Have you seen it yet? How'd you like it? What were your favorite parts?

(Oh, and even though this is a spoiler thread, it's still really nice if you say a sentence or two before any spoilers, simply because the first line or so of text shows up in the feed. So it'd be good to extend that courtesy, especially in the first week or two of release.)

Views: 1423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Captain wrote:  "Actually, Fin Fang Foom got on screen ahead of Groot. There's a Fin Fang Foom movie poster in Times Square in the climactic scene of Captain America: The First Avenger."

Rocket Racoon replies for Groot:  "Foomy was in a poster but I was a star and even got to dance on the silver screen! So, nyaah!"

Fin Fang Foom calls his agent and roars in anger about the movie deal that never got past the poster stage ....

Anyhow, great comments, Captain!

Considering those posters Reed showed the Skrulls in Fantastic Four#2, there might have been a lot of Marvel monsters that made into movies in the MU. Fin Fang Foom might have come out in their world instead of Godzilla, for instance. (Yes he was briefly a Marvel character, but they lost that license long ago.) Groot might have originally been voiced by Boris Karloff.

"Termites...no good!"

They probably would have used the same costume from the movie "From Hell It Came." Sadly I can't find a good picture of the tree monster.

Best I could find, and the printer cut off one edge, from Scary Monsters Magazine#1:

I think the future Guardians' original timeline would be in conflict with real history today. Also, young Vance Astro began appearing in stories in the late 70s or 80s, and his life has taken different course to future Vance Astro's. He eventually became Justice in Avengers.

I believe the original future Guardians timeline diverged from the Earth-616 timeline when, while visiting the present day, "ancient astronaut" Vance Astro sought out his teenage counterpart, to warn him of the hellish millennium ahead of him.  As a result of the two Vances meeting, teen-Vance's latent telekinetic powers were prematurely activated, paving the way for his current super-hero career, first as Marvel Boy and now as Justice.  Presumably, this derailed his plans to become an astronaut, and as a result, the original version of Vance will not exist as such in the direct future of Earth-616.  If a 30th century incarnation of the Guardians will exist in the Earth-616 dimension, it will most likely be quite different from the original version of the team, altho it may well resemble the present-day GotG--Drax & some version of Groot may well still be around then.

I think you're right, Dave -- I have a vague memory of the divergence happening just as you say.

Marvel had also pushed two other dystopic futures into the multiverse. Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past also exist in parallel universes, and I don't recall it specifically, but I'd bet the original Deathlok and War of the Worlds futures are also in parallel universes.

In both cases, that's almost a necessity, since the 1990s future depicted in 1970s Astonishing Tales has already come and gone. Also, I expect the upcoming Deathlok series to star a black Deathlok, like the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show, instead of the white one. Adios, Luther Manning.

And there can't be a Martian invasion, because we've seen Mars as recently as the current Jonathan Hickman Avengers title, and there are no Martians there. Instead, there were Builders.

I think the X-books are still playing around with some elements of the Days of Future Past still being possible for our universe, but events have already diverged too much for the specific Days of Future Past depicted in The X-Men #141/Uncanny X-Men #142 to occur.

And Charlie, I don't recall specifically how long it took me to post my comments above, but I'd guess no more than an hour. If I wasn't a really fast writer, I'd never be able to do all the things I do!

Pretty sure the divergence happened in the Defenders, Deathlok was mentioned as happening in another dimension in Captain America, I think, when he time traveled and ran into Cap. Wasn't Deathlok's wife black?

There can always be a Martian invasion. They don't have to be native to Mars, just take it over first and then attack us. Like the Stone Men from Saturn were "revealed" in their second appearance to not actually come from Saturn but used it as their base to invade Earth. That was during one of those weird cosmic ship storylines where Thor and friends took off to explore the galaxy. I think they were looking for Odin, who had a tendency to disappear in the 70s.

What's funny now is that not only is the dystopian near future of the 1990s as imagined in the 1970s now by necessity part of a parallel past, so are those very stories of the 1970s.  After all, Vance Astro can't have gone from the 3010s to the 1970s to tell the Defenders how as a young man in 1988 he left Earth to travel to a distant planet when according to the present time-line the Defenders didn't form untll sometime after 2000.  But then is Vance Astro still a kid due forever to go to the stars about 15 years in the future?  Or will there ever be a story set in a modern Marvel story in which Vance Astro embarks on that 1000 year long journey?  And although Vance was a big fan of Captain America, apparently he didn't keep up on the exploits of the Fantastic Four, otherwise he would have known that they had already traveled to a distant inhabited planet and back in record time twice by 1965.

The way nothing is permanent (including death) if he ever took off for that space trip, they'd come up with some reason for him to come back. And with all the FTL travel in the MU, it's doubtful they'd send a ship up that slow. They'd get Reed Richards to make the ship and he'd reach Yondu in a few days instead of a thousand years.

I'm sure they've fixed it by now, but I remember wondering why the FF could travel to another galaxy using a ship Reed designed, but the Avengers couldn't go FTL even as late as just before The Crossing unless a source of incredble power that Tony Stark couldn't make was put in the engine (usually Thor's hammer.) Seems like if the engines can't normally do that supercharging them like that would quickly burn them out, "Thor broke another quinjet!" Why could Reed design a super power source but Tony couldn't? Did Reed steal the Skrull ship back in FF#2 and copy it? That was, according to Immortus (and how could you trust him) the Kree went from the stone age to the space age, killing Skrulls and stealing their ships.

I think the fact he didn't know the FF had traveled as far as the Andromeda Galaxy by 1965 shows he didn't come from the Marvel Universe. I haven't seen his first appearance (that and the Dr. Doom issue are the only ones I'm missing, although my Spider-Man long since lost the cover and a couple of pages and getting a replacement is way out of my price range so I'll have to settle for a reprint once I get around to collecting Amazing Spider-Man) but I suspect it was supposed to more or less be our future. The problem is Marvel and DC both can't resist pushing series that should be stand alone into their universes. Like Martian Manhunter trapped on Earth in his own series then hanging out with Superman and Green Lantern in the Justice League, who could easily take him home at any time. This makes perfect sense if the J'onn J'onzz of Detective Comics isn't the same being in the JLA, but an alternate version from another dimension where Superman and Green Lantern don't exist and thus can't help him get home. Making them the same being caused too many discrepancies that had to either be explained or ignored.

To steal a line, "my head hurts".

Fred W. Hill said:

What's funny now is that not only is the dystopian near future of the 1990s as imagined in the 1970s now by necessity part of a parallel past, so are those very stories of the 1970s.  After all, Vance Astro can't have gone from the 3010s to the 1970s to tell the Defenders how as a young man in 1988 he left Earth to travel to a distant planet when according to the present time-line the Defenders didn't form untll sometime after 2000.  But then is Vance Astro still a kid due forever to go to the stars about 15 years in the future?  Or will there ever be a story set in a modern Marvel story in which Vance Astro embarks on that 1000 year long journey?  And although Vance was a big fan of Captain America, apparently he didn't keep up on the exploits of the Fantastic Four, otherwise he would have known that they had already traveled to a distant inhabited planet and back in record time twice by 1965.

That's why, when people ask Dean R. Koontz how to go about writing time travel stories, he just tells them "Don't."
Randy Jackson said:

To steal a line, "my head hurts".

Just saw the movie this week. We were waiting for friends to be able to join us. We all greatly enjoyed it every step of the way, including the Howard sequence.

Most of the characters were new to me. The most impressive visual to me was Thanos. He was dead on.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service