Replies

• CPO Sharky, but he could play a straight part as well.  I remember he did a movie with Tony Curits where he played the villain and he played a bit of a jerk in a Twilight Zone with Burgess Meredith.

• When history finally comes to a consensus on the greatest of all works produced by the King, Jack Kirby, it will inevitably and conclusively determine that SPJO # 141 was indeed written and drawn by Jolly Jack. Now go on and get outta here, ya hockey puck!

• I'm glad you guys always remember. It gives me something to hold on to in this ever-changing world in which we live.

-- MSA

• Live and let die, Mr. Age.

• Don Rickles almost made it to another birthday. We can be thankful that he gave us so many years of entertainment and that Jack Kirby gave us Goody Rickels in his honor.

Hoy

• That cover has shown up several dozen times in my Facebook feed today. It's one of the reasons that I'm sorry Don is no longer with us.

• The death of a loved one always seems to bring families back together, even those that have been away for quite some time, so it's nice to see Uncle Don being remembered here at the Mr. Age Forum. Since the cover to SPJO # 141 gets posted every time I post, it's only that I post the less-familiar but no-less sincere cover to SPJO # 139 here today.

Rest in peace, Don! Maybe Jack can draw a third cover of you today, up in the great Boom Tube in the sky.

1936840525?profile=original

• I used to love him on the Dean Martin Roasts.  I do remember the Twilight Zone episode too.  One thing I really remember was when he was doing CPO Sharky and did a guest stint on the Tonight Show he broke something.  During the show Johnny Carson walked across the studio onto the set of CPO Sharky with the camera following him.

• Mark S. Ogilvie said:

One thing I really remember was when he was doing CPO Sharky and did a guest stint on the Tonight Show he broke something.  During the show Johnny Carson walked across the studio onto the set of CPO Sharky with the camera following him.

I was an inveterate Carson watcher and I saw that when it happened.  For those who came in late:  one night, Rickles was guest-hosting the show and in the first segment, after the monologue, opened with Doc Severinsen in the chair next to the desk.  (Ed McMahon was also off that night.)  Rickles went into one of his comedic rants and accidentally broke the cigarette box on Johnny Carson's desk.  Not much was made of it that night, but . . . .

The next night, Carson was back.  Again, in the first segment, after the monologue, Johnny was at his desk, with Doc seated next to him.  Carson started whatever bit was planned for the first segment when he discovered the lid to his cigarette box was broken.  It appeared that no-one told Johnny what happened.  His surprise may have been staged, but I don't think Carson was that good of an actor; he looked truly caught off guard by the broken box.

Carson asked his producer, Fred deCordova, who told him that Rickles was taping an episode of C.P.O. Sharkey at that very time.  And as we both remember, Mr. Ogilvie, Johnny grabbed the broken box, walked off the Tonight Show soundstage, across the hall, and onto the Sharkey set, interrupting the taping.

Carson confronted Rickles, and while it was laced with humour, it was apparent---at least to my eyes---that Carson was genuinely peeved at Rickles.

Many apparent "off-script" incidents on Carson's Tonight Show were actually planned, but I don't think this one was.  It was a rare incidence of an actual unscripted event occurring on the show.

• I remember it being very funny at the time.  It was also weird to see the camera go from one studio to another.

This reply was deleted.