Inspired by Future Quest, I am soliciting opinions of the following H-B shows. I'm familiar with Jonny Quest and Space Ghost, but I've never seen any of the ones listed below. Which ones can you recommend? Not recommend? All of these are available on DVD. Any thought/commets would be appreciated.

Herculoids

Thundarr

Frankenstein, Jr. & the Impossibles

Mightor

Birdman

Views: 1150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I don't really touch on the Hanna-Barbera "super-hero" cartoons until the third and, mostly, the fourth entries, so it'll be awhile before I get to the subject matter in which you're most interested, Jeff."

I'm certain I won't be bored in the meantime. :)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I don't really touch on the Hanna-Barbera "super-hero" cartoons until the third and, mostly, the fourth entries, so it'll be awhile before I get to the subject matter in which you're most interested, Jeff."

I'm certain I won't be bored in the meantime. :)

I take that very kindly, sir.

We’re now about half way through Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor. For every “Space Ghost” we must have a “Dino-Boy” it seems, and Mightor’s Dino-Boy is Moby Dick. Tom, Dick and Tub were wisely left out of the recent Future Quest comic book series; their inclusion would have strained the audience’s willing sense of disbelief to the breaking point. According to the opening narration, Tom and Tub were out with their uncle when they were swept over the side of the ship, yet I don’t see them as brothers. What parents would name one of their boys “Tom” and the other “Tub”? (I wonder which was the favorite?) No, I see them as cousins.

With all of the cartoon crossover series these days (the aforementioned Future Quest , various Warner Brothers one-shots, etc., the one I’d really like to see is Flintstones/Mightor. The anthropomorphic animals of both series are almost identical, plus Wilma and Shana could almost be sisters. And what kind of trouble could Li’l Rock get into if left in charge of Pebbles and Bam-Bam? Speaking of which, when Tor or Shana perpetually ask, “Where’s Li’l Rock?” it’s all I can do to keep from shouting, “In Arkansas!”

And what, exactly, is the relationship between Li’l Rock and Tor & Shana? Sometimes it seems as if he’s Tor’s brother, and sometimes Shana’s. (The relationship between Domo and Zandor & Tara on Herculoids was almost equally as softly defined. Althjough it was stated that he was their son, they certainly didn’t behave toward one another in typical parent/child fashion.) for that matter, what ever happened to the old man who granted Tor his power from the opening sequence?

Mightor’s club is every bit as versatile as Green Lantern’s power ring. (There’s an idea for a crossover. GL has recently met space Ghost. Why not Mightor?) Tracy’s problem with the show (which she brings up every episode) is that Tor has a pet dinosaur named Tog and Mightor also has an identical pet dinosaur named Tog, yet none of the other characters ever seem to put two and two together. I keep pointing out to her the Captain America & Bucky/Steve Rogers & Bucky precedent but it does no good.

I was a little too young to have seen these Hanna-Barbera classics when I was young (except for Jonny Quest because it was repeated into the ‘70s), I’m enjoying them “mightily” now. If I had seen them when I was young, they certainly would have remained fondly remembered favorites throughout my life.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Tracy’s problem with the show (which she brings up every episode) 

It's true, she does.  ;)

I remember the Herculoids most of all.  They had the coolest planet to live on and I never once saw Dorno got to school :)

And say what you will about the limited animation, it didn't look that bad on my 9 inch black and white.

The Baron said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Tracy’s problem with the show (which she brings up every episode) 

It's true, she does.  ;)

The thing that bugs me about Tog is that the opening narration says that Tog is “transferred” into a fire-breathing dragon rather than “transformed” into a fire-breathing dragon.

We are now up to the episode in which Moby Dick is shown reading Morse code. (What!?) Just a simple “SOS” but still. Even I didn’t recognize it… until Tracy pointed out to me there were large and small bubbles. I’ve come to the conclusion that Tom & Tub may have found their way back to their uncle’s house. Nothing of their home life is ever shown, not living with their uncle, but not living under the sea, either. Where do they sleep? I’m guessing they spend their nights at their uncle’s house and spend their days adventuring with Moby.

OFF TOPIC: We went to the main Half Price Books location over the weekend and found several tins of Disney cartoons still in their shrink-wrap and at prices lower than we’ve ever seen on Amazon.com. We acquired…

Mickey Mouse in Living Color (1935-1938)
The Complete Pluto (1930-1947)
The Complete Goofy (1939-1961)
Walt Disney on the Front Lines (1941-1945)

We previously acquired the second volume of color Mickey cartoons (1939-1995) at a good price after we finished watching the two volumes of b&w Mickey but we haven’t watched it yet. We still plan to continue with Hanna-Barbera for a while, but we are set with cartoons for years to come.

Maybe all pet dinosaurs were called Tog?

The name might be a joke, substituting t for d.

I'll run it by her...

I don't remember any of the classic H-B adventure/superhero series first run, but they were all great programs even within the limitations of the Saturday morning budget format and network program guidelines.

The last great one H-B produced was the lone season of Pirates of Dark Water, before Ted Turner bought the company and it was later absorbed by the Warner Brothers/DC conglomerate.

Besides Future Quest and the occasional attempt at the adventurous Space Ghost in the comics, would love to see the other properties return somehow, especially if done right.

I don't remember any details about the heroic Space Ghost cartoons. I appreciated them at the time because they were not in the "camp" vein.

HB produced Swat Kats and I thought that show was pretty good.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

I don't remember any of the classic H-B adventure/superhero series first run, but they were all great programs even within the limitations of the Saturday morning budget format and network program guidelines.

The last great one H-B produced was the lone season of Pirates of Dark Water, before Ted Turner bought the company and it was later absorbed by the Warner Brothers/DC conglomerate.

Besides Future Quest and the occasional attempt at the adventurous Space Ghost in the comics, would love to see the other properties return somehow, especially if done right.

Mark:

SWAT Kats was produced at the same time H-B did The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, as part of Ted Turner's conglomerate and not as the independent animation company they once were.

Both were good, but I lean toward Jonny myself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service