Happy birthday to our host, Mr. Silver Age, Craig Shutt

Even though he rarely shows up to celebrate goofy comics with us these days, we can't let this special day go by without wishing our host Craig Shutt, aka Mr. Silver Age, the happiest of birthdays.

--you pal, Hoy

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Happy Belated, Mr. SA!

In order to coax our esteemed colleague into posting more often, let's all say really stupid things about the Silver Age that he can't possibly NOT rebut. (Hold your tongue, Commander.)

I'll go first:  Any fool knows the Silver Age ended in 1979. HARUMPH!

Who says it ended?

Since the Silver Age began with the Flash's debut in Showcase #4 in 1956, the changes in the industry in the early 60s represent the end of the Silver Age. The debut of the Fantastic Four marks the beginning of the Bronze Age. The proof: the Bronze Age was dominated by Marvel, and as Marvel comics got better, DC comics got worse.

Also note that DC artists who used the Barry style in the 1950s (Joe Certa, Mike Sekowsky, Gil Kane, Carmine Infantino) abandoned it coming into the 1960s. In fact, a more adequate understanding of comics history would date the beginning of the Silver Age to Dan and Sy Barry's arrival at DC in the later 40s.

Thanks for the effort, but this is going nowhere good. You guys may think this is all crazy talk, but I've heard worse.

The only quibble I have is that the FF marked the beginning of the Marvel Age. Conan clearly launched the Bronze Age, as any fool can see. That makes for a short Silver Age, but not if you begin it with Captain Comet.

Either people have given up wondering about this stuff (which is possible the further we get from it) or I just don't hang out places where it comes up. I see it rarely on FB, but I try to steer clear.

-- MSA

I thought it was obvious when the Silver and Bronze ages of comics began.

Hoy

I agree with you: Everyone thinks it's obvious.

-- MSA

Hoy,

Just to complicate matters for Mr. Age, the evidence is abundant that the Silver Age started much earlier than 1956 and that the Bronze Age is fairly recent.  It's gonna take a while to sort all of this out.

I've been going off the grid a lot lately, but that's really no excuse for missing Mr. Age's birthday. Luckily, having reached whatever advanced age Mr. Age has reached, he probably will think it's his birthday up until the parties end and the final presents have been unwrapped. And speaking of presents, as has been my custom for much longer than I can remember, every year I bestow upon Mr. Age the gift of three fabulously important and/or expensive and/or thematic comic books... well, to be more precise, I bestow upon him three front covers from those comic books... well, to slice it even a little thinner, I bestow upon him digital posts of three covers on this here website. So while he might not be able to take these comic books down to his local comics shop and swap them for cold, hard cash, he can at least sleep better at night knowing that his ol' pal Dave hasn't forgotten his birthday by more than a day or so. Happy birthday, Mr. Age!

Thanks, Dave. As I say every year, it's the thought that counts, which is a good thing. I will say that this year, you outdid yourself in sending three comics my way that I not only do not have but have never seen before. I hope this "staying off the grid" thing isn't for any reason beyond being too popular and over-scheduled. I'd hate to think silly stuff like work was getting in the way.

-- MSA

Belated Happy Birthday, Mr. SA! I hope you had a good one

What he said. (Both things.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service