So normally my pal Hoy posts these birthday tributes to our standard-bearer, the highly esteemed Mr. Silver Age, Craig Shutt, but as the day has almost drawn to a close and I just now remembered, I guess I'd better get this up on the board soon before the day is completely over.

Every year, as a token of my high regard for the man I call Mr. Age, I comb every garage sale, flea market, attic, used bookstore and comics shop to find the perfect set of comics to give him as a birthday gift, and this year is no exception. Of course, since the whole point is to get these to Mr. Age on his actual birthday, time is of the essence, so in the interest of expediency I've found that it's just as meaningful if instead of sending the actual comic books, I send digital versions of the covers (courtesy of the Grand Comics Database). The thought is truly what counts, right?

So Happy Birthday, Mr. Age! I hope these covers give you many happy hours of pleasure!

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, and here are some coupons Craig can print out and use as part of his birthday celebration.

Hoy

Several HUNDRED?  Got any more for us poor, belegered silver age baby boomers to enjoy?

(Not often that the birthday boy is asked to provide gifts for his friends, now is it?)

Mr. Silver Age said:

Thanks guys for the kind wishes (and Bronze Age cover). A guy nicknamed Mr. Silver Age probably can't get away with claiming he's 29 any more. But those AARP discounts are handy.

And thanks for the classic covers, Hoy! Those are true gems. I'm well familiar with all those stories, having used them in columns or trivia quizzes over the years. I will need a reason to pull some of these out and read them sometime. My column was an excellent justification for that.

That last one is a special favorite of mine, both because it features Lana so prominently and also because it was the cover-highlighted cover for a column I did on super-hero vacations back in the summer of 2000.

It came out just as they were holding the All-Time Classic Convention in White Plains, N.Y., with dozens of SA creators in attendance.

I was an invited guest, moderating panels and handing out this issue from my table, when CBG was kind enough to send me several hundred to display. So I have fond memories of it.

-- MSA

I wonder how many of those coupons were ever used? They sure printed a lot. Those ran forever, making me wish I lived within 1000 miles of the place, which I didn't.

-- MSA

Several HUNDRED?  Got any more for us poor, belegered silver age baby boomers to enjoy?

Alas, they were snatched up by the fans at the convention and have no doubt been double-bagged and stored as collectors' items all these years. Hard to believe that was 13 years ago already. That was part of the Golden Age of Mr. Silver Age.

-- MSA

Mr. Age said, "That last one is a special favorite of mine, both because it features Lana so prominently and also because it was the cover-highlighted cover for a column I did on super-hero vacations back in the summer of 2000."

This is a special favorite of mine too because, even though I also have the one above, this one was the first Lois comic I ever bought. Also as Hoy says, "we all think she's hot".

Andy

Hot in a two piece bathing suit?  I would think she was hot because of Supes heat vision! LOL!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service