Inspired by Future Quest, I am soliciting opinions of the following H-B shows. I'm familiar with Jonny Quest and Space Ghost, but I've never seen any of the ones listed below. Which ones can you recommend? Not recommend? All of these are available on DVD. Any thought/commets would be appreciated.

Herculoids

Thundarr

Frankenstein, Jr. & the Impossibles

Mightor

Birdman

Views: 1149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An interesting point about Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles was, despite Franky getting top billing, most of the intro was on the Impossibles. It ends with the narrator (Paul Frees I'm sure) yelling Impossibles! Impossibles! Impossibles! As if Franky has been forgotten a l long time ago.

Frankie had a great voice though.

True but the way he got pushed out of his own intro must have really left him in the lurch.

Ouch!

Ronald Morgan said:

True but the way he got pushed out of his own intro must have really left him in the lurch.

Wonderful informative and interesting stuff Commander

Thankyou.

More for the wish list.

Commander Benson said:

Hope this helps.

Jeff, of those you listed, I consider Thundarr to be a cut above the rest. 

Created by Steve Gerber with design work by Jack Kirby it's got o Conan/Kamandi/POTA/Moorcock vibe to it.

So noted.

It's taking me longer than anticipated to work my way through the Pink Panther cartoons. Last night while Tracy was out, I watched the six-part Space Ghost "Council of Doom" story, which features cameos by the Herculoids, Mightor, Moby Dick and Shazzan.

We finally (Finally!) finished watching Pink Panther and have now moved on to the first of our “new” Hanna-Barbera series, Herculoids. We watched the first episode last night, and it was everything I hoped/expected it would be. No real “origin” episode; kids bac k then were expected to hit the ground running. There was even a fair amount of antecedent action. The voices were great (many from Jonny Quest, including “Race Bannon”), and the sound effects were also from the familiar H-B stable. The music was more exciting than anything I would expect to hear in a cartoon these days, some of it from Jonny Quest, some I had never heard before. I don’t expect to do an episode-by-episde summary here, but I do plan to update my progress from time to time and announce which series we’ll move onto next.

"No real 'origin' episode; kids back then were expected to hit the ground running."

Voiceover narration explaining the basic premise was added with the third episode (each "episode" features two 10-minute stories).

Commander Benson said:

I would have linked it, but those entries appeared on the long-departed old board and I haven't added them to the current board as "From the Archives" entries, yet.  There are seven parts, and I didn't want to go that long in "re-runs", instead of writing some fresh articles.

However, if you folks don't mind . . . . 

Yes, please. I read through this discussion before deciding which to watch, then I revisit it as I complete them. You didn't post your treatment of Space Ghost because I was already familiar with it, but I would enjoy reading your thoughts on it nevertheless. After we finished watching Herculoids we decided to move on to Mightor next. While we're waiting for it to arrive, we're re-watching Space Ghost.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Commander Benson said:

I would have linked it, but those entries appeared on the long-departed old board and I haven't added them to the current board as "From the Archives" entries, yet.  There are seven parts, and I didn't want to go that long in "re-runs", instead of writing some fresh articles.

However, if you folks don't mind . . . . 

Yes, please. I read through this discussion before deciding which to watch, then I revisit it as I complete them. You didn't post your treatment of Space Ghost because I was already familiar with it, but I would enjoy reading your thoughts on it nevertheless. After we finished watching Herculoids we decided to move on to Mightor next. While we're waiting for it to arrive, we're re-watching Space Ghost.

Well, my next two Deck Log entries were slated to be "From the Archives", and I was ready to post the first to-morrow.  That, plus my usual holiday entries, would push starting a re-post of my "Saturday Morning Cartoon" series to next year.  So, I'm going to go ahead and shelve what I've got prepared now and start the "Cartoon" series.  It'll take about a week to get the first one revised (and improved) and attach the art.  I might be able to get them out at a pace of two a month.

Be informed, though.  I don't really touch on the Hanna-Barbera "super-hero" cartoons until the third and, mostly, the fourth entries, so it'll be awhile before I get to the subject matter in which you're most interested, Jeff.

But I'll see what I can do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service