there didn't seem to be any reason for it to happen!  I had to fight to keep reading it, because there was a commercial on TV for one of those fringy blanket/sleeping bag things that was more interesting.

There is no reason that Plastic Man and Green Lantern should be together.  There's no reason NOT to either, I suppose, but if I'm blowing four bucks, I'd like some rationale or chemistry or something besides "We've both been members of the Justice League."

The story went from waterfront to cosmic, with cheap gags a'plenty, and Green Lanterns constantly running monologue of 'How did this guy get in the Justice League?"  Which we all wonder, yes, but is that really all the characterization that Wolfman had for Hal?

If you ordered it, cancel it.  If you got it, return it.  If you can't return it, give it to someone less fortunate so that they can start a fire in the fireplace.  That is one dreadful comic.

ELS

• I don't really disagree with your assessment, Eric. I did label it just "...okay" after all.

The Sinestro War drove me away from GL, and although I've heard some good things about the title lately, I just can't generate any interest in the "League of Rainbow Lanterns"... and I have tried (one issue, a while ago). To me, all those different colored Lanterns spoils the uniqueness of the concept. Once they get away from that, I'll be back. In the mantime, I have to rely on mediocre one-shots such as "Weapons of Mass Deception" to get my GL fix. 

• Mark Stanislawski said:

Green Lantern is perhaps my favorite DC character, but I haven’t been reading his adventures in his regular title for several years now.

Whatwhatwhaaaat???

Are you insane, Man? GL is one of the best books DC puts out!! Augh!

Figserello said:

Maybe GL has been a bit too heavy, too turgid, too literal, too continuity-obsessed and perhaps just a little too revelling in gore and dismemberment for Jeff's tastes?

Or that might be just me...

No, I walked away from the books some time ago for just those reasons, not that I should say so; somebody might think I'm being negative ...

That said, I was interested when I saw the book on the shelf, but the $4.99 price tag was just a bit too high to gamble on it. But then, with today's 100-Page Super-Spectaculars going for $7.99, we're going to be faced with that gamble at every turn.

This reply was deleted.