Replies

• I've heard of it. It was one the Old Man used to read back when he was younger.

• I remember it from my childhood. Apparently the strip ran from 1919 to 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Teen

• I've heard of it, too, but the only strips I've read were in collections.

I thought there was a mistake today, but I went straight to the comments section and that cleared up the mystery. Apparently, this style will be used in the introduction sequemce only, then it will revert back to Staton.

• Theoretically what other old newspaper characters would they have the rights to have turn up there?

• Andy Capp?  Scorchy Smith?  Torchy Todd?

• I think they're free to use any characters that have been published by the same syndicate. I base this on the short-lived Sam's Strip, produced by Mort Walker and Jerry Dumas of Beetle Bailey fame. Here's a description from Don Markstein's Toonopedia: "Sam's Strip"

They also would be free to use any character that has fallen into public domain. If they're careful, they might be able to use other characters under the parody provision of the First Amendment. 

• So Brenda Starr, Gasoline Alley, and Moon Mullins. Also Broom Hilda if they can make that make sense.

• I think Brenda Starr would be the most likely.

• Horror movie host Svengoolie announces he'll be appearing in Dick Tracy this week.

• That's it? That's the end of the cosplay story? Man, that was boring. The Spirit crossover wasn't much better, come to think of it. It was fun to see all of the characters who crosed over from different strips (Spirit, Terry & the Pirates, Little Orphan Annie), but the story itself merely came to a perfunctory stop, there was no real climax or excitement.

Today they styarted a new storyline, but Joe Staton did not return to the art. I thought the change was for one story only. It may be time for me to stop reading this strip.

This reply was deleted.